• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin snorting heroin & severe respiratory depression

mrsnowygrainius

Bluelighter
I get SEVERE respiratory depression every time i snort H. The RD doesnt set in till nightitme when i try and go to sleep but i mean its severe and i get this horrible cough that lasts for days. On the days that I use, I am up all night long coughing, wheezing, and trying desperately to control my breathing. This coughing and wheezing lasts for DAYS. I read that much of the RD is just me panicking and most of it is in my head but last night was really bad, my mom wanted to take me to the emergency room. Today shes taking me to doctor for what she thinks is a "sinus infection" which it very well could be, but no one can know that i am using again. Maybe he will give me something to stop the coughing? But why do i get such severe RD and coughing in the first place? when I snort I do all my bags at once in one huge line, i tried another way of doing little bumps over the course of the day... but still get the RD. Ive been suffering from this addiction for years now, I used to IV then went on subs for a year and didnt touch it the entire time i was on them. I was weened off subs slowly and here I am now, 3 weeks free of subs and back on the dope. Some one PLEASE help me.. does anyone else have experience with severe RD? how can i deal with it better?

Your opioid tolerance is simply not sufficient for the dose of heroin you're taking. All you can do is take less. Nothing will mitigate respiratory depression, unless your mother calls for an ambulance and they hit you with naloxone.

Hey there and welcome to Bluelight! :) This thread is better suited for Other Drugs.

As Morphling said, if you get resp. depression when you do opioids, you are taking too much. It could also be that you are allergic to some component of the powder you are snorting, either a poppy compound or something used to cut it.

Does this happen with other opioids at all? If so, it's likely you're overshooting your optimal dose, & should simply take less. If not, it's a bad reaction to something in the heroin, and you could try purifying it to see if that improves things.

Wow u r the first person other then myseld that ive seen complain of this. I used to have perfect lungs and then one day i started weezing really bad at night and didnt know what was going on eventually i had to start using a asthma pump and i canot snort dope anymore as soon as i do i cant breathe. It wasnt like that in the beginingg i had no problem snorting dope but nowa days even a tiny bump will close up my lungs and i need a pump. So i switched to smoking my dope but once the dope was not chaseable anymore i had two options either go clean which i tried or start iv'ing i never liked shooting but that is what i wound up doing. So either switch up ur roa or go clean those r ur options . Even when i iv my lungs never close right away but i find myself using my ashtma pump sometimes but when i am clean i do not use it at all. You should get one either way its called albuterol. The doc said that there is a small percentage of heroin users that are just somehow allergic to snorting dope and that is what i think is the case with us.

In the movie Pulp Fiction there is a scene where Uma Thurman thought that H was C and snorted it - she ODed and couldn't breathe and her heart stopped. They had to revive her with an adrenaline injection to the heart muscle.
Maybe that's just how high doses of heroin work. Why don't you try to switch to other drug - Ibogaine or LSD ? I know nothing compares to H in what H does, but maybe a change of mindset would allow you to feel good with other drugs and not threaten your life. I personally believe that drugs are ok if not over-abused or really hazardous. Let's face it, most drugs are safer than tobacco and alcohol, so why not ?

thank you guys for taking the time to respond to me.... i just got back from the doc and she said i have "acute bronchitis" they gave me a antibiotic, mucinex, some cough medicine for nitetime, and an inhaler. thats right a fucking inhaler, it is labeled on the box as "ventolin" its sad to think about the damage being done to my body but all i can think about during all this is whens the next day i can use. Im going to try and give my body at least a few days rest before i do it all over again but maybe all these meds will help with the RD when it happns next time? i dont do other substances b/c of money and other shit stays in ur system longer, i get tested every week by a doctor,but dope is super cheap and its out of my system in 2 days. I will not switch to IV b/c if i do theres no stopping that train, i have never smoked it b4 though but i hear its kind of a waste to do that... fuck if i know

In the movie Pulp Fiction there is a scene where Uma Thurman thought that H was C and snorted it - she ODed and couldn't breathe and her heart stopped. They had to revive her with an adrenaline injection to the heart muscle.
Maybe that's just how high doses of heroin work. Why don't you try to switch to other drug - Ibogaine or LSD ? I know nothing compares to H in what H does, but maybe a change of mindset would allow you to feel good with other drugs and not threaten your life. I personally believe that drugs are ok if not over-abused or really hazardous. Let's face it, most drugs are safer than tobacco and alcohol, so why not ?

