• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Even as crime rates drop, Florida wants more prisons to house more inmates

Bluelight Crew
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...ns-to-house-growing-inmate-population/2150125

TALLAHASSEE — A year after Florida closed several prisons to save money, the state says it must reopen some of them because of projections of a growing inmate population.

The Department of Corrections wants the Legislature to appropriate $59 million to open nine shuttered facilities next year from Miami to the Panhandle, including two prisons, five work camps and two re-entry centers. The prisons, in Raiford and Polk City, were closed in July 2012 and were touted by Gov. Rick Scott as good-news, cost-cutting steps in the budget.

The new request is based on a July forecast from the state Criminal Justice Estimating Conference showing that even as the crime rate continues to drop, new admissions to the prison system are rising. They are projected to increase by 2.7 percent next year and 1.4 percent the following year, requiring more than 1,000 new prison beds.

The current inmate population is about 101,000.

Scott, who's seeking re-election in 2014, recently asked state agencies to cut spending by $100 million, but the prison system alone wants $124 million more next year, including money for more officers, new buses and vans, the food service system and an electronic timekeeping system.

The sudden shift is reviving the debate over whether Florida locks up too many nonviolent drug offenders who should get treatment, not just punishment. Florida has the nation's third-largest prison system and spends about $18,000 a year on average to house each of its inmates. Nearly three of every 10 inmates are back behind bars within three years.

"They're not getting treatment. They're being housed, and I don't know how smart that is," said Sen. Rob Bradley, R-Fleming Island, at a recent hearing of the committee he chairs, which oversees the prison system's $2.4 billion budget.

"This is the perfect opportunity for us to re-engineer our criminal sentencing laws and save money at the same time," said Sen. Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth, also a member of the Senate budget committee overseeing prisons. "We need to have a real conversation about who we're putting in prison and whether that's best for the state."

But talk of modifying Florida's sentencing laws is an especially tough sell in an election year when most lawmakers will make traditional appeals to voters that they are tough on crime.

A study released last year by the Pew Center on the States found that the average offender spent 166 percent more time in prison in 2009 than in 1990 and that nonviolent drug offenders served 194 percent more time — a bigger increase than any other state at an annual cost to Florida taxpayers of about $1.4 billion.

full story: http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...ns-to-house-growing-inmate-population/2150125

Once again, the article fails to mention the principal reason for the increase: election rigging.

Convicted felons cannot vote in Florida, and most of them would be voting Democrat. I believe there are over a million convicted felons in Florida. This is the reason that even though there are more Democrats than Republicans in Florida, Republicans control both houses of congress and the governor's mansion.

Florida has 19 million people and 101,000 inmates
Canada has 34 million people 32 000 people in prison according to Wikipedia 2001

Canada's prison population is 0.13% of the total population and the USA has 0.7% of the total population locked up.
They call it the prison industry but it's just a very expensive social program. Taxpayers would be better served with those funds going to schools or treatment centers or just refunded to them. Prisons are just a big hole we can never fill with our tax dollars. I don't see why everyone left, right and center isn't opposed to putting non violent drug offenders in jail. They must like paying for an inmate's toilet paper.

Luckily, we don't have a lot of prison space here - you have to do some pretty serious shit to do real time. If I was busted with a couple grams, it's virtually impossible id be sentenced to jail time, unless I was extremely unlucky. Unfortunately, it seems a lot different in the States, Prison Inc seems to be a growth industry there, and the crimes they're willing to jail people for are fucking ludicrous.

The sheer size and power of the prison industry is actually quite worrying; it reminds me of a police state. When you look back, Stalin wouldn't have been nearly as powerful without his vast network of gulags, nor would Hitler with his concentration camp system. You could argue that our current drug laws are justifying and enabling the creation of a modern day police state - after all, the majority of convicts are imprisoned for drug offences. If it weren't for these laws there would be zero justification for building and staffing these prisons.

I imagine there is some one at the top of these prison systems that is extremely wealthy.
Its practically a business of ruining lives and putting humans in cages for non violent crimes that we all pay for.

You're absolutely right; with prisons becoming more privatised by the day, the prison system is a business, and a very profitable one. There are indeed people at the top getting very rich, not to mention the insane costs to the tax-paying public involved in running these places, and I mean INSANE.

It's actually a topic that gets me very fucking angry; half of these prisons shouldn't even exist in the first place ^ as you said, they're essentially caging humans like animals for committing crimes that have hurt nobody whatsoever. I'm strictly referring to the poor bastards who got caught with drugs here; there are dangerous and highly violent criminals who absolutely deserved to be segregated from society. Sadly, prisons are a necessary evil, but prisons as a growth industry are just ridiculous.

The whole "rehab instead of prison" thing pisses me off just as much...Just because someone gets caught possessing an illegal drug, doesn't automatically mean they have a drug problem...It's such bullshit, it's a completely made-up crime...It's so sad and angering....

From the outside, it may seem like a lot of people are being locked up for simple drug possession, and there is, but in most places it usually takes a few times, which is still nothing in the end....Everyone gets put on probation the first time, and then everything after that is a violation...It's just fucking stupid and tiresome...

I really wish you could just show people what 20 dollars worth of cocaine or heroin looks like...For two measelly, pathetic little bags it's a felony count for each one and gets treated like this huge deal....These people need to go fuck off...

Yeah I got caught with two 500 mg bags of dope and got charged with "intent to sell" supposedly just because it was in two bags.

I would've never got caught if I remembered I was wearing boxers not briefs. It was embarassing the bags dropped straight through my pant leg even as I was telling the cop I had nothing on me.

