• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Minor WD after 5 days of benzos, plausible?

Vieno

Greenlighter
I started to experiment with benzos five days ago and have since taken a total of 4,5mg (0,5-2mg/d) of alprazolam (Xanax). This has mostly just made me sleepy, I have no tolerance. So this morning I wake up after only four hours of sleep and couldn't fall asleep anymore even though I was tired. This never happens to me, I normally sleep for at least 8 hours without waking up. I also have had today a bit more of muscle twitches than normally. I'm not worried about anything because I can simply stop using right now (didn't take any today) and that way avoid further problems, but I'm wondering if this waking up and these muscle twitches could be a sign of benzo tolerance? This quickly??? I know benzo dependence is a very real issue but as far as I know, short term use shouldn't cause it. Is it plausible that I'm having a minor WD already? I'm puzzled.

Thx

Possible, plausible, but highly unlikely. That's not benzo withdrawal, that's the rebound effect.

No these are minor withdrawal symptoms. As I posted on a different thread a while back....

Xanax is also THE most fiendish drug I've ever tried. I can feel withdrawal symptoms, even after one use and due to this fact, I find it in no way fit for medical use as there is no way I could stop myself from using it everyday. Tolerance to benzo's builds up fast to begin with, but Xanax tolerance is a bitch. Again, tolerance rears it's ugly head after only one Xanax dose. Plus the euphoria from Xanax stops me from being able to do anything. I'll just lay on my bed, stare at the ceiling, have no thoughts, and just be like "Ahhhhh......this is the way people were meant to feel......."

Due to this fact, Ativan is way better for medical use.

It's extremely unlikely that only 5 days of benzo use for someone who has never been dependent on benzos before would lead to a physical addiction, even a minor one. What you're describing doesn't really sound like withdrawal either, more of just side effects from no longer using. You should feel a lot better in a day.

No these are minor withdrawal symptoms. As I posted on a different thread a while back....

Xanax is also THE most fiendish drug I've ever tried. I can feel withdrawal symptoms, even after one use and due to this fact, I find it in no way fit for medical use as there is no way I could stop myself from using it everyday. Tolerance to benzo's builds up fast to begin with, but Xanax tolerance is a bitch. Again, tolerance rears it's ugly head after only one Xanax dose. Plus the euphoria from Xanax stops me from being able to do anything. I'll just lay on my bed, stare at the ceiling, have no thoughts, and just be like "Ahhhhh......this is the way people were meant to feel......."

For you, SwampFox, for you. That doesn't mean there aren't millions of people who gain great therapeutic benefit from alprazolam.

this may be true for you, but broad generalisations like this are pure and simple bullshit. alprazolam works better for my anxiety than any other benzo save flunitrazepam, but good luck getting that scripted days.
as for the OP's question i'd also say those are rebound symptoms.

Maybe some minor rebound anxiety or insomnia, but yeah, by no means is lorazepam the best benzodiazepine, everyone reacts differently so don't make sweeping generalizations.

Hmm but isn't rebound a minor WD? Like, there's already some very small tolerance, it's just so small that it'll go away in a day or two and thus the WD doesn't last? Or is this rebound mediated by some different biological mechanisms than the actual WD?

I'm not worried about anything and I understand I'm definitely not dependent, I'm just curious if it is possible for benzos to cause noticeable changes in brain chemistry only after five days of use.

^Sure, anything is possible as everyone responds differently to psychotropic stimuli. If you are adding something that disrupts homeostasis within the brain you're bound to get upregulation, desensitization, downregulation, etc. All of which cause a rebound effect once the stimuli is removed and the brain attempts to revert back to a state of homeostasis. Now whether this is important or worth discussing is another matter, but that's the gist of it.