• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police battle youths over ‘free’ alcohol

casual1

Bluelighter
My favourite quote "We just want to search for something for the kids"

Funny how the police managed to drive off with a substantial stash of their own. Brings back memories of Westgate.

Police battle youths over ‘free’ alcohol

When a truck carrying alcohol rolled into a ditch on Monday, the usual light note remark that Kenya is a drinking nation stopped looking like a joke.

Controlling the hundreds of thirsty Nyeri residents who wanted to be allowed to drink the alcohol at Marua on the Kiganjo- Nanyuki road became the primary agenda for the police.

The fact that the accident occurred in broad daylight, at 3pm ensured that the crowd was huge.

Part of that crowd gathered at the scene had been transported to the spot by tens of boda boda motorcycles from as far as Karatina, some 20 kilometres away.

The young men and women spirited away some spirits in 250 millilitre bottles before police arrived.

They hid the loot in a nearby maize farm and some stood guard with pangas as others went for more. A young man was slashed with a panga as he tried to invade another man’s loot which was “safely” stashed away.

But it is the police who had hard time trying to guard the few bottles of spirits that remained. They stood with their guns on the ready, trying to repel the crowd which kept on pushing and shouting to be allowed to have “their right”.

“We want our right. It’s our luck,” the rowdy crowd chanted, some seemingly inebriated by the spirits they had already taken.

The five police officers on guard were seemingly getting overwhelmed, and had to call for reinforcement from the Administration Police who arrived when things were almost getting out of control.

Some women claimed they were not after drinking but wanted to sell the alcohol and get food for children.

“We just want to search for something for the kids,” one could be heard saying.

Some youth accused the officers of stashing away bottles of alcohol in the boot of their patrol car and said there was no reason for them to prevent the youth from enjoying the rest.

The officers however adamantly prevented the youths from looting some more and the remaining bottles were taken away from the scene.

It was not clear what caused the accident but an eye-witness said the lorry started wavering before rolling into the ditch near River Sagana.

The driver however escaped unhurt, but was not available for comment.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Police-battle-youths-over-free-alcohol/-/1056/2051082/-/nobb7u/-/index.html

You two read it wrong.

Alcoholics and booze...

Alcoholics are very easily enraged to the point of protecting that sleepy juice...

Alcoholics are loud, stupid, and violent. Easily enraged. (I'm pretty biased though because of the shitstorm from the sox winning preventing my sleep) This quality greatly adds to my dislike of the drug.

Last edited:
^^ I agree... I lived in SF last year when the Giants won the series and it was insane. Riots in the streets. I can't imagine what people would have done had they LOST. They were literally pile furniture in the streets and lighting it on fire...

I love how any time some asshole takes LSD and jumps off a roof or something its not acids fault its the guy who took its fault and the media is biased etc. attitude that is prevalent on Bluelight but as soon as alcohol gets brought up it is some magic drug that robs its users of freedom of choice and causes riots and people to be violent. People need to grow up a little bit around here and stop demonising alcohol past what is fair, it is really getting tiresome from a forum of people that's main complaint is others negative bias against their DOC's.

F33lg00d you don't know me for shit, I really resent you characterising me as stupid and violent. I don't believe either to be true, even if they were you certainly don't know me to comment. Someones addiction to alcohol does not give you any more insight to their personality than addiction to any other drug. Get off your fucking high horse and use your common sense. Seems to me calling other people stupid might be a case of the pot calling the kettle black here mate.

Alcoholics are loud, stupid, and violent. Easily enraged. (I'm pretty biased though because of the shitstorm from the sox winning preventing my sleep) This quality greatly adds to my dislike of the drug.

That was pretty harsh...

I personally just don't agree with the standards at which anyone holds any drug...

Whether it is alcohol or acid, heroin or diazepam, making excuses is the whole reason alcohol is legal and most other drugs aren't.

When it comes time to debate for any drug, society will cast it's unfair view...

So, personally, I could care less about what drug it is, if you are addicted, you will fight for it in some fashion.

I would also like to add it is not fair to take the actions of a bunch of militant sports fans and attribute this to any drug, alcohol or otherwise. There are countless examples from many countries where sports fans use the results of matches or other people barracking for rival teams to start fights and cause all kinds of trouble, both with drugs involved and with no drugs involved, of course there is no question that in many cases alcohol has contributed to the outlandish and unacceptable behaviour that these groups engage in but many drugs have the same effect. You can't really single out alcohol just because it happens to be the only intoxicant sold legally on the sporting grounds, I guarantee most, if not all, of these people would act as bad or worse if you gave them meth, cocaine, benzodiazepines or GHB, to name a few. That does not mean all users, or even addicts, of these drugs can be demonised as bad people who act in this way. It is completely unintelligent to try and argue that.

The pushing and shoving of the crowd is fairly normal behaviour in Kenya, no different to boarding a bus. The only real violence in the article is one man being slashed by another trying to protect the bottles he hoarded. The man with the panga may well have been completely sober at the time. Thieves in Kenya have a pretty rough time if caught - vigilantes often kill thieves over relatively small amounts of money or goods. Poverty and a lack of welfare leads to desperation in the general population.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I'm wding and have a loose grip on my emotions atm. My resentment is more deep seated than lighthearted sports riots or jolly truck robbing (fantasy of mine except replace the liquor with pills). I recognize my hyberbolized stereotyping in my earlier post, but I think when someone chooses to take a certain drug habitually it has an effect on their personality - myself and my docs included. Idk, I'm just a hater; In no way do I wish to deprive people to injest what they please.

edit: just want to apologize again I've had problems with alcohol in the past supplemented with amphetamine abuse, but then I switched to benzos which I supplemented with opioid pills and then trade to a heroin addiction. the pot is black as fuck mate

Last edited: