• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycontin trouble

kepsky

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I've been on oxycontin for a few months now with bad back problems, I am prescribed 10mg twice a day, but sometimes I end up taking up to 5 in a row, and now that i've done some reading , the withdrawal can be horrendous, and now I'm scared to even take some again, if anyone has some experience with weening off oxycontin, i'd like to hear it please

thank you.

Check out this thread.

But realistically you haven't been using that much or that long, so even if you decide to quit cold turkey your withdrawals shouldn't be too bad, as you make it seem like you haven't been taking much lately.

Why can't you just take it as prescribed? Does 2 a day not handle the pain? If that's the case you should talk to your doctor. You were obviously prescribed them for a reason so this is definitely something to discuss with the prescriber, unless the only issue is abuse.

Yes, sometimes the 10mg on it's own is not enough, I'm not willing to say because he's probably just going to up the dose and get myself in a deeper hole, but I really wish there was a pain medicine that isn't addictive but equally successful.

You're on a pretty low dose, so the withdrawals will not be that bad. A lot of the horror stories you've read have no doubt been about people with much higher tolerances.

Still, it will be uncomfortable.. but very bearable.

If you don't want your dose to be increased, talk with your doctor about adding other painkillers that might augment the effect of your oxycodone. Multidrug therapy is usually better for pain control than relying on opioids alone.

Thanks I will talk to Dr, reading mega thread now, some stories have really freaked me out, if it's this bad why does Dr even prescribe it.

Your doctor should really be managing this ;)

Honestly, worst case scenario when you stop needing the pills he can wean you off of them rather painlessly. The withdrawals most people bitch about are from sudden cessation and that really DOES suck ass. I would talk to your doc and try to be honest with him? Well don't tell him you chuck back loads more pills than he prescribes or you'll get a fucking abuse note in your file!

You shouldn't be having very BAD withdrawals with that low dose when I quit oxy it was hell because I was at 500 mgs a day like everybody else said most horror stories you hear are from idiotic people like me who get way out of hand with their addiction

Sincee u are prescribed these meds just contact ur doctor and tell him u r frightened of dependence. If he's a half way decent doctor he'll help u form a tapering schedule!!!
good luck

It's not called pain "removal" it's called pain "management", which means you will always feel pain just not as much. The OC is not supposed to totally remove your pain.