• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My opiate withdrawal experience, starting 9/9/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun arson

Greenlighter
Hi all, my name is the Norwegian "Gunnarson", not "gun arson", but I think it's too late to fix that.
I am from Minnesota, male, 42 years old.

This is my first post.

Anyway, this is going to be my record of my experience quitting hydrocodone, 5/500's. I have averaged 40 mg, or 8 pills per day for the past ten years.

There were times that I would take 75mg, or 15 pills per day, but generally I wouldn't take more than prescribed per 24-hour period, but I NEVER took them AS PRESCRIBED, instead of 1-2 pills every 6 hours, I would take 4 pills (20mg) twice a day, afternoon and evening.

For the past six years, I have been getting dialysis treatments 3X a week, 4 hours each time, while I wait for a kidney transplant. (My kidney failure is not drug related, I've had kidney issues since birth.)

I was prescribed hydrocodone for Avascular Necrosis in my hip, and for peripheral neuropathy in my feet. I have now been prescribed Gapapentin 900mg per day, to take the edge off the nerve pain in my feet. I have been taking only 300mg per day so far, and will be increasing the dose to 900mg per day over several days.

I am hoping that increasing the dose of Gabapentin will help with the hydrocodone withdrawal, which I have read helps some people. I am starting with a Gabapentin dose of 300mg per day.

I have detoxed cold turkey once before, 3 years ago, when my Dr. retired, and I was assigned a new one. It took 11 days to get my hydrocodone prescription filled, and I experienced horrible withdrawals. I was completely unprepared for the total mental, physical, emotional and spiritual debasement.

The worst physical symptoms for me were the constant diarrhea, and especially the restless legs, which made it impossible to sleep during this time. Nothing more than a hour or two at a time, and they were these restless, feverish naps that were nothing like the solid, restful sleep I was desperate for.

Again, the restless legs (RLS), were the worst for me. It was even in my arms and torso.

Every ten seconds or so, I had that uncontrollable urge to jerk around. I tried bandaging my legs with a tight Ace bandage, and wearing tight shoes to bed, which helped somewhat, but not completely, and still I couldn't sleep. It kept me awake for 11 nights straight, and the RLS seemed only to come at night; once the sun came up, the RLS seemed to dissipate somewhat, and I slept in one-hour increments throughout the day. Then nighttime came, and it started again.

I am now quitting cold turkey, after a veeeeery slight, quick taper for two days.

I am doing this because I am going to be a paid lab rat for a clinical research facility in a hospital. I had a full physical, blood test and EKG at the facility, and was cleared for participation in the study and approved by my nephrologist. *EDIT* as of 9/13/13, my admit date has been moved ahead two weeks so I can clear my system of another drug I am taking, called Sensipar, which I take to keep my parathyroid hormone in check, something we dialysis patients have to do (it's not an opiate, and there are no withdrawals from it).

In this clinical study, I will be given small doses of oral Nalbuphine Hydrochloride (Nubain) over the course of 14 days to test how it clears through the system of someone on dialysis.

This is a "dose escalation" study. the planned oral Nubain doses are: 30mg BID, 60mg BID, and 180mg BID ("BID" means twice a day). One of the prerequisites of the study is that I be clean of all opiates for several days before admit to the facility.

Nubain is an opiate agonist/antagonist, and if I have any opiates in my system, Nubain can throw me into immediate withdrawal.

I am hoping to be clear of any opiates in 5 days, and hope to be experiencing withdrawal by the time I am given my first dose of Nubain.

I do not know if Nubain will help with the withdrawals or not, but I will be spending 15 days, 14 nights in a hospital setting, with nothing to do but watch TV, dink around on my Ipad, sleep, and wait for mealtime. If I am going to stop the hydrocodone, this seems like the perfect opportunity.

My first day NOT taking 40 mg per day involved me taking 35 mg, or 7 pills that day. I am calling this day one.
**************************************************************************************************************

9/9/13-Day one of detox/withdrawal: 35 mg (7pills) of hydrocodone, 300 mg of Gabapentin: No adverse effects.

