• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Inspirational Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

star*

Bluelighter
Hey,
Jus wondering if u guyz could help me out a bit. Im jus wanting 2 know tha names of sum good books that have really inspired u in ur life. I dont really read much at all but im hoping 2 change that. Ive heard of a book called 'The art of happiness' ....does any1 know who this iz by??
Ive been going thru a pretty rough time tha past couple of months so any names of books that have really helped u out & motivated u would b very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)
*sorry if this is tha wrong forum!!*

I'm not sure if this is the kinda book your after, but I would *highly* recommend it.
Jack Keroac - On the road.

If not now when? - Primo Levi (the truth & if this makes a man are also very good and can be got in one book)
The act of creation - Arthur Koestler
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

Thanx already 4 tha suggestions! :)
I found out tha author of "The art of happiness"
any1 else got a few other books i could look in2??

Assuming you're talking about fiction, these books have all inspired me (in very different ways):
The Lorax - Dr. Seuss
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
1984 - George Orwell
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
The Epileptic Bicycle - Edward Gorey
Not necessarly all "classics" or even "deep fiction," but all have influenced the way I think about life.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Mutant Message Down Under - Marlo Morgan

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
It's a bit of a bleak journey into the mind of a dark and twisted man, but its probably the greatest written account of a metaphorical journey into the mind of another human being.
The House of the Spirits - Isabella Allende
its a bit of a 100 Years of Solitude rip-off, but the later parts of the book set it apart as an epic struggle between the women of a rich family against an oppressive Latin American regime (it mirrors Chile a bit)
that's about all I got to add, I'd like to second suggestions made about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 1984 and in the same vein, read Brave New World, its worth it ;)

another fiction suggestion is "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. It's an easy read, buy it helped change my outlook on how "bad" my life really wasn't.

definitely with out a doubt Siddhartha. excellent book about a journey within one's self. at first i thought it would be like too "deep" for me, but it is a really easy read and brings out some excellent ideas.
Heart of Darkness is also an excellent read. you might want to get some cliff's notes or sparknotes off the internet though, to really get the full effect.
My personal #1 recommendation is The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maughum. (sp?) it is based on the life of Vincent Van Gogh, and encourages one to follow their heart, not society's standards, and the brings up the question of pleasing one's self, or pleasing others in your life. definitely pick that one up. also and easy read.
~
me

I could list for hours, but some of my top ones:
Red Earth and Pouring Rain by Vikram Chandra
Anthem by Ayn Rand
The diaries of Anais Nin
Any of the lectures on ethics/morality by Michel Foucault
Ender's Game
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Hey hate_the_game I'm just waiting for you to post in say something nice again now ;) .
I also should ahve put heart of darkness, luckily did it in English class, amazing when you study it on that level.
I've been interest in Somerset morgan for some time didn,t know where to start, do now :-D.
Further books to include:
Electronic acid kool aid test - Tom Wolfe, great writing style, interesting storyu about Ken Kesey (writer of one flew over the cucoos nest) and the merry prancsters

I don't know if this would be inspirational for everyone but Fight Club, the book, not the movie, really said a lot of good things to me when i read it.
Personally i like to think it's about not taking for granted those few perfect moments in your life, and learning to accept that perfection and happyness don't last forever, or even for very long. That, to me, is the nature of perfection.

Have you read survivor and invisible monsters they are both superb books to (same author - chuck palahaniuk (sp))

Child of Fortune... Norman Spinrad I think? Anyways, it's a really great book about finding your way in life :)
Jen

Thank u so so much everybody i really appreciate all tha suggestions so far uve all been a great help 2 me *hugz*
Luckily ive got a bit of time on my hands so hopefully i can get around 2 reading them all! Heehee
Thanx 2 u all :)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is a must read for everyone in the universe :)
Also, Frank Herbert's Dune series is phenomenal. It "inspired" me to do psychedelic drugs! Very, very philosophical and theological, especially when you get into the third and fourth books of the series.
If you are Christian or want a deep look into the whys of Christianity and life in general, check out C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity

My parents use to force me to read, I hated it. Then I boughtEnders Game at a book fair in 7th grade, and was reading a book a week for the rest of my school career. Definately a must read, it is the only reason I ever gave literature a chance again.
Neuromancer by William Gibson made me want to write. Still does.
Fragment of a Hologram Rose, short story by Gibson still gets to me. Gets read whenever I'm in that "Put on depressing music and sulk." sorta mood.
As She Climbed Across the Table by Johnathan Lethem. Great story about the interaction of men and women. Got me through a break-up. His other great book Gun with Occasional Music is just an awesome read, makes you think a little funny but is worth it. His short fiction collection Wall of the Sky, Wall of the Eye has a couple really haunting short storys. I love short stories, they can kinda show an authors development, when he finds his voice, etc.
Farenheight 451 well duh. Great book. Bad, bad, bad movie.
Anvil of Stars and Hammer of God by Greg Bear. He's just awesome. Not a happy sorta read, but very good.
Thats all I can think of now.
[ 10 July 2002: Message edited by: GentlemanLoser ]

Dagny, you are on my wavelength!
Anais Nin rocks, she inspired me no end at uni
(I did a writing course), and I still think her work is some of the most beautiful and erotic I've ever read ...
And the Narnia Chronicles! Of course. Who could forget that magic? Harry Potter doesn't even come close.
Sylvia Plath's work is also intriguing, although a bit darker; I love poetry.
And on an antipodean note, all Aussies really should read Thomas Kennealy's "The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith"... it's a ripper of a story and will really open your eyes about our early history.
Just for fun, John Marsden is great - he's meant to be a 'teenage' author but what the hell.
And anything by Sark - "Eat Mangoes Naked" and "A Creative Companion" etc. her picture books & words remind you to appreciate the simplicity & sensuality of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.