• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does your body feel like its over heating after/while doing opiates????

bluemansland

Greenlighter
For the longest time that I could remember, I've always been the kind of person who's too hot. Whether I'm sleeping, walking around, whatever... Ive always been incredibly hot, even in the winter time. This has happened since I was a young buck (Im 22 meow). I'm a pretty athletic individual with good cardio, healthy eating, pretty regular (good/healthy) sleeping habits.

When I started doing beans, I never really had this problem of feeling like my body is overheating. It hasnt been until about a few months ago that I now feel like someone has pushed me closer to the sun. Whether I step outside for a minute to bring in a package, or walk around outside for a bit, my body is drenched in sweat. I'm a pretty well educated individual with a degree in biology, so I get WHY we sweat, but I dont understand why I (ME) sweat so often, much. :?:?:?:?:?:?

Is it because of my usage and the possibility that I keep throwing myself in moments of withdrawl and my body just goes into sick mode? Or could it be from doing the beans themselves? The hot weather obviously has something to do with this as well as my hair (just got it cut yesterday as it was kinda long, like 4-5 inches long).

My guess would be that I pretty consistantly do beans, and when I cannot grip I probably start withdrawling to an extent. The mix of the hot weather and being a "manly hairy man beast" probably factor in as well.

Whelp, if anyone has any guess/similar occurances, please feel free to share!!!

Thanks so much you wonderful and sexy people

~BML~

by beans i assume you mean oxy pills or something similar?

opiates have varied effects on people, some get a pleasant warmth, some sweat uncontrollably like you describe.

for myself personally i find my body temperature always feels pleasant and perfect while on opiates, however once i start to get sick im always sweating and hot or shivering and cold.

are you doing opiates every day or often long term? if so yes, you are likely going through withdrawal and that is your most noticeable effect

pretty easy to find out, just dont do any oxy/opiate for a while. if you notice this, then theres your answer.

They make me hot when I am high, too. When I am in a light withdrawal it is a mix of hot and cold. One second it feels like I am burning up inside, the next I am freezing.

I am also like you in the sense of I am hot all the time and in the winter I am often wearing a light sweat shirt or even just s t shirt in temps that are at or below freezing. I will also add that benzos cool me down, basically the opposite effect, I figure cause they do a good job dropping BP and mine tends to run a bit high.

Methadone makes you sweat disgustingly with even the slightest physical activity. It just pours from your forehead, it's a truly awful feeling. I'm experiencing it now from low dose buprenorphine but not as badly as with methadone. It only happens when I'm physically active, but I'm definitely sweating more than I should be relative to my body heat. It's a common side-effect... I'll trust Sekio's explanation, even though I still don't completely understand. I'll go read about histamine release and maybe that will make it a little clearer.

Thank you for all the responses everyone!!!

RedRum OG: you could say I was kind of a garbage dumpster when it comes to pills.. hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine sulfate, oxymorphine, buprenor, methadone. I never used to be like that back in the day in regards to being a dumpster and being sweaty hahah

But Sekio, I will definitely check that out and see what I can find. Very much appreciated!!!

Histamine release is as good of a guess as any. Perhaps you could take a non-drowsy anti-histamine a while before your next opiate/opioid dose and see if it affects your temperature.
Perhaps if you're really curious you could use a thermometer to measure your body temperature before, during, and after taking your drugs. That way you can see if you really do have a change in temperature or it's subjective and you thinking that your body temp will rise increases your BP or something.

Histamine release is as good of a guess as any. Perhaps you could take a non-drowsy anti-histamine a while before your next opiate/opioid dose and see if it affects your temperature.
Perhaps if you're really curious you could use a thermometer to measure your body temperature before, during, and after taking your drugs. That way you can see if you really do have a change in temperature or it's subjective and you thinking that your body temp will rise increases your BP or something.

The temperature difference felt is psychosomatic compared to what is actually happening...

It is the same foundation of the warmth felt with alcohol consumption.

Expanding blood vessels give the perceived notion of warmth from an increase in blood flow...

I dunno anything about this stuff but..

I believe heroin does effect the parasympathetic nervous system.

"The functions of the parasympathetic nervous system include slowing down your heartbeat, lowering your blood pressure, and increasing blood flow to your skin."

Similar to how niacin (VitB3) causes flushing I suppose.

Supposedly vit B is used as a 'cut' at times as well, perhaps this could make the flushing more noticable.

reasonable enuff right?

Theres also the dry mouth/dehydration effect from opiates..

I dunno anything about this stuff but..

I believe heroin does effect the parasympathetic nervous system.

"The functions of the parasympathetic nervous system include slowing down your heartbeat, lowering your blood pressure, and increasing blood flow to your skin."

Similar to how niacin (VitB3) causes flushing I suppose.

Supposedly vit B is used as a 'cut' at times as well, perhaps this could make the flushing more noticable.

reasonable enuff right?

Theres also the dry mouth/dehydration effect from opiates..

This.

Heroin makes me sweat like a bitch. In summer, it's almost unbearable. I'm constantly wiping sweat off my face & in turn, causing the skin on face to be red raw. Then I have to deal with dry flakey skin for days afterwards. Not a great look.

Probably unrelated to opioids because OP said it's been going on as long as he remembers. I suggest getting your thyroid hormone levels checked: T3, T4, TSH.