9/10/13-Day two of detox/withdrawal: 15 mg (3pills) of hydrocodone, 600mg of Gabapentin: slightly flushed that night, no other adverse effects.

9/11-Day three of detox/withdrawal: 0mg of hydrocodone, 700 mg of Gabapentin: slightly woozy during the day, but relaxed. The Gabapentin is making me slightly clumsy, which is one possible side effect. Mild dizziness, but generally I feel low-key, friendly and comfortable. VERY mild musculoskeletal aches, as if I am slowly getting the flu, but nothing particularly unpleasant. Body temp is elevated very slightly, as if a fever is coming on. No sleep issues.

9/12/13-Day 4 of detox/withdrawal: 0mg of hydrocodone, 800mg of Gabapentin, 1500mg acetaminophen: just like yesterday. slightly dizzy during the day, laid back, low-key and funky feeling from the Gabapentin. Slightly clumsy but comfortable during the day so far. Took three tylenol to stave off body aches, which never really came. Feeling friendly and a little chatty, kinda have an increased appetite, it seems I can't get full. Been eating all evening. The dysphoria and physical symptoms that always begin to set in for me after 48 hours without opiates have not appeared. Time for bed.

9/13/13-Day 5 of detox/withdrawal: 800mg of Gabapentin, 1500mg acetaminophen: Slept like a BABY last night. VERY restful sleep, and I slept all night and woke refreshed and comfortable. I would even go so far as to say that I slept better last night than I have in a long time. The Gabapentin seems to eliminate or severely diminish the WD symptoms I have always begun to experience by the 48-hour mark. So far, no diarrhea, restless legs, cramping, yawning, bleary eyes, difficulty sleeping, agitation, dysphoria...NONE of that. With the exception of some VERY minor body aches, no WD's yet, with the exception of one slightly loose bowel movement.

Also, my sex drive seems to be revving-up, not that it was gone previously, but there seems to be a rumble in the jungle that makes me feel like I'm 14 years old again.

Thus far, I think the Gabapentin is working WONDERS at keeping the most unpleasant WD's at bay: no restless legs ( I've been sleeping GREAT, very restful, comfortable sleep), virtually no musculoskeletal problems, no shivering, sweating, or stomach issues, in fact, my appetite has been VERY healthy. I wouldn't call it the munchies or anything, but more like a robustly healthy appetite. It's a little difficult to get satiated, I eat all evening, then hit the sheets.

More on Gabapentin: I was prescribed Gabapentin several months ago to combat the peripheral neuropathy in my feet, which can come with being on dialysis for several years, though I am not diabetic. I was intrigued when I read that a drug I was already prescribed may have some beneficial effect on WD's. I had been taking 300mg per day for the neuropathy, with no real effect. Then, four months ago, the Dr. Upped the dose to 900mg per day. That dosage made me dizzy and clumsy, the cure was worse the disease, so I dropped back to 300mg per day.

Since I began detoxing, I have been taking 700-800 mg the past two days, (200mg in the morning, 300mg at noon, and the rest at night an hour before bed, since it takes a couple hours for the drug to take effect, and getting a good nights sleep with no restless legs is priority number one for me. The neuropathy (nerve pain) in my feet has now been non-existent, which is something that always got particularly bad at the 48-hour mark, and not even a twinge of the Restless legs.

Gabapentin makes me feel comfortable, pleasant and a bit chatty and loosey-goosey, a bit clumsy, and a little like there's cotton stuffed in my head. There is no opiate euphoria, but a relaxed, comfortable and content feeling, which I can best describe as a lazy, Sunday morning feeling, which is an absolute Godsend while withdrawing from a ten-year opiate habit.

So far, I am inclined to encourage people to look into Gabapentin if they are going to quit opiates cold turkey like I am. I am 42 years old, 230 lbs, and 800mg of Gabapentin per day seems to be just right for me. I have read of some folks taking much more than that, and my neurologist has told me that he regularly prescribes 1800- 3600mg per day for his neuropathy patients, so it's very safe at the amounts I am taking. Your mileage may vary, of course.

9/14/13-day 6 of detox/withdrawal- 300mg Gabapentin, 30 mg hydrocodone
Today I was informed that my admit date to the hospital for my clinical drug study was moved ahead two weeks, to 9/27/13. This was unfortunate, as I was all ready to go in on 9/16. Since I would now have to get around normally for the next 2weeks instead of lounging in my hospital room, I had to go back on the hydro just to move around comfortably for the next week.

Thus far, I have been able to grind through the hip/knee pain (it only hurts when I put pressure on the joint)-knowing that I would soon be in a hospital setting, and wouldn't have to move if I didn't want to.

Now that I have another couple of weeks that I have to get around with the business of daily living, I am back on the hydro at a decreased dose for the next 6 days.

I took 30 mg (15mg 2X) today (9/14). I will be tapering the dose down to zero over the next 6 days, and I will continue with my detox/withdrawal report on 9/20 when I reach zero mg hydrocodone again.

The Gabapentin is AMAZING for combatting my withdrawals, though I will clearly need to come up with a realistic pain management plan once my drug study is over and I am out of the hospital. This is complicated by the fact that I am on dialysis, which limits my pain control options.

Nevertheless, I REALLY wish to document my experience with stopping hydrocodone with the help of Gabapentin, as well as the effects of the study drug Nalbuphine Hydrochloride.

I shall return to this report on 9/20.

9/20/13-day one of opiate withdrawal-0mg hydrocodone, 700 mg Gabapentin (200mg, 200mg, 300mg).

No adverse effects. First day of no hydro after tapering the past three days, from 30mg, to 15, then 15mg on the final day. Again, 0 mg today. Feeling slightly woozy, but comfy.

9/21/13-day 2 of withdrawal, 0 hydro, 800mg Gabapentin (200mg, 200mg, 400mg).

Again, no adverse effects. Slept very well last night, no restless legs, cramps, stomach issues, or otherwise. Still a little lazy-hazy from the Gabapentin, I seem me to have a rather voracious appetite, not really like the munchies, though. I am also a little clumsy, but feeling content. Slept like a BABY again. Gabapentin rocks! I wouldn't call it pleasurable, exactly, but more that I am on an even keel emotionally, physically, and mentally. It is a VERY, VERY FAR cry from the near total mental, physical, emotional and spiritual debasement I have experienced going cold turkey with nothing but Tylenol. Any withdrawal symptoms should certainly begin to set in tonight, if they come at all.

9/22/13-day three withdrawal, 800mg Gabapentin (200, 300, and 300mg)
Slept great again, I can feel the opiates leaving my system, things are beginning to feel different. Still no withdrawal symptoms, apart from a very slight jangled, raw feeling. The Gabapenting is doing it's job, still basically comfortable. Having no sleep or stomach/intestinal issues is wonderful.

9/23/13-day four withdrawal, 800mg Gabapentin-
Once again, slept comfortably through the night, have that "lazy Sunday morning" feeling from the Gabapentin, aside from one slightly loose BM this morning, and a slight ache in my big toe joint last night, NO unpleasant WD's.

9/24/13-Day five withdrawal, 800mg Gabapentin, one "gulp" of Imodium AD-
Slept great, voracious appetite, still no real withdrawals, except for some VERY mild random body aches, and feeling a bit lethargic. Took the Imodium AD just in case, rather than a burning need, so to speak. Generally comfortable and content. Most importantly, no restless legs or diarrhea.

9/25/13-Day six of Withdrawal, 900mgGabapentin, 1500mg Tylenol, one "gulp of Immodium AD-
Slept great, although I did notice the faintest twinge of the restless legs last night, not enough to disturb my sleep, which came quickly, and I never awoke during the night, I did notice it as I was falling asleep. VERY slight random body aches, which the Tylenol took care of, and I took the Immodium just in case. My verdict is that the WD's have been staying more or less at bay.

