• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dangerous synthetic LSD moves into the Midwest

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
The picture is cute the Pac man print. Too bad its synthetic LSD and not good old organic LSD. It does annoy me that they call it Nbomb in the article but the headline is just more stupidity.

Dangerous synthetic LSD moves into the Midwest

October 19

By TONY RIZZO and GLENN E. RICE

The Kansas City Star

It’s new, nasty and dangerous.

FF20k.St.81.jpeg

David Eulitt | The Kansas City StarAt the Johnson County Crime Laboratory, Valerie Kamb shows a synthetic hallucinogen. Buy Photo

And people who take it are ending up in emergency rooms and morgues. Despite that, it remains, for now, legal.

It is a chemical compound that provides the same hallucinatory effects of LSD and is sometimes called fake acid, legal acid, N-Bomb or Smiles.

But there is nothing phony or funny about the drug, which earlier this month might have claimed the life of a 14-year-old Platte County boy and put another one in the hospital.

“It is scary,” said Michelle Ruha, a board member of the American College of Medical Toxicology. “Unfortunately, kids don’t realize what they’re getting into. They don’t understand the risks.”

That appears to be the case in Platte County, where, according to court documents, the two high school freshman were seeking to buy LSD.

Instead, they hooked up with an older teen who allegedly sold them what she later described to detectives as a research chemical that mimics the effects of LSD. Court records don’t indicate what she told the boys, but according to detectives, she told investigators that the effects of the drug are “so extreme that she has read articles where people have died after taking this exact drug.”

While testing has not yet been completed to confirm if the Platte County boys took N-Bomb, authorities have begun warning area school officials about the drug being in the area.

“This is the first case we’ve had involving this type of analog, but what I am being told is that this is a growing nationwide issue,” said Capt. Erik Holland of the Platte County Sheriff’s Department.

It could also be the first case of a death in the Kansas City area from ingesting N-Bomb.

Stephen Thornton, medical director of the poison control center at University of Kansas Hospital, said there have been about 10 patients admitted to Kansas City area hospitals this year after ingesting the drug. Thornton said it takes only a small amount to trigger adverse reactions.

“Reactions can be severe,” he said, and patients often have to be placed on a ventilator.

The substances first began appearing for sale online in 2010, and the first U.S. law enforcement contact with the substance was reported in June 2011 in Milwaukee, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration. Since then, forensic laboratories in 33 states have documented nearly 700 cases involving the substances.

The first reports of the drug in the Kansas City area appear to have begun cropping up late last year. During a December 2012 arrest, Kansas City police seized a sheet of 100 paper squares wrapped in aluminum foil. The person being arrested told the officers it was a synthetic form of LSD and warned them not to touch it with their bare hands.

In January, police in St. Louis County also started seeing evidence of the substance in their area and issued a warning about the “new very potent synthetic hallucinogen that is killing users around the country.”

Investigators with the Johnson County Crime Laboratory detected the substances for the first time in February. Since then, chemical analysis has confirmed the presence of N-Bomb compounds in 13 cases. In each case the substance has been applied as a liquid on small sheets of paper that the user ingests like LSD.

According to court documents in the Platte County case, the drug bought by the boys was on small squares of blue paper wrapped in foil.

Valerie Kamb, who leads the Johnson County lab’s drug, trace and toxicology sections, said she did not know if any the cases in Johnson County had involved deaths, but reports of deaths from around the country appear to be mounting.

“People are dying from these,” she said.

Some of those incidents involve people doing dangerous things such as jumping from a moving car, she said.

According to the DEA, at least 14 deaths in 11 states have been linked to use of the drug. Three of those deaths were the result of “unpredictable or violent behavior” while using it, the DEA reported.

On Oct. 10, the DEA, citing an “imminent hazard to the public safety,” filed a notice of intent to have the substances categorized as controlled substances. According to the agency, the drugs were first developed in 2003 by scientists seeking a way to map and investigate serotonin receptors in the brains of mammals.

