• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Student mauled by police K9 during school anti-drug event

Bluelight Crew
http://www.thebraziltimes.com/story/2015940.html

An 11-year-old male student has been treated for "minor injuries" sustained following a bite from a Brazil Police Department K-9 officer at the Red Ribbon Awareness week kick-off event at the Clay County Courthouse Thursday, officials said.

According to a report submitted by the K-9 officer's handler, Ray Walters, the young man was transported by ambulance to St. Vincent Clay Hospital for treatment following the incident.

"It was an unfortunate accident," said Brazil Police Chief Clint McQueen. "Wish it hadn't happened like that but it did. We are trying to evaluate (the incident) to make sure nothing like this happens again."

According to the report, the officer and his K-9 partner, Max, as well as another K-9 team were requested by Clay County Superior Court Judge J. Blaine Akers to carry out a simulated raid of a party with actors in place to help "educate the Clay County fifth-graders on drug awareness."

He added the juveniles in the scenario met with officers prior to the start and were asked to remain still when the dogs searched for narcotics.

McQueen said a very small amount of illegal drugs were hidden on one of the juveniles to show how the dogs can find even the smallest trace of an illegal substance. He added all this was done "under exclusive control and supervision of members of the court and law enforcement." Four scenarios were carried out that day with the incident occurring during the third scenario.

"As I got closer to the actors, Max began searching the juveniles," according to the officer's report. "The first male juvenile began moving his legs around as Max searched him. When the male began moving his legs, (this is what) I believe prompted Max's action to bite the male juvenile on the left calf."

McQueen said the result was minor puncture wounds to the leg.

The other K-9 officer met with Walters after the incident and said that several other children involved in the scenario saw the young man shake his legs when Max approached.

The report then stated the officer immediately shouted, "Oust," the German command for release, and after a few seconds, Max released his bite and ran behind the officer. The officer said he quickly exited with the K-9 officer after.

story continues: http://www.thebraziltimes.com/story/2015940.html

A couple of comments from people who claim to know the victim:

First of all "a minor injury"???? Last time I knew a dog taking a chunk out of a child's leg is no "minor injury"!!! Yes this was an unfortunate accident. However, it's one that should have NEVER happened!!! You would think when you send a child on a field trip to a courthouse, to be around officers, judges, and k-9 police dogs the child would be safe. Ha not in this town. This story also states that the kids were to remain still while the dog searched them. It didn't state that they had 2 children laying on the ground next to each other and the poor child moved his leg to let Max through and he was attacked!!! I guess I didn't realize the dog was supposed to attack from movement instead on command. Even crazier is this poor child didn't even have anything hidden on him. They had the dog "under control" so tell me why it took 2 officers plus 1 more prying that dogs mouth open to get the dog off of him? Also the officer shouted "oust" to get the dog off of him? Max responded after a few seconds. Imagine how much pain that poor child felt for a few seconds of 240-800 pounds of pressure biting his leg!!!! This poor little guy is very good friends with my son and I pray for him and his family.

One more thing..... brazil times if you are going to report a story, you probably should at least talk to the victims family. Shouldn't you get your facts straight before " reporting" your story?

This is a fine example of a news media being told what to print by "the powers that be." Of course, I cannot prove this; it is merely my opinion based upon circumstantial evidence. But in a town like Brazil, and with a story like this, what else can we think? I can't say that I'm surprised by the ineptitude of this "story", and a story is exactly what it is. It is one-sided, and inaccurate. I don't know which is more ridiculous - this story, or the news bit that ran on channel 2 tonight. Both of these media make it out to the reader/viewer that this incident was the fault of the victim, who in fact, has had dogs all of his life and knows how to act around them. I know this boy personally, have introduced him to new and "Strange" dogs I have adopted, and I have seen his wounds from this attack. This is NO MINOR puncture wound. This is a SERIOUS injury that could easily have crippled this child if only a variable or two had shifted the tiniest bit. I have a dog comparable in size to Max, and I KNOW what a canine like this can do, and how powerful they are.

To be blunt,the description of this boy's injuries in this media is an outright LIE. Minor puncture wounds DO NOT require surgical intervention, nor leave such horrible marks.

My next questions are multiple, and I will try to make them short:

If a canine officer is regarded the same as a human one with respect to assault by a human, then what are the consequences for Max? What would a human officer be charged with if he were "to make a mistake" and attack a child?

If I were to grab a kid and inflict a wound such as this, with what would "I" be charged?!

Next, how did this happen with a supposedly properly trained dog and/or handler? I believe this is an area which calls for further investigation, certainly, to prevent something like this from happening again.

Your demonstration in question here does not inspire faith,and while I do not intend to insult the handler, I am sure I am not the only one that believes we need to see more on this.

Next, can we get some info from the 'school' that trains these dogs? Was Max properly trained? Or did the town "get took" when they got him?

Next, what would the consequences be for a citizen like me, were MY dog to attack a child like this? My guess would be, as with other stories I have seen on various media, that my dog would be quarantined for a period of time, and then destroyed.

