• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Effexor and E.....safe?

SSJVejita1

Bluelighter
I have a friend who really wants to try E with me. she has asked me about it several times but im worried because she is on an antidepressant called Effexor. Effexor is a new antidepressant and not the normal MAOI that iv heard u shouldn't mix E with. What Im wonder is if its safe or not for her to take it. Can she stop taking Effexor for a certain amount of time to make it safe so she can try it? Thanks in advance for all your help
smile.gif

Good question !
venlafaxine is the generic name for Effexor. It is not your typical MAO and does not have MAO properties or effects, so i think it would be safe. Although its always better (if possible) to get other drugs out of your system before taking MDxx. If i were her I would wait at least 7 days before rolling. Depending on which type of Effexor she is on will be the determining factor in how long she waits. Does she take it once a day or once every 3 days? If she takes it every 3 days (Q72)she has the times release capsules which stay in your system for 72 hours. Doctors prescribe either Q24 or Q72 depending on age and how severe the depression is. In either case it is recommended she wait 7 days to be totally sure based on half life properties of the times release capsules. Also, effexor has a side effect of high blood pressure in some people. combined with the raised body temp and heart rate effects of MDMA this could be a potentially dangerous combination. have her wait a week and then roll safe !
Tim : )

Effexor is an SSRI and will partially or completely eliminate the effects of MDMA. People who are on anti-depressants are at risk for serious post-e depression. It won't necessarily happen, but it has before, and it will again.
MDMAForever: I'm a little disturbed that you make no mention of possible consequences. Going off of an anti-depressant to use MDMA is hardly ever a good idea
Everyone: Please see these threads:
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000228.html
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000703.html

I've gone off antidepressants to roll several times, and have experienced *no* problems...Effexor is a SSNRI...the regular version you take 3x a day, the XR version your take 2x a day...regardless, the withdraw effects from Effexor are *NASTY* to say the least, she will probably be be sick and not want to eat a pill

*sigh* starting to think about calling it off. She gets back from vacation saturday and we both called off work wednesday to do it at her house. Thats the earliest i could tell her to get off her effexor. She takes it once a day....about 50 mgs. Does anyone else have any personal experiences with effexor specifically? i need to know wether or not to buy this stuff soon and right now i really dont know....

Read my post. I was at 225mg a day, however, and a month-long taper before my roll. Again I DO NOT recommend rolling if one has been taking AD's, and yes, the withdrawal from Effexor is fucking awful and almost always necessitates taking Prozac to help taper.
And if she's taking it once a day, she's taking the XR, and it comes in only 37.5mg and 75mg doses. If she's only on 37.5, then stopping a couple of days before shouldn't really effect the roll (except if she's been on it for a while (again, see the SSRI's and E post), but again, it's not recommended.
[This message has been edited by NYTFLY (edited 14 August 2000).]

MDMAForever: I'm a little disturbed that you make no mention of possible consequences. Going off of an anti-depressant to use MDMA is hardly ever a good idea -NYTFLY-
Sorry for not mentioning the withdraw consequences. Although i think my point of getting the effexor out of her system was clear. It seemed to me they were determined to roll and i was simply stating the safest possible way to do it PHYSICALLY.
Your depression seems to be very severe and its unfortunate you are going through all that you are. Some people find that getting off AD's and rolling changes their depression level. I know of a few people that have completely stopped A/D medication because the MDMA gave them a whole new outlook on life and they have come to the realization that their depression was totally based on their mentality and not a physical abnormality. This is rare,given that most of the depressed population are depressed because of a psychological disorder.meaning low serotonin levels or chemical imbalance in the brain.
So, for the chick that wants to try rolling. have her prepared for the worst depression ever.or have her prepared for the most life changing experience ever, But dont be surprised if nothing changes at all.
Tim : )
------------------
It aint over till the last record spins !
My Website http://hometown.aol.com/jerkyztheone

MDMA FOREVER....i think uv got me convinced....when she gets back saturday im going to tell her to stop taking her effexor so she can roll with me wednesday. Im a bit worried and im probly gonna say some prayers that nothing bag happens....thanx for ur insight and also for urs NYTFLY. i appriciate all the help and if anyone else has opinions or personal experiences with effexor and E please post. thanks again
smile.gif

Be safe, and make sure she goes right back on her meds after she rolls...Take it before she goes to bed (it will also help prevent neurotox damage, an added plus.) Don't be surprised if she doesn't roll as hard; she doesn't need more pills, it's just her chemistry. Again, be safe, have fun, best of luck. I've already used up my two cents.
-NYTFLY

Soundz like the little buckeroo has a choice she needs to make don't it?
------------------
The wunderful thing about tiggers, iz tiggers are wunderful things, their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs . . . bouncey flouncey trouncey pouncey oh what fun fun fun . . . the wunderful thing about tiggers iz, I'm the only one . . .who ho ho hooooo!

Really just a bump – I want someone I know to be able to find this thread easily as he’s AD meds were changed to efexor, his a regular roller. I just want him to make the call to cont. Him self.
Q: what’s the diff between SNRI’s and SRRI’s?
Q: is the an increased danger in Eing on SNRI’s than compared to SRRI’s?
Thanks

Effexor is NOT solely an SNRI, that's wrong. Effexor is mainly an SSRI, which also, in high doses (>=225mg) blocks not only Serotonin but Norepinephrine, another neurotransmitter believed to be involved in a variety of processes and symptoms such as depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Effexor is unique in that it is really an SSNRI, and exhibits remarkable anxiolytic properties as well as antidepressant properties. I consider it the most potent of the SSRI super-class, with a level of efficacy that is really unmatched for those with depression as well as strong anxiety. It's short half-life also leads to potent and brutal withdrawal symptoms that are easily mitigated by a strong initial dose of fluoxetine (Prozac), as fluoxetine's main metabolite, norfluoxetine, remains in the bloodstream for several weeks post-administration.
The "danger" from rolling is NOT the dual administration of both; when MDMA and and SSRI or SSNRI are both given the effects of the MDMA are reduced drastically. The danger is really in resulting in drastic post-e depression. PLEASE see these threads:
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000228.html
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000703.html

NYTFLY, I agree with most of your last post, however, Effexor blocks the reuptake of norepinephrine at *much* lower doses then you say...it acts as a SSNRI @ doses around 150mg....at >225mg is also blocks dopamine reuptake...

Just checked, and you're absolutely right. NE reuptake is blocked ~150mg and dopamine around ~225mg, but much less so than NE and 5HT.
[This message has been edited by NYTFLY (edited 20 August 2000).]