• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine Mega Thread and FAQ v16.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for mydrugbuddy and captain, or anyone else who's been on sub long-term and tapered down to sub-milligram doses- do you work? i mean, are you going to your job feeling like garbage when you get lower than .25mg or do you not have a job, or take some vacation days to get through it?

It sounds pretty rough so just wondering how you get through it if you have other responsibilities, when even laying around in bed sounds quite uncomfortable.

The withdrawals are not debilitating. They are not as bad as something like heroin withdrawal where you are literally in bed and can't function. You can work and carry out your normal daily activities while tapering on suboxone or after you've stopped and are in acute withdrawal. You're uncomfortable sure, but you can still function, work, etc.

Oh and your remark about stims reminded me - my doctor regularly scripts stimulants when people are coming off of subs, if needed (not to everyone of course, but he's pretty liberal), or if they're already on something like adderall he will amp up the dose as you take less and less sub. Benzos are oft too strong for me, but I'm thinking about asking him for a few tramadol to ease the transition when I'm near the end of the taper.

Fuckin hell this tiny reduction from 0.25 to 0.1 is prooving quite hard. Its the smallest reduction ive made but i suppose as a percentage type thing its quite a big jump. Day 3 so far, no signs of it getting any easier, i feel this is gonna take several more days until i feel half human again. Im probably gonna stay on this dose until i feel 100% well and adjusted to it, i dont think it'll help me rushing into the next jump before ive fully regained my health and strength.

Im not bed ridden and have energy to walk quickly (i remember really bad wds when all the ancient decrepit OAPs would be overtaking me on the pavements, so relatively this is nothing) and do stuff and type on here, so its not that bad, just a seemingly never ending grotty feeling. Thats just how it seems though, the worst of the grottyness is usually over within 1 week after every reduction. I sometimes take a weeks 'rest and recuparion' on the new dose once the worst of the grottyness has past to try to regain my stamina and mentally prepare for the next stage. 2 more of these stages to go through. This is the pros and cons of the long drawn out taper method ive gone for.

I know stimulants are a very bad idea in this situation, sure they will help enormously in the very short term, but looking further ahead than the few hours of lift, there'll be a comedown, then it'll be difficult to eat and sleep, so im not doing any strong stims, as im sure that'll have a negative effect on 'healing'. However what about benzos, pregabalin, beer (very moderate consumption), and cannabinoids, they seem to help ?

Anyone know if they interfere with or slow down the 'healing' process or if they make no difference, and you might as well take advantage of the apparent easing of symptoms they seem to offer ?

Damn! Good for you! I see others have pointed out that you cut your dose in OVER half. I was never able to get below .25mg of sub. It might take you a little longer than the average three days to even out, but stick with it.
Nerontin REALLY helped me jump six months ago. I jumped four times previously and couldn't get past 30 days. I think the only thing that will slow down the healing is more opiates. I personally don't care for pot but it's helped allot of people in WD.
Congrats on getting off (or nearly off) sub.

You can use more than 32 mg of suboxone as it's a waste of time.

Good news is my key worker is going to try n bring ny doctors appointment forward so I can ask to increase my suboxone.
Hopefully, then I can start sorting my life out :(

Please take care all of you,

Evey xxx

Ok Guys. I seem to be taking about 280-320 mg a day of oxy. I just can't seem to taper at all. Some days I screw up and will do 400!!! OUCH!!!

At this level how do I transition to Sub?

I have 9 ( 8mg) Strips and I'm told that will be enough to ween me off with little discomfort.

I have other meds to help if needed. Clonidine , tramadol, xanax, adderall I also have kartom and withdrawl ease. Not to mention pot that I keep just in case. I've built up these things in the event I may need them. My goal is to quit and then discard all this stuff. I now have an RX for oxy and the xanax and all the other stuff listed except for the pot. Don't ask how, you know working different doctors will get this. And I really wanted to be as legal as possible, As I am a law abiding citizen.

I want to be off oxy for good by the end of the year. Traveling abroad in Feb and don't need the hassle of needing the drugs to survive. I know 300 mg a day is a hell of a lot but I know I can do this.

What do I do?

If I just go CT I will be screwed for a month. I think using the subs to finish this I won't be that screwed up person with no ambition or energy to do anything. I can only be out of the real world for 4-6 days.

Thank you for your help.

So to sum up my question : How do I transition to the Sub.

Need to know how long to wait from last dose of oxy ( min time please) and how much I should take and how often .

One other question... Will the tramadol( ultracet) keep me addicted to opiates? I am confused on the med. Is it an opiate, does it work? I see people talk a lot of shit about it. My Dr gave it to me for pain, but I kinda pushed for it as I heard it could help me quit the oxy.

^^^

The steps to transition are always the same. Tapering just makes it easier, but if you can't do it, you still go about inducting onto suboxone the same way.

You take your last dose of opiates and then wait until you are in moderate withdrawal (the COWS scale can help a lot with determining how sick you are) and then begin taking the suboxone. Take 2mg's at first, see how you feel, then take 2mg's again 2 hours later if needed. Repeat that until you feel relief of your symptoms or you reach 8mg's on the first day and don't take anymore. You can stretch it to 12mg's if needed.

does anyone else dissolve strip in a little bit of water and snort it? it hits you much quicker and seems to last pretty much the same amount of time. that's the only way i feel anything off of subs

it burns a little but no worse than oxys

^^^

Yes a lot of people use suboxone that way. The bioavailability is higher when used intranasal.

do you know of a better way than having to snort water up my nose? i have read that some people cut the film into tiny pieces and then snort it but then you run the risk of inhaling too hard and wasting the sub

Oh and your remark about stims reminded me - my doctor regularly scripts stimulants when people are coming off of subs, if needed (not to everyone of course, but he's pretty liberal), or if they're already on something like adderall he will amp up the dose as you take less and less sub. Benzos are oft too strong for me, but I'm thinking about asking him for a few tramadol to ease the transition when I'm near the end of the taper.

im not sure about stims atall, i dont think they're a good idea for me. Of course you feel great for a few hours, but then cos you havnet been able to eat properly and'll probably have to take more benzos to sleep you're gonna feel even more run down the next day IME. Im allready taking modafinil or wellbutrin/buproprion as milder stims to help with mood and energy, but im very wary of taking any 'harder' stims than those atm. I'll probably crumble before long and have a mini stim binge and make it harder for myself. I seem to have a habit of making things difficult for myself.

^^^

Yes a lot of people use suboxone that way. The bioavailability is higher when used intranasal.

some people seem to think the overall duration and half life is shorter that way. I started off snorting them, but soon switched to SL. With a good non alocohol mouthwash first i think the maximum possible ammount is absorbed via the sublibguall route though as you say the bio availabilty is still probably lower than the IN route. Im not sure of the %s and all that but thers not much in it. I do remember that IV is about 99-100% and swalloing them is 10% or less. I think SL and IN are around 30- 40% IIRC.

Aside from the potentially higher BA the nasal route has no more pros and the cons out weigh it. I have snorted all sorts of pills/drugs and none have fucked my nose up as much as Subs. It would get clogged to the point where I could not breath through my nose whatsoever without nasal decongestant spray. Not to mention its a good way to absorb more naloxone and being a person who seems to have an intolerance to it I get awful headaches, nausea and joint pain when I snorted it. I also find it does not increase the speed it kicks in much, it is quicker but there is no quick come up and its only a little quicker.

Subs are cheap and Docs will Rx you way more than you need so I don't find any need to use it other ways than SL. Also the alcohol potentiation method is going to raise the BA right up to the nasal %s and it has no ill effects.

^^^

The steps to transition are always the same. Tapering just makes it easier, but if you can't do it, you still go about inducting onto suboxone the same way.

You take your last dose of opiates and then wait until you are in moderate withdrawal (the COWS scale can help a lot with determining how sick you are) and then begin taking the suboxone. Take 2mg's at first, see how you feel, then take 2mg's again 2 hours later if needed. Repeat that until you feel relief of your symptoms or you reach 8mg's on the first day and don't take anymore. You can stretch it to 12mg's if needed.

Mr S. Thank you .. You have been the most help through out my quest to try and stop this freekin " pain pill".

Although I would love to hear someone say.