Nothing like H? There are literally thousands of other opiates. Switching from heroin to LSD or Ibogain, that's quite random, really random. Oh, and the whole Uma Thurman thing, this isn't a movie. IRL they inject you with narcan, which doesn't need to be a huge needle that you jam through someone's chest plate to knock off the opiates from your receptor, not to jump start anything. It's important to make sure you check your facts a little bit better.

OP just try and take less

I get SEVERE respiratory depression every time i snort H. The RD doesnt set in till nightitme when i try and go to sleep but i mean its severe and i get this horrible cough that lasts for days. On the days that I use, I am up all night long coughing, wheezing, and trying desperately to control my breathing. This coughing and wheezing lasts for DAYS. I read that much of the RD is just me panicking and most of it is in my head but last night was really bad, my mom wanted to take me to the emergency room. Today shes taking me to doctor for what she thinks is a "sinus infection" which it very well could be, but no one can know that i am using again. Maybe he will give me something to stop the coughing? But why do i get such severe RD and coughing in the first place? when I snort I do all my bags at once in one huge line, i tried another way of doing little bumps over the course of the day... but still get the RD. Ive been suffering from this addiction for years now, I used to IV then went on subs for a year and didnt touch it the entire time i was on them. I was weened off subs slowly and here I am now, 3 weeks free of subs and back on the dope. Some one PLEASE help me.. does anyone else have experience with severe RD? how can i deal with it better?

YES i have this exact problem, finally someone else with the same issue. How ever mine is caused by snorting liquid black tar heroin , or even smoking it. To those of you saying she is going over her dose, WRONG. I can do all kinds of opiates , and take them orally and never run into wheezing or coughing / lung problems.

But as soon as i try doing heroin again, i feel completely fine while i'm on the drug. But when night time comes, and i'm comfortably in sleep . I will wake up gasping for air, each breath feels like a task to get air in. My lungs will make noises and i will not be able to lay down and breath normally, i have to sit up straight. This is the exact reason why i had to quit heroin, as i said it doesn't happen when taking opiate pills. I've gotten pneumonia 2-3 times off heroin and i wasn't even using that much, it just doesn't agree with my lungs for some reason.

OP i know this issue and it is a pain in the ass, you are lucky you didn't get pneumonia. I was coughing out nasty thick mucus for days that was lodged in my lungs, all thanks to heroin. I would take this as a blessing in disguise and try to get off Heroin, that is what i did. It is pretty much the only thing i think about when i feel like picking up more dope.

edit: there is another option. I never thought i'd try pluggin but it's better than gasping for air literally on the verge of dying. Look up how to plug and try it, i noticed my lungs functioned much better when i switched to plugging H, how ever it takes longer to do and isn't always fun.

Last edited:
Railing huge lines of any drug is in addition to being highly ineffective, very damaging to your sinus passages, lungs, and respiratory system in general. Much of that powder is simply going straight into your lungs, especially if you sniff heavily and with force. You should insufflate small amounts at a time rather than all at once. Less Hoover, more dustbuster.

