• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

escitalopram SSRI withdrawal

motherorc

Greenlighter
I have been on escitalopram 10mg for two years, dabbled in a few other ADs the years before but none fit well.
I'm on day three of halfing my dose to 5mg according to my calendar but I could have sworn it has been 4/5 days.
I was wondering based on others experience, whats the average time the withdrawal side effects last? I'm trying to work out if this is the best time to continue tapering or if I should wait it out (with christmas, new years, birthdays, work and what not coming up).
I have done a few searches on here for this subject but it is never really covered, people only mention their symptoms or how long they have been off an SSRI.

It took me 2.5 months to ween off 120mg cymbalta, and the withdrawals from cymbalta are hell. The best thing to do is take it slow. If halving causes too many symptoms try doing a 1/3 or 1/4 of 10mg, only go down when the symptoms you experience at the reduced dose go away, it's a long process and a lot of it depends on the drugs half life, for cymbalta the half life was 12hrs and for lexapro its around 27 so you should have an easier time getting off of it than I did.

I really underestimated how hard they are to come off. good on you for managing it though, that must have been a long 2.5 months and thank you for replying!
I think I am going to put it off now until the new year and taper it by 25% instead of 50%

Few weeks on just 10mg. I found Diazepam very beneficial when it came to withdrawing from Venlafaxine.