However, no approved medical use has been found for the substances and they have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for human consumption. The DEA reported that authorities have seized bulk quantities of the substances at the U.S. border, primarily coming from Asia.

Ruha, who practices medicine in Arizona, said that in addition to creating the hallucinatory effects similar to LSD, the substances provide stimulant effects similar to methamphetamine that can trigger seizures.

Users experience increases in heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature, she said. It can also cause agitation and violent, aggressive behavior. The increased body temperature can cause organ damage like that suffered in cases of heatstroke.

“Often by the time they receive medical attention it’s just too late,” she said.

The substances can create a sense of euphoria by increasing serotonin levels, but that can also trigger a life-threatening condition known as serotonin syndrome.

Because the substances are manufactured underground, users have no idea what chemicals are used or how potent they are, Ruha said.

“You never really know exactly what you’re taking,” she said. “They all carry a high risk of severe effects on your body.”

The problem for authorities seeking to control synthetic substances such as N-Bomb is that once a specific drug is banned, chemists change a molecule or two in the concoction to circumvent the law while retaining the same effect of the drug.

“New derivations keep becoming available,” Ruha said. “They are keeping one step ahead of the law.”

N-Bomb itself is a good example of that. It is actually a more potent derivative of another substance banned in 2012 by DEA action.

Prosecutors in Platte County have charged two teens with distribution of a simulated controlled substance in connection with the case involving the two boys.

Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said that in recent years Missouri laws have been improved by broadening the definitions of illegal substances to allow prosecution of more synthetic drugs. Kansas lawmakers took similar action in 2011.

“It is a brave new world of synthetic drugs on our streets, which is a very scary thing,” Zahnd said. “The problem with these new drugs is they are so new and different from one another that it presents a tremendous challenge when somebody overdoses from those drugs as to how to treat them.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/19/4563860/dangerous-synthetic-lsd-moves.html#storylink=cpy

NBOMEs being sold as LSD is actually a major problem where I am. Apparently people are having a hard time finding real LSD at all. At least there are reputable vendors on the deep web, even after the SR shutdown.

They should LEGALIZE LSD so people dont have to play Russian roulette with these potentially lethal research chemicals. That being said I have met people who actually PREFER NBOMEs over real LSD. They claim they get ten times the open eye visuals (OEVs)

Ive done a few various psychs, nothing too crazy but i def had fun on 25c and i usually dont like to trip at all. The visuals were great, the one time i took lsd it was a really low dose bc i def didnt have the experience i was expecting. Had a chance to trip again on what i was told by a big tripper i knew to be the best cleanest acid hes ever had. Too bad i was so smacked out i was only interested in selling it to make money for more smack.

they should legalize lsd so people dont have to play russian roulette with these potentially lethal research chemicals. That being said i have met people who actually prefer nbomes over real lsd. They claim they get ten times the open eye visuals (oevs)
LSD MAKE YOU THINK YOU SUPERMAN AND YOU JUMP OUT WINDOW AND YOU DIE! IT REAL DANGEROUS DRUG! FOX NEWS SAY SO![/drugwar]

NBOMe's are an issue in my area as well. It's unfortunate because I grew up before the NBOME's and thus, my first experiences were all actual LSD.

The substances can create a sense of euphoria by increasing serotonin levels, but that can also trigger a life-threatening condition known as serotonin syndrome.

Jesus Christ on a Pogo brand corn dog on a stick. As 5ht2a agonists, these compounds neither elevate serotonin levels, nor do they cause SS. Nothing like demonstrating you don't really know what you're talking about.

Laymans terms: these compounds mimic serotonin. They don't increase serotonin levels.

Jesus fucking christ stop calling these drugs shit like synthetic lsd, synthetic marijuana, ect and call them what they are and stop giving them labels that make them seem safer than they really are by making them apear to be something they are not.

Last edited:
I hate it when they call shit synthetic Heroin, synthetic LSD, synthetic THC or whatever the new scary drug is. Maybe just make big bad LSD legal so people won't end up dosing too much on some drug that can actually kill you.