• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction New article in Scientific American on Kratom for opiate detox and harm reduction

SammyK

Greenlighter
A new article has been issued in Scientific American about Kratom. Discusses the research being done on this plant from harm reduction to opiate withdrawal aid.

Should Kratom Use Be Legal?

Thailand is considering legalizing kratom as a safer alternative for meth addicts, and U.S. researchers are studying its potential to help opiate abusers kick the habit without withdrawal side effects. Is that a good thing?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=should-kratom-be-legal&WT.mc_id=SA_Facebook

Im all for legalization but Id also like to see more definitive research on its health effects before watching a generation of users engage in long term use. Its been reported in a few places that some people with liver damage can experience hepatic problems with kratom usage serious enough to warrant immediate cessation and even hospital visits.

Im curious about kratom but like many addicts my liver is less than perfect. As a heavy boozer, Im hesitant to risk an unhealthy reaction with my liver function. That issue aside, kratom seems to help plenty of people kick harder opiates without any other glaring dangers and at least deserves a very good look.

kratom isnt anything special. its weak and short lasting. it can have nasty nausea, more than other opiates, and sometimes unpleasant stimulation.

i dont see why it would be superior to hydrcodone or codeine or other weak opiates. and suboxone and methadone last longer for maintenance/tapering

kratom absolutely does cause withdrawals.

there is absolutely no reason it would help meth users.... wtf? its an opiate...

i think it should be kept legal, i keep a few ounces around just in case of emergency. but i think anyone who uses it long term recreationally is a fool

Im all for legalization but Id also like to see more definitive research on its health effects before watching a generation of users engage in long term use. Its been reported in a few places that some people with liver damage can experience hepatic problems with kratom usage serious enough to warrant immediate cessation and even hospital visits.

Im curious about kratom but like many addicts my liver is less than perfect. As a heavy boozer, Im hesitant to risk an unhealthy reaction with my liver function. That issue aside, kratom seems to help plenty of people kick harder opiates without any other glaring dangers and at least deserves a very good look.

Well, if you are a "heavy boozer" there is a lot of things I wouldn't consider taking...including tylenol/APAP for the sake of your liver!

RedRum OG, I agree it can have a lot of side effects, isn't all that strong (if you already have a tolerance to opiates/opioids) and causes withdrawals but I think it definately has a place in medicine for helping with withdrawals for some people.

The only thing I can think of as far as help with getting of meth is maybe because of its stimulant effect. BTW, for some people this is exactly WHY they take opiates/opioids, for that up feeling. Not everyone (including myself) enjoys nodding. So when that is the case,. Kratom might be a good thing!. For myself it is pretty much useless. My tolerance to pharms is too high. If I take enough kratom to help with WDs it does make me nauseated.