• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How long must you be on a lower dose for the withdrawal to be less severe?

jjacobsen

Bluelighter
Hi you wonderful comrades against the drug war,

I am wondering how long one must be on a lower dose of heroin before withdrawing will be less severe. For example, if you're about 1g a day like me, and you want to withdraw like someone doing .5g/day, how long must you be doing .5g/day before the withdrawal correponds? 2 days? a week? a month? Thanks. For reference, i've been doing it for 1 year straight, about 4 months at 1g, sometimes less. Before that i did a year on and off. Thank you.

If you can taper down to that dose over the course of a week or so, you'll be in much better shape.

No matter what you work your way down to... You will experience less withdrawal regardless.

You will experience half of the withdrawal of 1.0 if you are at .5...

Those are the laws of how our body works with opiates...

Just be happy our body works with us just as much as you do...

I would say it will take however long it takes to stabilize on that lower dose, which is usually a 5-7 days, but longer if the dosage drop was quick.

I would say it will take however long it takes to stabilize on that lower dose, which is usually a 5-7 days, but longer if the dosage drop was quick.

Don't forget that the withdrawal is linear...

It is more to do with tolerance.

The more there is the more withdrawal there is.

OK- Dumb question....is it possible, however improbable it might be, to taper down to a point that you are no longer addicted? I'm talking physical addiction....I realize that psychological addiction is sometimes 1000 times greater (and the reason that many people relapse).

So- do you think it's possible to taper down slowly over a long period of time and get to the point where you no longer get sick when you don't have dope?

OK- Dumb question....is it possible, however improbable it might be, to taper down to a point that you are no longer addicted? I'm talking physical addiction....I realize that psychological addiction is sometimes 1000 times greater (and the reason that many people relapse).

So- do you think it's possible to taper down slowly over a long period of time and get to the point where you no longer get sick when you don't have dope?

Yes that is technically possible, but incredibly unlikely.

Yes that is technically possible, but incredibly unlikely.

I'm sure it is unlikely. I was just wondering if it were possible. I was discussing this with someone recently who thought that it was possible because they had quit smoking cigarettes this way. It would have to take tremendous willpower to accomplish I think....something that most junkies don't have.

Taper off for 2 weeks and I think you`ll be in better shape than someone doing up a half a day

It's amazing how more people don't do drastic tapers before they plan to withdraw, because the difference it makes is significant. However, I certainly understand why. When you're addicted to an opiate, tapering is usually harder than actually quitting. When you have the opiates in your possession, come hell or high water you're going to do them, and more often than not you're going to consume more than the day before, not less. Tapering is "unnatural" when you're in a psychological state of addiction. Hence, why it's so hard to do.

However, after many unsuccessful attempts at tapering over the ebb and flow of my own addiction (I always stopped with suboxone (and Kratom before my tolerance started getting out of control), but at high doses of full-agonist, it's not always super easy), I finally did a successful taper and I was ....STUNNED how effective it was. My most recent episode was about 240-300mg of Oxy per day, for about a month. I tried to go at it cold turkey, and I was so sick there was no possible chance of me making it through. Instead of reaching for the subs as I've done so many times before, based on circumstances at the time (was on vacation with X amount of Oxy left, no subs, and no access to anything other than what I brought), I tapered down to 120mg per day, in two daily doses, and sustained that for 5 days, then cold turkeyed. I can't even tell you how much less sick I was. Don't get me wrong, I was still extremely uncomfortable, but it was, in retrospect, as easy of a cold turkey as I've ever had. It felt at least less than half as severe as my initial attempt at cold turkeying, say, perhaps 1/3rd of the original magnitude.

Tapering works. The hardest part is sticking to it.

* To clarify, I would have never been able to stick to a taper unless I was in the situation I was in. I planned it that way. Long vacation with the wife as a way to force myself out of my habit. She knew what I was doing and was proud of me, so that helped. We were on a tropical island, so the surroundings also helped tremendously. I brought X amount of Oxy with me and knew I'd have no access to anything except codeine (which I never even bothered with) down there, so given the circumstances it was surprisingly easy to stick to the taper. I flew down still at about 300mg / day, and by the 5th day I had stopped with the last day's total at 120mg.

I managed to stay clean only for a month, but my current habit is much less severe (60-120mg / day) and I have plans to make another go at quitting.

Last edited: