• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sober...but treated like crap by the doctors.

Percs

Greenlighter
I have been clean from everything 3 weeks (~90mg roxycodone per day / 2mg Kpin or Xanax). It was tough, lost my job, terrible anxiety (although now diagnose with ADHD), broke up with a long term girlfriend, but I feel great. I have the best job opportunity of my life and I'm only in my twenties. Things are for sure starting to look my way.

Fast forward to yesterday. Out boating with the family I was helping get the boat on the trailer and fell four feet and hit my back straight on some metal framing of a boat trailer. It hurt super bad but I toughed it out. Later that night there was a huge ass bruise, I couldn't sit or walk. I had a big gash from the metal I hit. It looked pretty bad and legitimately hurt like a mofo. Later that night I had bad tension in my shoulders...really bad and developed a migraine that kept me up all night while my back was killing me. I was vomiting and took some promethazine and even some ondansetron, to no avail. The light hurt my eyes so bad I couldn't see. I drove to the hospital, who probably pulled medical records and knew I talked to my doctor who helped me detox.

I get there and they give me an IV of ondansetron (Zofran), and a toradol shot, as well as norflex. I literally felt nothing and continued to sit there in anguish. She sent me home with muscle relaxers and told me to take tylenol. Nothing. I have to drive 6 hours to a job interview in a couple days and I'm suffering. I don't want to use but this sucks.

Still happy to be clean, and I do have someone reliable who would only give me them as needed. I can't sit down right :X

/rant

Sorry bro.. I've always been pretty scared of being injured now that I've gotten clean - because i know there's no way i could ever use painkillers responsibly. I just know it's not an option.

Honestly don't know what to tell you... Take a bunch of OTC crap and tough it out - or risk starting the cycle all over again. Those are really the only two choices...

You'd be surprised at how much people can take to avoid jeopardizing their recovery. I know a guy (personally) that snapped his fibia completely and managed to decline all pain medications other than 800mg of tylenol/ibuprofen. I really admire him for that, and as a result many of my reservations about returning to opiates in event of injury have been erased. Now, if it was a much more serious injury/surgery and a doctor that knew I was an addict suggested I take medications, perhaps. But I'll cross that road when I get there.

Sorry you had a bad time dude, I know it sucks ass to be judged and treated like shit by doctors who are supposed to be there to help you. Doctors are usually wary of addicts because they don't understand and addiction is taught much in med school. But like the people above said you'd be surprised how much pain you can handle without meds. But there is also no reason to have to go through any unnecessary suffering. If otc meds aren't cutting it and you truly are in more pain that you can handle (don't trick yourself) I would go to a different doc if I were you. If you do end up getting rx meds, it would be a good idea to let someone else trustworthy hold on to them and give them out as needed so you don't get tempted to abuse them.

^^ Definitely. I forgot to mention, that if you do end up truly needing narcotic pain meds - Don't trust yourself with them. Let a family member or someone else close to you hold onto them, and dispense them AS NEEDED. 5/225 percs 2 to 3 times/day as needed does not mean 3 percs a day - it means UP TO 3 ONLY if it's unbearable. Personally I would try to get through most of the day without it, then maybe take one at night to get some sleep. IF absolutely necessary.

I have been clean from everything 3 weeks =D nice work congratulations.. do you really want to go back because of a migraine or because you bumped your back?8( (~90mg roxycodone per day / 2mg Kpin or Xanax). It was tough, lost my job, terrible anxiety (although now diagnose with ADHD), broke up with a long term girlfriend, but I feel great. I have the best job opportunity of my life and I'm only in my twenties I cant think of a better way to look at this, recovery, or life=D. Things are for sure starting to look my way.

