• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Log - Am I Going to Be Able to Switch from Suboxone to Heroin before Going Cold

m060mm

Bluelighter
I've had about 75-80 days of Suboxone to disassociate from the habit mentally, but physically I traded one substance for another.

Now, based on some anecdotal evidence from others here, I'm back to using (in less than recreational amounts - just to be well) to get the buprenorphine out of my system, which is far longer acting and thus, prolongs withdrawal.

Anything that crosses your mind about it, please don't hesitate. I'll also keep this updated to give hope or advise caution to the people in similar situations, considering this route.

First thoughts: I don't like this anymore. I really can't see myself living the lifestyle I lived while deep in my addiction and I don't even enjoy the drug itself. Hopeful. Only Day 1.

Alright! That is good to hear!
As you know, this is exactly what I did and it really worked well for me!

First thing is first, do you have someone to hold you accountable after the week (or what ever time frame, two weeks at the most) of switching to a short acting opiate?

Be careful doing this. I have tried it in the past, and I had the exact same "first thoughts" as you, thinking that I didn't even like heroin anymore and couldn't see myself going back on it full force.

Sadly that sentiment only lasted a couple days before I was back to slamming it and off on another run.

Be careful doing this. I have tried it in the past, and I had the exact same "first thoughts" as you, thinking that I didn't even like heroin anymore and couldn't see myself going back on it full force.

Sadly that sentiment only lasted a couple days before I was back to slamming it and off on another run.

Thank you very much for weighing in - you predicted the future. To a lesser extreme.

I naturally took to ExInMill's higher recommendation of two weeks. But my still un-hooked brain says that's too much freedom and liability. This option seems to only be a possibility if I can remain controlled and kick rather quickly. I was considering two weeks but at 48 hours, I'm thinking I can't justify more than a week.

We'll see - I just really really really don't want this to end with me dependent on anything.

The reason I used for two weeks (again methadone for a week and then heroin for a week) is the long W/D period associated with Subs. If a week is all you can let yourself do then good! That shows your addictive side isint winning the argument.

I'm proud and I'm disappointed. I used way too quickly and so I cut myself off. Down to 1mg/day, consistently. Sore, etc. but I may be able to wait this one out. If I do go back to the short-term opiate relief, I'm going to have someone make sure I don't get carried away.

I can definitely see it helping/working for people in certain circumstance. In 48 hours it allowed me to go from a realistic 2-4mg/day suboxone dose to a regimented 1mg/day with some side effects. There's something to 'cleaning house' with opiate receptors.

Just a quick update (maybe this should be in TR or somewhere out of the way?) but I tried to kick Suboxone by going from ~3mg/day to probably 6mg/day for two days, then 'coasting', after reading of people taking high doses and allowing a natural decline of plasma levels.

I made it to day 6, today, and decided to take 1mg. I'm going to take 1mg on unbearable days, but otherwise try to remain completely sober.

The 1mg makes all the difference and I hear of people tapering to 0.125mg. Anyone with experience have a recommendation that I do it one way or another?

I don't have as much a problem being on a low dose anymore, as I think it actually acts as an antidepressant for me. Then again I was hurting (physical peak came just before the mental peak where I caved).

Evil opioid.

edit: Feel free to pile on and talk about/leave notes about your experience. That's what I'm interested in most; we're gonna find something that works and hopefully make it easier for people.

Your doing great.. keep at it.. not sure if taking the 1mg will help you or just keep you in acutes for longer.. usually we need to stop manipulating the opiate receptors to get them shut down.

Nice work you will be free soon:)