First off you are not having respiratory depression associated with high dose opiates, that's not the issue. The fact is if you snort any powder there is no way to not allow some of it to get into your lungs. I have the same problem as you, and like you it comes on shortly after the high subsides and is worse when lying down. I have had the same problem snorting heroin, oxycodone, and oxymorphone. For me my lungs feel very tight and its similar to an allergic asthma. I try to sniff the stuff as lightly as possible and use a saline spray before sniffing, then wait around 5 minutes without breathing through nose, then saline again. My nose gets clogged to shit from snorting opioids, too. For some reason it causes me bad inflammation, I suppose it would be allergy related, but there are no other signs of allergy, just inflammation. I have been able to keep it under control, though, using corticosteroids like flonase for my nose and flovent for my lungs. As long as I use those I am fine, if I don't it will start to get bad and only get worse the longer use.

thank you guys for taking the time to respond to me.... i just got back from the doc and she said i have "acute bronchitis" they gave me a antibiotic, mucinex, some cough medicine for nitetime, and an inhaler. thats right a fucking inhaler, it is labeled on the box as "ventolin" its sad to think about the damage being done to my body but all i can think about during all this is whens the next day i can use. Im going to try and give my body at least a few days rest before i do it all over again but maybe all these meds will help with the RD when it happns next time? i dont do other substances b/c of money and other shit stays in ur system longer, i get tested every week by a doctor,but dope is super cheap and its out of my system in 2 days. I will not switch to IV b/c if i do theres no stopping that train, i have never smoked it b4 though but i hear its kind of a waste to do that... fuck if i know

I did the same thing when I had the issue form snorting oxycodone. They gave me the same diagnosis, the bronchitis and they gave me an antibiotic and the same Ventolin (albuterol) inhaler. Prior to getting that I was using my dads albuterol inhaler that he never uses, and it kept me breathing all right, but had to use it every 4-6 hours(it should not be used like that, BTW). Then it ran out and I got a primatene (sp?) Mist inhaler, which is an OTC epinephrine inhaler. It was allowing me to breath too, but didn't wok that great and one time it got so bad I almost called 911 thinking I was going to pass out and die because I literally couldn't get a breath in. I all of a sudden coughed while I had my cell out dialing 911 and this big chunk of mucus came out of my lungs, then I could breath thankfully. Probably top 5 scariest moment of my life. The next day I went to the Dr. I also found out the flovent worked because my dad had an advair diskus, which also has the steroid that is flovent, but advair also has a med similar to albuterol (a bronchodilator). I noticed using that for 3-4 days straight completely got rid of symptoms, so when I saw my Dr. most recently I made up an excuse to have her give me the flovent.

Last edited:
Bump.
Anyone else with similar experiences, i wanna know why other opiates don't cause me problems while heroin does. And also OP what's your situation, any update..?

yea i tried the suggestions you guys gave me about doing small bumps at a time, spaced out over the day.I think its a much better method for snorting. The RD is still there at night but deff was not as severe, but this could also be due to the fact that I use the inhaler the doc gave me. I got over the bronchitis, but i've been on a binge lately using everyday and I still have a cough, Ive had the cough for weeks now. Im getting worried about that cough, but maybe its only cuz I have not taken a break from using... once i have the willpower to take a few days break maybe the cough will go away? Like I said before, the inhaler is a lifesaver but its sad I have to use it in the first place... when I first started snorting years ago I never had this problem. I hate being sick like this everytime I use, also im scared about what will happen when the inhaler runs out.. I have around 170 pulls/ puffs left. I dont have access to other opiates these days or mostly its just i dont feel like looking + spending more money, I havent touched a blue/ any other opiate besides dope in over 2 years so yea id be curious to see if I get the RD from those- this is my update, and thank you for taking an interest
and BTW- my name is MR. snowy grainius(mrsnowygrainius) not MRS. nowy grainius, im a dude

I'll say it again, get a advair diskus or a flovent inhaler from a doctor. They have steroids that help people with chronic asthma issues. Fluticasone is the steroid in these meds, but advair also has a longer acting bronchodilator called salmeterol(so you prob don't need the advair). I have eliminated the same issues with a minimum dose flovent inhaler I use. After a week you hardly need to use it more than once a day because it builds up in your system.