Fast forward to yesterday. Out boating with the family I was helping get the boat on the trailer and fell four feet and hit my back straight on some metal framing of a boat trailer. . rationalizing. not trying to cut you just strait the truth.. because addicts can spin the situation whatever way leads to their addiction.. besides IMO with this sort of injury NSAI are where its at.. especially at the insanely tender age of three weeks clean.. watch for this.. early on in recovery all drains lead to the sea.. the sea being getting back on opiates.. drs did you a favor if you choose to make it.. It hurt super bad but I toughed it out. Later that night there was a huge ass bruise, I couldn't sit or walk. I had a big gash from the metal I hit. It looked pretty bad and legitimately hurt like a mofo. Later that night I had bad tension in my shoulders...really bad and developed a migraine that kept me up all night while my back was killing me. I was vomiting and took some promethazine and even some ondansetron, to no avail. The light hurt my eyes so bad I couldn't see. I drove to the hospital, who probably pulled medicalrecords and knew I talked to my doctor who helped me detox.

I get there and they give me an IV of ondansetron (Zofran), and a toradol shot, as well as norflex. I literally felt nothing and continued to sit there in anguish. She sent me home with muscle relaxers and told me to take tylenol. Nothing. I have to drive 6 hours to a job interview in a couple days and I'm suffering. I don't want to use but this sucks.

Still happy to be clean, and I do have someone reliable who would only give me them as needed. I can't sit down right :X.. stick with this man he will help you get yourself to where you want to go

/rant

you can do this.. look at how many things in your life in early recovery insist you use.. yeah.. its nonsense. on the migrane here is where its at for many.. Medications include sumatriptan (Imitrex), rizatriptan (Maxalt), almotriptan (Axert), naratriptan (Amerge), zolmitriptan (Zomig), frovatriptan (Frova) and eletriptan (Relpax). Some triptans are available as nasal sprays and injections, in addition to tablets.

Last edited:
No for sure I recognize the difference between using etc, but my problem has just been sleep. I toss and turn and wake up. I can only take tylenol/aspirin which work fine but I have to keep the aspirin intake low. I wouldn't have even went to the doctor if the pain was bearable. Ice/hot have been my best friend along with the tylenol, but I still have a migraine despite all of those things. It's been like 2 days, and I'm still throwing up and have a nasty bruise the size of a basketball. Toughing it out sounds great I just which I could sleep. It would take ~20-30mg roxycodone in one dose to give me a buzz. A 5mg vicodin or even a low does tramadol to sleep would be awesome, as I have to work. I hate migraines.

the most i slept for five months coming off benzos and opiates was five hours.. to tell you the truth the majority of nights i still sleep around five hours.. though after around five months I was able to sleep ten hours a couple times a month.. but a major positive i found was that i was able to function better after four hours of sleep sober than i was able to after ten hours while i used.. OH and i drink caffeine as a defense against my addictive drive and the fact that i like the way it makes me feel.. if you remember to give yourself a little time.. just a little patience and realize you dont need all that sleep anymore.. you are doing great... just hang in there and find out what you need to do to make your life peaceful<3

Damn, I know what you mean. I went to detox/treatment for 30 days and stopped alcohol and benzos. Before this I started having increasing pain in my back and after I had the same pain plus increasing numbness/tingling/pain in my feet and hands. My doc of over 20 years retired and I had to find a new one. I told him from the first appointment that I gotten out of treatment/detox two week before. After MANY appointments with rheumatologists, neurologists, pain physicians, podiatrist, MRI, x-rays and 1 1/2 years later I can tell you most of them saw my recent treatment and immediately wrote me off and clearly assumed I was med seeking. My life has become nearly completely inactive due to big discomfort and pain. Despite that, I feel better than I have in years, as crazy as that may sound. I'm 63 y.o. and guess this will be my life from now on. Arthritis, spinal stenosis and neuropathy. It sucks big time, but I think I can deal with it far better than if I was still using. Stick with it!

gerry

^It is really sad that you chose to be honest and doctors didn't 1) congratulate you for doing that and 2) work with you transparently. I have no problem with doctors being afraid that people are drug-seeking. Lots of people are! Bluelight is full of threads from people asking how to do it and doctors feel legitimately manipulated by that plus the good ones do not want to contribute to anyone's addiction. That being said, there is also a lot of prejudice and stigma and that is hard to take when you are going to the doctor for pain.

I would definitely not rule out going to a naturopath, accupunturist or chiropractor. Alternatives to traditional western medicine can be truly helpful and they do not rely on opiates for pain management.

