• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Government approved "shooting galleries" to open in Canada

BA

Bluelight Crew
The federal health minister, we learned last weekend, has been quietly preparing a plan to open government-approved "shooting galleries" where addicts can go to use the drugs they buy. She'll go public soon, and the first of the sites would be open within a year. Ms. McLellan, like many other well-intentioned people deeply concerned about the dreadful human toll of drug addiction, has somehow managed to remain painfully unclear on the concept.
A real solution to the heroin problem - insofar as one is possible at all - will not be found in providing "safe injection sites," as the government jargon calls them. The idea behind these places seems at first glance quite sensible: minimizing the human damage that comes from shared needles and other squalid conditions of the addict life, while getting the addicted into contact with medical and social workers. But by exactly the same logic the government should also move boldly forward and provide the heroin itself, for free: after all, why let addicts take a chance with unpredictable street purity and dangerous "cut" powders when you can provide "safe injection substance?" And free heroin would also prevent all the crime which addicts commit to get the money for their drugs.
Well, the problem demands more than sarcasm. And certainly it demands better than the status quo, which is simply not tolerable: Vancouver is generally reputed to have Canada's worst heroin crisis (although other cities may not be many years behind): 23 per cent of intravenous users of illegal drugs in Vancouver are now HIV-positive, the Vancouver Sun reports. The police and courts there seem to have given up: trafficking sentences, when anyone bothers to lay charges, average less than 60 days in jail. Nobody knows how many addicts there are, in Vancouver or nation-wide, but even countless too-early deaths don't seem to be reducing the total numbers.
More vigorous law enforcement on the supply side would certainly help, and we don't understand why the justice system is so relaxed about this scourge. But on the demand side, the heroin crisis is better understood as a public-health matter than as a crime wave.
Legalizing shooting galleries is the easy way out. Significantly, the McLellan Shooting Galleries - as they should be called - involve not one dollar of federal money. There would, under the minister's plan, be simply a federal undertaking to look the other way, or perhaps amend the Criminal Code if necessary. Provinces and municipalities would set up these facilities and pay the bills.
There is an alternate approach worth trying, we believe. We would like to see Ms. McLellan support it, and back it with serious federal money. This approach would cost much more than the McLellan Galleries, and be more complicated, and take time. It is, simply, greatly expanded social-work efforts plus more input from both the justice system and public-health officials, all with the goal of rescuing addicts, one by one, from the trap they're in. This would demand more social-workers, more halfway houses and other residential facilities, more housing subsidies, specialized medical facilities, closer monitoring of individuals, deeper involvement in the lives of addicts.
Not a panacea, we know. But at least a solution along these general lines would offer some hope of keeping heroin out of the veins of our vulnerable neighbours who need help. That's a lot better than a solution designed to get heroin into these poor people.
Pubdate: Nov.12, 2002
News Link

"Shooting Galleries"
merely a cheap-ass way 2 look like the government is doin sumthin about the heoin crisis !!
Probly give them more of an incentive to keep on the drugs !!
There will always be a problem aslong as herion is available!

If anyone has ever been to vancouver and walked downtown, then you would know the extent of the problem. Seriously, I've been there and I have never seen more junkies in my entire life. They shoot up in broad daylight. I have a picture of a sign outside of a hotel that reads:
"rooms for rent: crackheads and junkies need not apply" I'll try and post it sometime.
I walked down one alley, which i refer to as crack alley, during mid afternoon and there were literally 100 or so crackheads and junkies openly smoking crack or tapping up. It was one of the most disguisting sites that I have even witnesses, but it was defintely an eye opener. Vancouver is such a beautiful city despite the vast amount of junkies.
Maybe this shooting gallery idea is worth a shot (no pud intended). It seems that Canadians are much less restrictive about drug use than in the US. They have more important issues to worry about such as violence and other real crimes. Its at least worth a try. It a liberal idea that might prove successful or might not. Who will ever know unless they at least give it a whirl?

Wow! This could have been Canberra, if the community that closed this wasn't made up of old religious hardheads...
Props to Canada, the first step on repairing the damage done by the "war" on drugs.

Chemicalistic: Thats a really dense way to look at the problem.
As long as there are people wanting the drug there will be a supply of it. If there are shooting galleries then at least the people can seek help openly and with little fear if they want it.
-----------------
Get to the chopper!

I agree totally.. i'd say that i don't really think these "shooting galleries" will solve any problem with the actual addiction.. maybe if the heroin usage was controlled.. stepped down maybe over time for an individual... and replaced by ibogaine(sp?).. i mean hopefully research with this medicine could continue in a more in depth fassion while these galleries are in..
As for Canada "giving up" on trying to control drugs.. i'd say that's the better way.. we americans seem to keep things in bounds a little bit.. sure we have a problem... the problem is amplified by the fact that we punish the users so harshly.. treat them as criminals..
to me.. if i were to be child growin up in vancouver, and see all the junkies.. i would never go down that road.. here, our rockers do it.. and alot of them get by.. they're glamorized.. and we're told not to do it.. and we see the punishments of doing it.. and we do it alot for that reason.. to be rebellious.. there.. there's no need to be.. let them fuck themselves up.. they'll be an example of what you don't want to live as.. seeing that many people fucked up on a drug is all the education you'd need..