9/26/13 -day 7 of withdrawal, 900 mg Gabapentin (300 mg 3x daily)
Slept great again, minor aches and pains, one slightly loose stool, but nothing Imodium-worthy, healthy appetite, VERY SLIGHT restless feet, able to fall asleep easily, though. Slightly clumsy, and the feeling that my head is stuffed with cotton. Feeling content and more or less comfortable and easily able to get on with my day.

9/27/13-day 8 of withdrawal, 900 mg Gabapentin (300mg 3X daily)
Slept great, no RLS, no aches or nausea. Went in for my Nubain (Nalbuphine) study this morning, passed the opiate test, so the hydro's are officially out of my blood, felt fine today, except for one slightly loose stool. I begin the Nubain tomorrow.

9/28/13-day 9 of withdrawal, 900 mg Gabapentin, 30 mg Nalbuphine
Slept great, slight twinge of RLS, no other symptoms. I admitted to the hospital yesterday for my paid clinical drug study of Nalbuphine. I was given 30mg orally once today. Tomorrow it will be twice, twelve hours apart. It seemed to increase my cotton-headed feeling, and didn't stop the RLS twinge at bedtime, but really just felt fine.

9/29/13-day 10 of withdrawal, 600mg Gabapentin, 60mg Nalbuphine
Slept great, no RLS, feeling lazy and sleepy from the Nalbuphine. Reduced Gabapentin dose down to 600mg, and am doing fine. Another comfortable day, slight muscle aches.

9/30/13-day 11 of withdrawal, 600 mg Gabapentin, 60mg Nalbuphine
Slept great, the Nalbuphine makes me drowsy. Took lots of short naps between blood tests and EKG's. Good appetite, slight muscle aches, but nothing terribly uncomfortable.

10/1/13- day 12 of withdrawal, 600mg, 60mg Nalbuphine
Same as yesterday

10/2/13-day 13 of withdrawal, 600mg Gabapentin, 120 mg Nalbuphine
The dose of the study drug Nalbuphine was doubled today, 60mg 2X a day. Physically fine, except for slight muscle aches, which could be from the extra-soft mattress I am sleeping on here. Feeling relaxed and comfortable, but forgetful. The Nalbuphine seems to make me scatter-brained. There is no opiate-like, euphoric rush, I feel relaxed and chatty for a couple hours after dosing, then sleepy.

10/3/13-day 14 of withdrawal, 600mg Gabapentin, 120 mg Nalbuphine
Same as yesterday

10/4/13-day 15 of withdrawal, 600mg Gabapentin, 120mg Nalbuphine
Again, same as yesterday, mild headache.

10/5/13-day 16of withdrawal, 600mg Gabapentin, 240mg Nalbuphine
Same again as yesterday. The. Nubain dose was doubled today, per study guidelines. Mostly just makes me sleepy, not much pain relief, though I do not know if 240mg is a lot.

10/6/13- day 17, 600mg Gabapentin, 240mg Nalbuphine
Same as yesterday, sleepy, but content.

10/7/13- day 18, 600mg Gabapentin, 360mg Nalbuphine
Same as yesterday, mild headache all day, very drowsy, but able to do stuff, feeling fine.

10/8/13- day19, 600 mg Gabapentin, 360mg Nalbuphine
Just like yesterday, but the headache is gone. Still a bit drowsy for a couple hours after dose, but feeling fine.
There have been no WDs this whole time.

I think I will end my Opiate Withdrawal journal here. I may add to it if anything comes up.

I went into this expecting to be in full withdrawal mode by the time my Nalbuphine study began. I was hoping that the Nalbuphine might alleviate any WD's I might have.

As it turned out, from day ONE, the GABAPENTIN kept ALL of my withdrawals at bay, with the exception of a few days of questionable bowel habits (no diarrhea, however).