I read somewhere as well as heard in a documentary that the prison industry is the second largest industry in America - Second to the cancer industry.

This country is fucked up. Just totally fucked up.

I would've never got caught if I remembered I was wearing boxers not briefs. It was embarassing the bags dropped straight through my pant leg even as I was telling the cop I had nothing on me.

oh my, you poor thing.

im sorry numbers but that mental image made me lol :D

...kytnism...:|

I really wish you could just show people what 20 dollars worth of cocaine or heroin looks like...For two measly, pathetic little bags it's a felony count for each one and gets treated like this huge deal....These people need to go fuck off...

Add a couple of nails to that and that's three strikes.. literally if a user or an addict has everything under control and is one the vast majority who doesn't choose to lose all their morals and values and uses their addition as justification, if this is the case then someone rolling with a dirty nail and enough shit for one speedball, can get pulled over and spend the rest of their life in jail and not have done one negative thing to anyone in society.

The people who make their living off the drug war will try and milk this till the bitter end and ride this until they are made to stop.. but we will win cause they can't make us stop.

And I agree blue.. rehabs.. dont even get me started... wow is that a scam right there.. some place thirty grand to be introduced to the fellowships and brain washed by group therapy.

Jails and Rehabs.. "there is no money in a cure" .. but there seems to be tons in pretending and claiming to make difference.

Last edited:
^Ha, yeah...Everyone was so quick to endorse this whole "rehab instead of prison" thing, but it ends up being even worse for people in drug court....They make you sign away all your rights to where the police can just come and search you at anytime. You have to constantly keep going back before a judge to prove your complying, if you don't they just tack on more time that you're stuck in the system...

That's the real problem in my view...It's not like you get caught breaking the law, get punished and then it's over....You end up stuck for years in the legal system having to jump through hoop after fucking hoop! Is it really worth chasing grown adults around like that because they want to use drugs?

The tide may be turning towards a more "treatment based approach", but it ends up with even more red-tape and loss of freedom than just straight up treating it like a normal crime...Really, drug charges are the most common crimes out there...It's the bread and butter of the entire law enforcement, judicial, prison industry....

Are drugs really this bad to justify this whole thing? People must believe that drugs make people do horrible, harmful things to the rest of the public....Why else would everyone be so hell-bent on locking everyone up for it...

The reality is, all a drug user wants to do is sit at home and get high....Aside from the occasional person freaking out on certain drugs, I really can't think of what they do that's so horrible to anyone but the person using them....The outrageous price of them because they are illegal and the money users have to come up with to pay for them is 99% of the problem...

^Ha, yeah...Everyone was so quick to endorse this whole "rehab instead of prison" thing, but it ends up being even worse for people in drug court....They make you sign away all your rights to where the police can just come and search you at anytime. You have to constantly keep going back before a judge to prove your complying, if you don't they just tack on more time that you're stuck in the system...

That's the real problem in my view...It's not like you get caught breaking the law, get punished and then it's over....You end up stuck for years in the legal system having to jump through hoop after fucking hoop! Is it really worth chasing grown adults around like that because they want to use drugs?

The tide may be turning towards a more "treatment based approach", but it ends up with even more red-tape and loss of freedom than just straight up treating it like a normal crime...Really, drug charges are the most common crimes out there...It's the bread and butter of the entire law enforcement, judicial, prison industry....

Are drugs really this bad to justify this whole thing? People must believe that drugs make people do horrible, harmful things to the rest of the public....Why else would everyone be so hell-bent on locking everyone up for it...

The reality is, all a drug user wants to do is sit at home and get high....Aside from the occasional person freaking out on certain drugs, I really can't think of what they do that's so horrible to anyone but the person using them....The outrageous price of them because they are illegal and the money users have to come up with to pay for them is 99% of the problem...

I agree. I would much rather do a month in jail then years of drug court. That program is so fucked up

I read somewhere as well as heard in a documentary that the prison industry is the second largest industry in America - Second to the cancer industry.

This country is fucked up. Just totally fucked up.

Fuck up alright. You betcha.

Funny you should mention the cancer industry. That's the industry whose captains are trying to derail any attempt at legalizing voluntary euthanasia. Here's the funny part and is what baffles me the most - that most of these captains are completely in favor of abortion on demand. Strange, eh? I thought that voluntary euthanasia was about controlling your own body which, is the same argument, used to justify abortion on demand...but apparently to these captains that ain't necessarily so.

Why can't we have voluntary euthanasia? You're not killing anyone else, not even the slightest doubt about it, it's person A doing something to person A, so there's no fucking controversy! But hell no, we have huge industry mobsters capitalizing on human suffering. What these mobsters deserve is a clean bullet to the brain, preferrably tearing through the subarachnoid space, causing an excruciatingly painful hemorrhage.

Every time I think about it, the more I concede (I don't want to, but hey I guess I have to) that this world is controlled by a bunch of very fucking rich douche-bag psychopaths.

This whole court-ordered 12 step attendance and rehab instead of prison gig is harebrained and fucking stupid IMHO. In one way it's kind of a step in the right direction; they're attempting to treat addicts rather than condemn them, but they've managed to screw it all up, because as ever they fail to see that quitting drugs is a choice, as is using them; you can't force somebody to quit. In the rehabs I was in, there was always a few forced there by the courts. Every single one of them either walked out and got busted, or went through the motions, learned all the NA/ therapy jargon, and then relapsed the moment they were allowed to leave. And these rehab treatments aren't cheap: we're talking £1000's per week, every penny of it wasted.

Florida sucks. End of story. They aren't the only state either that's opening more prisons.