To the OP: if you still have that headache and are vomiting days later you may have a head injury as well--you should go back and get that checked out!

Went back today and saw a new doctor found out I have a concussion and DID infact fracture my tailbone, most tailbones are only bruised. I was totally transparent like I insist on being with doctors and this one admired my honesty and drive. He gave me 30x50mg Tramadol, and my fiancee will be holding them, and I can only take them to sleep. I don't want to catch a buzz, I want to sleep. And that's exactly what I told the doctor. My fiancee will allow me 1 a day as she is being very strict on me during this time.

EDIT: And thanks for everyones support and different views here, I appreciate the insight more than you know.

You'd be surprised at how much people can take to avoid jeopardizing their recovery. I know a guy (personally) that snapped his fibia completely and managed to decline all pain medications other than 800mg of tylenol/ibuprofen. I really admire him for that, and as a result many of my reservations about returning to opiates in event of injury have been erased. Now, if it was a much more serious injury/surgery and a doctor that knew I was an addict suggested I take medications, perhaps. But I'll cross that road when I get there.

Thats fucking stupid. Painkillers have legit medical uses. Taking a lortab when you fuck yourself up is not a relapse.

Thats fucking stupid. Painkillers have legit medical uses. Taking a lortab when you fuck yourself up is not a relapse.

Huh. I was under the impression that I was speaking for myself. I'm sure there are plenty of people that can do that, and I even suggested it was a decision that I have considered for my future. Under medical supervision/while following a doctors advice, painkillers obviously have a purpose. Projecting much?

@ crimson.. i know percs has so much "sober time" under his belt at 1814400 seconds.. but really when I look at it in terms of three weeks clean, including detox, I cant help but say it is a relapse.. a broken tail bone does hurt, I have had one, and still do.. as it doesn't heal.. but i dont think it is going to hurt as much as the most likely outcome of the decision that percs made.. I really hope I am completely wrong and look forward to percs posting just how wrong I am<3.. Yes pain killers have a purpose and should be taken as needed.. but taking that crap pain killer tramadol three short weeks after the last dose of oxy was IMO a very brave thing to do.. but its perks decision as its perks call.. one thing to think about though is in that short of time almost none of perks receptors have really shut down if he was on the oxy for any length of time.. and getting off a tramadol physical dependence is worse than oxy i have heard.. best of luck perks and please let us know how this turns out.

Thanks. I, too, do not blame the docs for being wary of med-seeking patients. I worked in mental health for many years and saw a lot of it. Acupuncture is on my to-do list. Tried it in the past and it worked well. My chief beef with the docs has been that none of them have stepped up and outright acknowledged my recovery, the limits that may place on them (as they see it) and then move on. It's like the elephant in the room, despite the fact that I am very upfront with it. Finally last week, the podiatrist did and I thanked him. I told him I was not looking for anything other than some nonaddictive relief but I felt reassured that if all tries fail, he would work with me.

doctors are generally so trigger happy about writing out scripts....that's how they make their money, after all... if you are clean, and want to stay clean... try to look at it this way.... be happy you don't have a doctor who is prone to potential med seeking... most don't care.... and/or are only too happy to oblige... or even push it on you....

meds/opiates/narcotics are a huge trigger to many people, believe it or not, or know it for yourself yet or not...

Fortunately, I have not found those docs. If anything, the ones I have appear to be much the opposite. I am thankful for that. But I am also glad there is one who understands that and will take my recovery into consideration, but also not have it define me.

My hope is that Percs gets some relief from the tramodal, but no euphoria. I have been on tramodal in the past and did not find it to provide any of the euphoria that oxy does. I know everyone is different. Just throwing in my experience.

Good to see you TooYoung:).. This is a good point.. not only did i not get a euphoria but it made me feel pretty lousy.. the tramadol that is.

Good to see you TooYoung:).. This is a good point.. not only did i not get a euphoria but it made me feel pretty lousy.. the tramadol that is.

tramadol is the devil. but maybe i think that just because i am allergic to it.

-----------

how are you doing Percs?