I didn't notice the Nalbuphine doing anything extra for me, except making me sleepy, and I was already sleeping VERY comfortably throughout the night.

Having gone through this once before for 11 days several years ago, I was expecting my WD's to be much worse this time around. Instead, they were non-existent. No aggravating aches or pains, bleary eyes, runny nose, sneezing, cramps, stomach issues, diarreah, and most importantly, NO anxiety, insomnia, or Restless Legs.

For me, 900mg Gabapentin (300mg 3X daily) did WONDERS for me. I cannot stress this enough.

Please look into Gabapentin (Neurontin) if you are going to quit cold turkey. It eliminated my WD's, and as of today, I have gone 19 days without Vicodin. It's my longest stretch since 2002!

I hope someone finds this useful!

Much Love,

Gunnarson

Last edited:
youre taking your test in 5 days? but you used on the first 2 days of your 5 day try and get sober experience? if so, those opiates will show. hell, there is even a chance if you go 5 days straight w/ NOTHING they could still show. I know most places read/say 3-4 but it's diff always. had it happen to me at day 5 but I was doing alot more, so who knows.. I tell everyone to give it 7 days to be EXTRA SURE that all goes well.

Best of luck man.. and it can be done! I myself am on Suboxone to get off opiates because I could not handle the physical withdrawals that you described, esp. at the dosage of dope I was using.. but again, best of luck, man! how much that clinic paying? good $$ I bet.

Hah, gun arson - I was like, outside of a Hollywood movie how do you start a fire with a gun? I'm a Swedish-American and my middle name is Gunnar :D

As for the drug test - drink LOTS of cranberry juice and exercise to speed up your metabolism. Other than that it's a toss up.

Regardless you're doing the right thing.

Hi there,

No, I didn't use the first two days of my five day detox, I started writing this a couple days into my detox. I will have 6 days completely without opiates on the day of admittance to the study facility on 9/16. Dosing of Nubain will begin the following day.The washout time of 6 days was determined by the research facility. When I have done studies in the past, once or twice (20% of the time) the opiates wouldn't even show up in my drug screen, (I don't know if dialysis removes some of that stuff)-although depending on the study parameters, sometimes they do a spit test instead of a bloodtest. Since I have no functioning kidneys, there can be no urine test.

Anyway, I am following the study guidelines, and if opiates show up in my system, they will just push my admit date back a few days. They always test for "drugs of abuse", but since I am prescribed the hydro, it's not an issue for them, it's just that it can't be in my system because of the antagonist properties of the Nubain they will be giving me.

I must say, though, that the Gabapentin seems to be really taking the edge off my withdrawals, which I am usually feeling by day three. In fact , I slept like a baby last night, no restless legs, no mood changes. Tonight will be the real test.

Last edited:
g.. but again, best of luck, man! how much that clinic paying? good $$ I bet.

Thanks! My admit date got moved ahead a couple weeks, so I should be clear by then. The Gabapentin works WONDERS. The study pays $3850.00 for a 14 night stay. I will be sequestered on the floor, to make sure I don't eat anything or do anything that could interfere with the study. Absolutely nothing to do but nap, watch TV, play around on my Ipad, and wait for my meals to be brought to me. Boredom is the biggest problem.

Hah, gun arson - I was like, outside of a Hollywood movie how do you start a fire with a gun? I'm a Swedish-American and my middle name is Gunnar :D

As for the drug test - drink LOTS of cranberry juice and exercise to speed up your metabolism. Other than that it's a toss up.

Regardless you're doing the right thing.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, being on dialysis and having no working kidneys, (it's not drug related, had problems since childhood)-I can't drink much fluid, since I don't pee at all, every drop of liquid stays in my system, and they have to remove it in dialysis. Exercise should be good though, maybe I can get some endorphins going again.

