• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine extraction faster than CWE?

Quantumbit

Greenlighter
Hi,

So I've read about CWE, which takes quite a lot of time. and an alternative method using a syringe...
I know a bit about chemistry so I know how those work but there is something I don't understand.

According to this site http://www.erowid.org/pharms/codeine/codeine_faq.shtml
The solubility of codeine is way higher than that of paracetamol, even in water at room temperature.

So why dissolve the tablets in hot water before cooling
Why not just dissolve the tablets in cool water, stir, and then filter the solids out?
It would be faster and (for people in cooler climates) tap water could be used directly without the need for a freezer.

Please explain : D

Thanks

Id have to disagree with your statement that a CWE takes a lot of time. Though not extremely quick, i don't find the procedure at all lengthly.

I believe the tablets are dissolved in warm water to assure all the codeine will have dissolved.
The point of cooling it after this is so that any paracetamol that had dissolved will precipitate.

In theory one may be able to dissolve codeine at a relatively "cool" temperature, but it would likely result in a diminished yield.

IMO you should just stick with dissolving them in water thats around 30 degrees Celsius.
If you're finding that it takes too long for the water to cool down try using the fridge,
..........or as the Erowid article suggests, place the container of dissolved tablets, into a larger container filled with ice water.

Both of those ideas should help speed the cooling process

Good Luck
-p

It may not be lengthy but the yield of extracted codeine can be terrible. I use solvents myself (or at least I did years ago), and my filtered solution always evaporated to the correct amount of codeine. When I used CWE, even 100 pills at a time, it would evaporate to a shitty meager little residue at best, which usually ended up with the chalky taste of paracetamol.