Yet Channel 2 reports that Max will be right back at work eventually?

I simply ask that, in the future, you keep this animal away from children, as he's certainly proven what he's capable of. Frankly, I am angry beyond belief that this happened - but I am even angrier with the news media for presenting a sugar-coated "blame the kid" story about this. Remember, folks, there were witnesses. Plenty of them. The truth is known, and you didn't present it. I believe a retraction, or at least, another more accurate story is in order.

This supports my hypothesis that, at the local level, police write the news.

Why are there children being involved and being shown a "simulated drug raid" to try to teach kids about drugs. All those kids learned was to be scared of police and that police hurt innocent people for no reason. To bad those lessons are learned by everyone at some point and even worst that they are completely true. There is never a cop around when you are getting attacked but the are always on your ass when you drive a little too fast or have a joint in your pocket.

I really hate that the police use dogs. They train them to be vicious and destructive and they use aggressive breads. Ive heard many stories of the dogs being abused and poorly treated in their "training academy" environments. This kind of shit always happens, innocent people get bit by the dog and the police blame the victim. " oh well this boy wiggled his legs AT the dog and the dog attacked" that is fucking bullshit, the dog should not have a hair-trigger like that. That is not a properly trained dog. Imagine if that had been a real life situation and people were getting searched by the dog, they are not gonna be totally still, even if instructed to do so. This could have easily happened in a live action situation and in that case the officers often wait until the dog releases on its own. They will let the dog maul someone who is "suspected of wrong doing" even if they have no evidence.

The use of dogs by police should be drastically changed. They can use smaller, less aggressive breads for drug and bomb detection and also NOT FUCKING ABUSE THEM so they are vicious and destructive.

The constitution explicitly prohibits cruel and unusual punishment, being attacked by a dog should obviously be prohibited by THE CONSTITUTION. Therefore, the use of police dogs should not happen around suspects or any other persons that are not police.

This story is obviously bullshit, if you read it you can tell that facts are omitted and the police "did the talking". There is no statement from the victims family. That is proof right there that lying and omission was used in this "reporting"

Shameful, this kid is gonna grow up in total fear of the police and he will probably have a strong fear of dogs now too. No child should be afraid of dogs, they can be a great companion for a child.

Fuck the Police dogs

Attack Dogs and Kids Don't mix well usually.. MORONS.

EDIT: I have been thinking about what happened here and the premise of this whole thing is absolutely dumb, A fake drug raid using children and real dogs is a really dumb idea. I dont see much of benefit and even given the fact that I'm looking at this from a hindsight perspective, it would have seemed really foolish if looked a before hand. "It was an unfortunate accident," said Brazil Police Chief Clint McQueen. Sorry Chief but this "accident" could have been prevented with a little common sense and the use of so little foresight that even a garden snail would have known that this whole idea was a insane and pointless. Chief you get todays assclown award.

NSFW:
Garden_Snail_with_his_Feelers_Up_600.jpg

Last edited:
"McQueen said a very small amount of illegal drugs were hidden on one of the juveniles to show how the dogs can find even the smallest trace of an illegal substance"

Hiding drugs on kids seems pretty bad too. Probably why the dog bit him.

If I would have seen them hide the drugs, am I the only one that thinks they would have been missing?

Plus, does anyone see that "mauled" and "minor injuries" don't go together?

^An article is more likely to grab peoples attention with a word like "mauled" in the title than a phrase like "minor injuries". It's just how journalism works.

"minor injuries" was the cop version of events. Another source said the kid needed surgery.

^^ Fuck that. This dog had NO WAY of knowing this was a "simulated" raid. In the dogs mind this was just like any other real police activity. If anyone should be punished it should be whoever came up with this terrible idea in the first place. Certainly not an innocent dog. I hope they don't put him down. That would be terrible...

^ where does it say anything about the dog being german?

as usual, very little actual information here and an awful lot of assumption and conclusion.

alasdair

Well, German shepards are common k-9 police dogs.

I did some remodeling work for a couple who were both officers and their dogs were trained and imported directly from Germany. I'm not sure why, exactly or how this is beneficial. But this could also be the case here.

^An article is more likely to grab peoples attention with a word like "mauled" in the title than a phrase like "minor injuries". It's just how journalism works.

No kidding. How does the title state the kid was mauled and then in the first lines it goes on to state the kid suffered minor injuries. Most maulings don't result in minor injuries.

Honestly WTF did they expect to happen.

Putting todays youth in fear of the authorities just how they'd like it. Might as well have thrown some pupperoni in the bag of drugs they planted on a minor. .
Where are the parental approval papers for this like the ones I had to get signed to see Juliet's tits in high school.

I know not all cops are bad but what are the police really doing anymore besides ruining the lives of drug users, potential drug users, and innocent people who they suspect of being drug users.

Oh and finally Thanks red ribbon week for telling me what do with my body.

German shepherds were renamed Alsatians in ww1 to avoid being associated with the hated jerrys. In an ironic twist after ww2 they were renamed back to german shepherds and the third reich was renamed the USA.