They are deemed safe for everyday use and are a better treatment than constant use of albuterol. I went a long time just using the albuterol inhaler and I still have it just in case things get bad, but I rarely use it now.

And if your nose gets clogged from snorting get Flonase, same steroid but for the nasal passages in a pump mist bottle.

Also, Heroin is a major releaser of histamine just like morphine...

This in turn can make allergic reactions happen, this includes setting off asthma...

Swims Respiratory system does feel how shall i say odd when snorting Dope as of recently swim has been snorting Raw h one rock is brown and the other is whiteish tan when swim snorts the brown h the nose gets runny and when wiped with a tissue or napkin swim notices its brown mucus not even close to green its been like that for a week i dont know whether to be alarmed or to not worry but for your rd it could possibly be the cut try to find out what it is you could possibly be allergic. Or perhaps youre tolerance can play a role in youre dilemma try to do less and see if it works if it doesnt buy medicine for sinus relief and if that doesnt work i suggest going to the doctor alone if thats possible tell youre doctor you do opiates dont be specific about H

It seems like you're allergic to something in the heroin........also, your tolerance may be too low for H.

Pills are safer to a degree as you know exactly whats in them so you also can control how much you take.. ....

My brother also had raspy breathing from snorting. He used to snort it right out of the bag, now he dumps it on a table (mirror, glass, iphone, anything flat), and SLOWLY snorts it. It is funny looking, but it worked. Along with one of those inhalers. He had a bad attack and went to hospital, his lungs stopped working, just like a bad asthma attack.

Yeah i know this is old. But i need help. Ive been snorting H for around 2 years now. Ive NEVER once had an Asthma attack from snorting. Until about 2 weeks ago. I got some brownish dope and when chopping it up it seemed really dry. I snorted a line and i literally felt like a fish out of the water trying to breathe. Luckily my roomie has an albuterol inhaler. That cured me within seconds. The next morning i tried again. Same thing. It feels as if i snorted sand and it all went straight into my lungs. Also it completely clogs the nostril in which i used for snorting. I also don't feel high (i just feel normal. as in it will take away withdrawal symptoms) I gave dope a break for around 2 weeks and switched to sub. Then one day my friend offered me a line of white dope (probably fentanyl) and there was no attack, no clogged nostril and i got got super high (i snorted a line only 2 hours after taking 4mg suboxone and got high and DID NOT experience precipitated wd) after a few days the white was gone and it was back to brown and im getting attacks again.

So why this sudden allergic reaction to brown dope i am getting from different towns/dealers?
I even get a drip and it's not getting me high?!

Im so confused?!?!

Yeah i know this is old. But i need help. Ive been snorting H for around 2 years now. Ive NEVER once had an Asthma attack from snorting. Until about 2 weeks ago. I got some brownish dope and when chopping it up it seemed really dry. I snorted a line and i literally felt like a fish out of the water trying to breathe. Luckily my roomie has an albuterol inhaler. That cured me within seconds. The next morning i tried again. Same thing. It feels as if i snorted sand and it all went straight into my lungs. Also it completely clogs the nostril in which i used for snorting. I also don't feel high (i just feel normal. as in it will take away withdrawal symptoms) I gave dope a break for around 2 weeks and switched to sub. Then one day my friend offered me a line of white dope (probably fentanyl) and there was no attack, no clogged nostril and i got got super high (i snorted a line only 2 hours after taking 4mg suboxone and got high and DID NOT experience precipitated wd) after a few days the white was gone and it was back to brown and im getting attacks again.

So why this sudden allergic reaction to brown dope i am getting from different towns/dealers?
I even get a drip and it's not getting me high?!

Im so confused?!?!

I don't know whats going on with your heroin . The heroin in Atlanta is decent #4 Heroin . I checked the purity ,and it was 97% pure . I have never had issues with snorting H . Maybe its cut with something. Apparently if its brown powder its #3 Heroin which is not as pure .