I Did it like this................ And I was successful.

so if there is anyone that was successful, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Although I would love to hear someone say.

I Did it like this................ And I was successful.

so if there is anyone that was successful, I'd love to hear how you did it.

I hope to be saying that in 2 - 3 weeks time. In fact i am going to be saying it. It may sound highly pretentious, like the sort of thing only Ussain Bolt can get away with saying, but he visualises himself winning and it allways come true. Its down to belief. I need to learn to trust myself more. I can do it and im going to do it. And Im going to feel proud of myself. That is a very rare occurence for me.

Im finding cannabinoids help a lot with the physical symptoms. They bring a great deal of relief. Though its hard to say if the etiz and beer isnt also helping.

Yeah Mr S i would also like to thank you for your knowledgable and sensible advice. It has been a very good decision to install you as one of the mods over here.

Last edited:
Hi there.
Its great you want to do this. Everyone is so different and so many things are at play here. everyone on BL could give a method to try and they could all work for you or none work at all. You will find one however, that will be the best for you! Its best to get as much info from you as possible and then you can weed through it and take the best advice you can find! The main thing to remember is, it can be done! Many have done it, are doing it, and will :) Even if it doesn't work perfectly, just remember how awful it would have been without any help and how great you will feel when it is over! And BTW, I'm encouraging not chastising.
And it might help to know: how many Oxys do you have to play with for the taper? And what is your exact time period to do this in?
I wish you all the luck with this and hopefully you can find an efficient, safe and smooth plan :)
Scarlet.
Also, thanks for the advice, I am now down to 10mg from my 16mg! I plan to get to 8mg after a week at this dose! It was pretty smooth so thanks for easing my mind.

^^^^^
If you were addressing me, and it seems so. How many oxy do I have to make this taper happen. It's rx'd to me and every month I get A Lot. Well not enough lol. I get 10 per day in my script. and I strategically end up back at the Dr's like 5 days early or even earlier. Just can't be noticeably early. He used to be tight until he gave me a urine toxicology test. Wanted to make sure I was taking them./ When he first started giving them to me. ( not long ago) He said. " Do you know the street value of these?" So I guess he was worried if I was selling them.

I also have outside sources if I can't get back to the DR fast enough. I really have an Injury that started this all way back when. Now I think it's better, but I can't tell. Either way I'm ready to stop. Been on them this time for 6 months or so.

every time I have a flare up of my injury it lasts a month or two and it takes me 6months to stop the meds.

Can suboxone slow down metabolism? I'm going to look this up but just wanted to see if anyone else has any experience of this????? Has anyone put on lots of weight since going on suboxone?

No, it doesnt seem to like some other opis that give you massive muchies either (when yiu get down to low doses). If you are taking doses big enough to get high off then IIRC it makes you crave sugary sweet things by the pack. I may well not be recalling correctly though. My first 2 months on bupe are a blur as i lost all control with it initially, before i caught myself and put the breaks on, and came to my senses slightly.

Bupe feels more like a stimulant than an opi in some ways, which is weird. It may even dampen appetite. Not sure tbh.

I hope to be saying that in 2 - 3 weeks time. In fact i am going to be saying it. It may sound highly pretentious, like the sort of thing only Ussain Bolt can get away with saying, but he visualises himself winning and it allways come true. Its down to belief. I need to learn to trust myself more. I can do it and im going to do it. And Im going to feel proud of myself. That is a very rare occurence for me.

It doesn't sound pretentious at all, it sounds like exactly the kind of positive self-talk you NEED to be able to quit subs and stay off them. When people have doubts or describe themselves as a person destined to fail, they become self-fulfilling prophecies, and I definitely believe the right mindset is the most important factor in getting off of anything.

If you haven't read "The Secret" you may want to take a look at it. If you don't take it too literally it can be a nice pick-up when you're feeling insecure about your ability to get through it. Or if you think "The Secret" is too hokey, there's a more analytical type of book called "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" which boils down to the same points but in a different way. Visualize, believe, actualize, that type of stuff... I used to laugh at people who were into those kinds of books but after seeing it in action in my own life I find it inspiring.

Ziggy stardust.......your inbox is full...clear some space so I can pm you back

Status
Not open for further replies.