I agree with the original article, that addicts should be given pure, regulated doses free. Whats the point in shooting galleries if theusers there are still using their contaminated street supplies and still committing crime to pay for dirty and expensive skag.....?
Of course I also agree that it's a start !

I agree with the idea. I'll even go as far to say that I even agree with the idea of having more social workers, halfway houses, etc...More input from the justice system, as opposed to more action by the justice system.
They'll probably saturate these shooting galleries with social workers and others trying the save the junkie. Maybe some will see a light. Maybe some will not want to hear the message and rather than have someone patronizing them, will continue shooting up on the street.
All in all though, I'd have to say, it's a hell of a lot better than how the US handles the problem they created.

Originally posted by danyool:
If anyone has ever been to vancouver and walked downtown, then you would know the extent of the problem. Seriously, I've been there and I have never seen more junkies in my entire life. They shoot up in broad daylight. I have a picture of a sign outside of a hotel that reads:
"rooms for rent: crackheads and junkies need not apply" I'll try and post it sometime.
I walked down one alley, which i refer to as crack alley, during mid afternoon and there were literally 100 or so crackheads and junkies openly smoking crack or tapping up. It was one of the most disguisting sites that I have even witnesses, but it was defintely an eye opener. Vancouver is such a beautiful city despite the vast amount of junkies.
Maybe this shooting gallery idea is worth a shot (no pud intended). It seems that Canadians are much less restrictive about drug use than in the US. They have more important issues to worry about such as violence and other real crimes. Its at least worth a try. It a liberal idea that might prove successful or might not. Who will ever know unless they at least give it a whirl?

So, what makes Vancouver so special out of the rest of canada ? Haven't seen much of crack alleys in toronto....

Originally posted by danyool:

So, what makes Vancouver so special out of the rest of canada ? Haven't seen much of crack alleys in toronto....

they've been doing this for years in Amsterdamn, this is just one more step for Vancouver to turn into Amsterdamn.... otherwise known as VANSTERDAM!

All i have to say is that the canadain goverment has a lotta balls to be doing this. For that they get my full respect. Allowing junkies to do what they do safley and without charges being laid against them is a big step. Instead of treating the problem as a criminal one they've finally reallized it's a SOCIAL PROBLEM. I love being Canadain (not that i'm a junkie hehe)
Now once they legalize Bud, We'll be a becon of light for all the burn outs and druggies in North America!

So, what makes Vancouver so special out of the rest of canada?
Well, it has among the largest, busiest needle
exchange programs in the world. Also, i'm not too sure on the specifics, but the exchange programs held in cities across canada are run independently. Different methods have different impacts on the addicts who come in. In toronto, HIV is below 10% in injection drug users. However, in Vancouver, HIV and Hep C has risen.
Even when my parents went there for a visit, they spotted ppl shooting up on the street. I haven't even seen that once here in T.O. I am in no way stating that one city is better over another, i'm just stating that the problem is very real and prevalent.
Hopefully the Federal Health minister can find a method that helps instead of harms further. There are some very interested eyes south of the border who will want to see how this plays out.

There will always be a problem aslong as herion is available!
That's a nice, idealistic approach. Get all the dealers and heroin off the streets, then let everybody go into withdrawal, and a few weeks later, WHAM, everything is cool again.
That's simply not practical, feasible, or even possible. The only way a government could totally cut off the supply of a drug would be taking away so many rights and freedoms. What are ya gonna do? Strip search everyone daily?some will still sneak in up people's asses. Then what? Does the government then get to cavity search every person within the nations borders every day, just to make sure nothing is slipping through?
If there is demand, there will be supply, the government here in the U.S. has been trying pretty hard to disprove that statement, but they have yet to be succesful. But then I have a bad attitude about it. The fucking DEA put my best friend in prison for 7 years for selling Ecstacy, and he wasn't even a dealer. He was just trying to help somebody out because he thought he was his friend.
Back on topic though, these "Galleries" won't solve the problem, but it IS a step in the right direction! I give it the Big Andy seal of approval.

I agree with the original article. Allowing addicts to be exposed to positive and constructive environments is an essential step in the right direction. Give everyone a fair chance to be free from addiction instead of the government hunting them down and being shunned from "society". Giving them heroin is a great idea in that it would: reduce deaths dramatically from cut heroin, give them a chance to accumulate a steady income, and cut crime across the city. The solution would in no way be to merely ignore the fact that they are getting it illegally and let that shit persist.
I'm all for it.
go Canada!

this might sound dumb...but where the heck do these people get the needles. they should just put strict ass restrictions on that, then junkies cant shoot up...i mean the whole concept of drug legalization, is to have better control....they should use that concept on needles...haha

Chris Rock said something like that concerning bullets and guns, as opposed to needles and heroin. He's like, "Just charge ten thousand dollars for a bullet. If somebody gets shot, I mean, you know he did somethin!"
Anyway, is there going to be smoking allowed in these 'shooting galleries?
If not, that's pretty whack.
isn't crack a more destructive drug numerically than heroin?

Controlling the needles would just help spread AIDs, the junkies would be forced to share needles seeing as how there would be a limited supply. It may sound kinda funny but i don't think that's much of a solution. There is no solution, but i think these "Shooting Galleries" will just ensure its done safely. Which is a step in the right direction...