Hey GUN.. welcome to BL=D Nice work.. yes the sex drive will often ramp up.. sometimes to the point on ejaculation with little or no stimulation required.. si I would consider masterbatiing a few times.. this will relieve the build up and also should help a bit with the restless legs..

Hey GUN.. welcome to BL=D Nice work.. yes the sex drive will often ramp up.. sometimes to the point on ejaculation with little or no stimulation required.. si I would consider masterbatiing a few times.. this will relieve the build up and also should help a bit with the restless legs..

Thanks for having me!
Yeah, it really does help. I learned that pretty quickly during my last withdrawal episode, and fortunately, I've been a professional since the sixth grade!

That Gabapentin, however, really seems to help with the restless legs, and the sleep, and most every other WD so far, and it's kinda fun to feel as.... Vigorous, shall we say, as I do after a few days without opiates. Not to be indelicate, but it's really quite amazing to me how quickly and frequently I am "in the mood". I almost hope that it will diminish a bit as I recover, since I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing and go masturbate for 30 seconds every couple hours. I'm kinda on a hair-trigger suddenly. I suppose it's a good thing I'm not married. I would surely get dumped after a week or two of jumping on her like a monkey for 30 seconds every other hour.

Still, as I recall from my detox episode a few years ago, for that 30 seconds, there was NO pain, misery, or restless legs. It must be the endorphins.

Incidentally, I understand why orgasms are so relieving, particularly when one is going through withdrawals, but what I don't understand is why ones arousal level (and, perhaps it's different for women)-suddenly skyrockets? I mean, it doesn't just go back to normal, it's actually gone way, way up. Perhaps it's the body's way of encouraging behavior that will result in a flood of endorphins? Interesting....

As far as Wd's go, however, I suppose it's one of the better ones.

Last edited:
Absolutely the neurontin and then clonidine doses every four hours should be the gold standard for withdrawal IMO... maybe throw a benzo in at night and a SSRI and some tylenol and I think that is the most comfortable way to detox the fastest. With the use of those drugs detox isn't really that bad.. I mean it still sucks but its by no means like it is without. Congratulations your doing great. do you have a plan for the PAWS and staying clean?

Congratulations your doing great. do you have a plan for the PAWS and staying clean?

Thanks, Never!

Yes, I am absolutely amazed at how much the Gabapentin helps, and it's a med that I was already prescribed!

I currently have no plan to deal with the PAWS, I really don't know what to do about those. I suppose that exercise is a good idea, beyond that I just don't know.

I must confess, that since my admit date for the drug study was moved ahead by two weeks, I went back on the Hydrocodone yesterday for the pain in my hip and knee, since I still have to get around with the business of daily living.

My plan was to detox while in a hospital setting, mostly because I wouldn't have to move around, go up and down stairs, or even walk if I didn't feel like it; I'd be in the hospital for two weeks, and would be able to lay in bed if the hip/knee pain was too much (it only hurts when I put pressure in the joint).

At any rate, I'll be taking 15mg 2X a day for the next day, then tapering to 15mg, then 10 mg, 5mg, then nothing by this Friday, 5 days from now.

I am doing this because I must stop taking hydro one week before admit, although I have legitimate pain issues, which will be easier for me to address in a hospital with nothing to do.

I will continue with my detox/withdrawal report, including this hiccup, or extension...

Hi Never,

I'm doing great! For me, Gabapentin, Tylenol and a little Imodium seems to do the trick. I've updated my journal above.

very cool post here, man. although, we are missing out on the last few days.. everything is great.

lucky man getting off the opiates that easy!

best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Boston!

Gabapentin has helped immensely. Barely any wd's, and the ones I had were very mild. I would recommend the Neurontin to anyone going through wd's. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I am absolutely grateful for it.

I added the past few days, and I think my journal is over for now. I will add to it if anything changes.

Rock On!

Success-on-mountain.jpg

Congratulations GUN.. nice work.=D. Think there is amy chance of adding to that journal and showing us how we can stay clean and free?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.