• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Opiate Addiction and tapering.

Feelin-u4ia

Bluelighter
Hey all, Sorry to burden those trying to quit, But I figured this would be a more appropriate place to ask this question considering that most of you have been thru it since you some of you have successfully quit :), here it goes

ill make a long story short, never had wds for the past 9 months of using, started using more frequently like every day for 2 weeks, BOOM hell of wds. I have a very high tolerance, I CAN take up to 960-1,000 mgs of hydro (CWE'D ofcourse) and still function very fine. I believe my tolerance is crucial info to add to what im about to ask.

Being that my tolerance is high and my AVERAGE dose unless im really trying to get thrashed is about 150-300 mgs.

question is I want to taper off and try using the MINIMUM amount every other day to keep the physcail wds away and hopfully lower my tolerance THAN finally lead up to hopefully quitting.

Because I am the withdrawls are alot stronger coming off a 900 + mg usage as opposed to a 20-50 mg usage? correct?

anyways, 150 mgs keeps me totally out of wds like 100% even gets my feelin real good.

what do you think is the lowest amount of mgs I can take to not even feel good I just wanna keep me body happy so I can stop getting these shit flu like symptoms.

any people on here with similar dosage? How did you do it? I have tried cold turkey like 6 times now.. Its a fail, And I couldn't find a taper plan for someone with a abnormally high dose like me? Any ideas on what I can/should try? Thanks in advance?

I had to go to a detox center. They will keep you mostly comfortable through withdrawal, but just know that your going to have to feel it....if u feel bad good...remember it always.

I had to go to a detox center. They will keep you mostly comfortable through withdrawal, but just know that your going to have to feel it....if u feel bad good...remember it always.

Haha, don't take this the wrong way or anything cuz I'm not calling you a lyer or anything but I guess it depends on the facility and the medication they give for withdrawals and how your body reacts to the meds. I went to a detox facility a couple years ago and they had me on Clonodine. I've heard a lot of ppl that like it and thinks it helps but for me it didn't do shit. They had me on Clonodine, flexeril and trazadone. The only thing that actally worked was the trazadone. I felt like complete shit for the 5 days I was there. I don't think Clonodine is used specifically for withdrawals, if I'm not mistaken it's blood pressure meds. Durring withdrawals you blood pressure is high so they think that if they lower it than the intensity of the withdrawals will decrease. For me it only worked in theory. I guess it works for some though.

In a way I was expecting to be on methadone or subs and hardly feel any of the effect of withdrawals. Shouldn't of went in with that mindset. But yeah, you gonna have to feel something. I felt the full effects. Now that I think about it, it's like the meds they had me on just made the withdrawals worse. This was two years ago when I went. I kept using when I got out and eventually went to heroin before I quit a week ago. My withdrawals were no wear near as bad as when I was in detox which is weird cuz I've been using twice as long plus heroin. I haven't been on any meds since I quit. I had a few lorazepams for the first couple days but other than that, nothing. I quit cold turkey with no help and it's been easier than when I tried two years ago at detox

anyways, 150 mgs keeps me totally out of wds like 100% even gets my feelin real good.

what do you think is the lowest amount of mgs I can take to not even feel good I just wanna keep me body happy so I can stop getting these shit flu like symptoms.

I've tapered off hydro before, it was relatively easy: 1 less pill per day every three days until 3 pills then cut in half and 1/2 less pill every three days until done. Use a 7 day pill box. Stick to the the schedule. You'll feel a little shitty but it is totally doable.

I'm actually thinking about doing it again here as my "end run" off of harder drugs.

Although Not an opiate by design, Tramadol effects the same intake receptors that opiates do. I was on 50mg tramadol up to 15 times a day and when the supply ran out, severe withdrawal ensued. It included sweats,diarrhea, head ache. Vomiting, and the worst was lethargy and leg craps/shakes. I could not sleep. I could not lay still or sit still at work at all. It lasted over a week and a half and I ended up falling off the wagon in order to taper off. I found using only 2 50mg pills a day, and one before bed helped tremendously. I then thought ahead and got some herb to help sleep. This got me through the night. Another option I used was replace the tramadol with something I new I could stop cold turkey with. Sometimes it was hydro 10/325 or 7.5's ... THIS WAS ONLY BECAUSE I UNDERSTOOD MY BODY and am in the chemistry and physiology field. do not recommend this approach. I was able to adjust the receptors to release the need for one chemical and allow another to taper off entirely. I had zero withdrawal from this. This is my personal story. Hope it gave another perspective. Always find help. Always. The problem with tramadol, is docs use it to taper hydro addicts off of their drug, but don't truly understand the consequences. It can become just as much a problem for the patient, than the original drug. Keep that in mind. Be responsible and be safe. Research any all facilities if that's what you believe you need. Strength comes from within.

I don't think Clonodine is used specifically for withdrawals, if I'm not mistaken it's blood pressure meds

Yes its indicated for withdrawals as well as blood pressure, it helps alot of people.

Have you considered short term switching to a long acting opioid ( suboxone or methadone ) and tapering. Just make sure if you go this way to tell them right of the get go that you want to be on it for a short period of time and not maintenance.

I would personally do a quick suboxone taper, which is what I did, along with clonidine and gabapentin. I have been off opiates for a few years now but I had about a 5-7 80mg oxy a day smoked I did a 7-14 day suboxone taper, since I probably quit at least 7 times before I got clean for good. A lot of detox and doctors know about fast suboxone tapers now, back in '09 every one I knew either was on a long term suboxone taper or they went to a detox that used other meds. The first day was the worst since you actually have to be pretty sick in order to take your first dose of suboxone other wise you risk precipitated WD. That's when I discovered taking either clonidine or gabapentin that first day would cure about 75% of the WD symptoms and I could make it to the 24hr mark before starting to dose suboxones. I would take 1mg ever hour until I felt normal and that would be my starting dose for the taper. I'm not a doctor or anything like that, this was just how I got off opiates.
http://www.suboxforum.com/can-you-take-suboxone-and-neurontin-t1694.html here's some info about interactions that gabapentin and clonidine have with suboxone http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=704-0,439-2040 also I should clarify I used clonidine OR gabapentin, NOT Both on the 1st day. Also clonidine and gabapentin doesn't work for every one hopefully 1 will work for you.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-remedies-used-for-easing-Opiate-W-D-symptoms!

That thread contains a lot of useful information about medications that help for withdrawal.

Otherwise, for tapering - I would probably suggest stabilizing at a consistent daily dose, such as the lower end of what you quoted as being typical for you - so maybe start at 150mgs/day for a couple weeks, and then as far as how much to drop down/how frequently - it really depends on how quickly you want to taper. If you don't mind tapering slowly you could do 10mgs/week - that'd be 15 weeks of tapering, assuming you manage to stick with it - but should be much less painful then an accelerated taper.

fuck the bullshit fellas. I man-up'd! went cold turkey, day five and I see the beautiful golden fucking light at the end of this fucking hell story. fuck 500-900 mg doses and went cold turkey.. if I did it i living proof anyone can get past it and thats just truth, iv prepared myself now for paws with a ton of natural anti anx/depressants so hopefully this will go for the long haul. I believe in anyone else trying this <3 best of luck to you all, I will check in time after time

fuck the bullshit fellas. I man-up'd! went cold turkey, day five and I see the beautiful golden fucking light at the end of this fucking hell story. fuck 500-900 mg doses and went cold turkey.. if I did it i living proof anyone can get past it and thats just truth, iv prepared myself now for paws with a ton of natural anti anx/depressants so hopefully this will go for the long haul. I believe in anyone else trying this <3 best of luck to you all, I will check in time after time

Spoke too soon. FUCK!
just fucked up and slipped. wasted 4 days of wds hell and back now for more shit WDS. I hate my life. someone please tell me why I do this to myself? I was just bearly at the end of the tunnel of the worst wds I ever had now I ruined it and have to go back thru it all over again. FUCK!

Addiction is a motherfucker, been there done this so many times that I can't count.

Personally I suggest tapering with medication and professional help.... I know it sounds like bullshit but that help could be the difference between sober and relapse. I used opioid drugs for 10 years and was a fairly heavy heroin addict for 5 of them, I detoxed and relapsed more times than i can count.... no matter how hard I tried. Now I'm on MMT and getting shit back together, I'm still an addict and I know I'm probably more addicted physically now than ever but mentally I feel stronger having the counselling and time away from the opioids.
I'm not saying to go get on maintenance, that should be the last thing done if nothing else works.... but i do thing professional help could benefit you.

Hope all works out,
SteeleyJ

Addiction is a motherfucker, been there done this so many times that I can't count.

Personally I suggest tapering with medication and professional help.... I know it sounds like bullshit but that help could be the difference between sober and relapse. I used opioid drugs for 10 years and was a fairly heavy heroin addict for 5 of them, I detoxed and relapsed more times than i can count.... no matter how hard I tried. Now I'm on MMT and getting shit back together, I'm still an addict and I know I'm probably more addicted physically now than ever but mentally I feel stronger having the counselling and time away from the opioids.
I'm not saying to go get on maintenance, that should be the last thing done if nothing else works.... but i do thing professional help could benefit you.

Hope all works out,
SteeleyJ

I was thinking of trying a taper again... i dont know man im so fucking sick of this life, 70% of my paychecks every week.. fuck man, i know im not at rock bottom yet but honestly it feels like being at rock bottom would be easier then maintaining this lifestyle .. i cant take this shit anymore

4 days clean again! Still alive here, went cold turkey right after my highest dose of hydro ever, 1060 mg. Carefully extracted 106 yellows.. Man am I paying for it now. But I'm on day 4 and surprisingly feeling a lot better...send prayers this way if you guys can!

Prayer sent.

If you're on day 4 you're probably over the hump so it should onle get easier from here on physically. Keep on pushing through!

I've been taking opiates moderately for about 4 months and I'm ready to quit. If I quit cold turkey and I'm prescribed benzos will the benzos help with the opiate withdrawal? I'm on klonopin and Xanax.

I was thinking of trying a taper again... i dont know man im so fucking sick of this life, 70% of my paychecks every week.. fuck man, i know im not at rock bottom yet but honestly it feels like being at rock bottom would be easier then maintaining this lifestyle .. i cant take this shit anymore

Everyone's bottom is different. You don't have to lose everything to "bottom". A bottom is when you are in so much pain that you are spurred to action to change your life completely.