• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

41 days clean...no energy

BackSeatSuicide

Bluelighter
After about 5yrs of taking opiates (morphine, oxycodone, oxycontin) I finally now have 41 days clean. I feel good as far as sleeping, eating and no urges to use but I just can't seem to find any energy. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long that will last and if there is anything (besides energy drinks lol) that I can do to help recover that energy I used to have. I am only 26 so I know its still there somewhere. Maybe some vitamins/supplements someone can recommend or any other ways to help with this.

I feel the same way. I'm not at 41 days yet, but I am at 2 weeks off opiates. Man it sucks. My problem is over-sleeping, I do it every single day for about the past month now. And since I'm not working, its not like some little miniscule over-sleeping problem I have, its like up all night sleep all day till 2pm at the least.

I want to have a normal schedule back so bad. I feel kind of insane being 24 years old and acting like I'm on some kind of summer vacation of a 12 year old. I just want to be a normal person who sleeps when it is dark and gets up when the sun comes up.

OP, I don't know. Are you a smoker? Cigs can make energy levels drop even more. I guess I just haven't gotten as far along as you, and we are all different in our recovery. I don't notice a lack of energy so much as a lack of enthusiasm. Can you relate to that? Btw love the fox hound pic, I am a huge Metal Gear fan.

I hear you guys because I havn't been to the pain doc since June 2011. So actually, it's been 23 months off opiate pain medicine for me. I think about this lack of energy a lot lately and I wonder if I will ever get my "zest for life" back.

My friend used to tell me the oxycodone would give you false energy. At the time I was using them, I had no trouble working full time going to school and taking care of my son. Now I think she's got a point but it could be a combination of things. I got real thin from 2003-2009 ish. When my doctor weaned my off to hydros the weight came back. My eating habits were never big to start with.

I tried multi-vitamins, acupuncture and taking walks so I don't get sedentary but can't seem to get myself going the way I should. When the back pain flares up, I have to sit down because of pressure of my hips and it hits suddenly. I was dual-diagnosed addiction plus depression so I think that plays a big role too, besides me becoming a fatty. Ozekat, I smoke too which could be zapping my energy, I never thought of that.

I hear you loud and clear, Calderone. I was going to an MMA gym back in like jan-feb earlier this year. It helped me get energy back like nothing else, but I was still using oxy then so I can't really say how much it helped maintain higher energy levels or whatever. Like I have said on another thread though, as long as we have proper amounts of nutrients in our bodies Sunlight is a huuuuuuge energy booster for me!!!

I remember seeing this great video about how the gov't actually makes up a bunch of shit (really?!) about how sunlight gives you cancer and we should all wear sunblock and yadda-yadda.....point is we NEED sunlight just like plants and animals and that the LIGHT is good for us! But we are brainwashed into taking their shitty manufactured food/drugs and staying hidden away from the sun. Honestly if you think about it a little its not a crack-pot conspiracy and has some good points. When we have the nutrients we need in our bodies, we won't get as easily sun burned and/or damaged by UV rays. Its all about nutrients and being healthy.

Of course when one is poor its difficult to maintain a healthy diet, but I'm learning a lot about life here lately, especially since I have been off the king of drugs.

Hey BackSS, congratulations on getting off the opiates.. You are experiencing really common phenomenon.. have you looked up PAWS.. as with all the many of the other symptoms above.. you can usually take a big chunk out of all these symptoms by attempting to keep your dopamine levels up as high a possible.. exercise 11 22 33, meditation 11 22, sex, salty or sweet or fatty foods (a package of small candies that are salty sweet and fatty over the day can go a long way.. the reserch shows that the dopanie realeas happens rite as we eat the first couple bites so one or two small candies through out the day can really help.. resse3s penut butter cups, chocolate also gives you a dopamine realses, cafine (Im always rolling on a tripple espresso or a a monster), hugs the feeling of acceptance and acomplishment, problem solving, any activity that allows you to loose yoursem=nse of time.. and your thoughts, your thoughts determine the chemical relaese in your brain, you control you thoughts, so you in essence determine how you feel.. just getting off drugs doesn't give an amzing life, we still have to go get that life, and as so much of life is out of our control, but the way wer percieve these parts of life is, life is how we percieve it and we choose how we do that.. also the symtoms of paws ussually calm down a allot after seven months.. but can last oi life time, but sitting round felling low wont ever get you back up.. congradulations again<3

>here< is a great blog about paws.. please look at it.

>here< is a thread on chemicals and supplements that may have to do with neuro regeneration and plasticity..

Last edited:
I find that exercise really helps. It will be hard a first but u have to gradually increase the intensity. Weight training and cardio help to increase those endorphins.

Motivation is the key. Don't think about how it will suck but think about how will feel afterwards. It seemed for me that while I was using opiates and not working out that my body became extremely weak.

Since you are newly clean, it will probably take a way to get your energy back, but exercising will speed it up.

Congrats on the clean time! Best not to focus in on things like when will my energy come back, just know that it will. The sooner you canget active again dong things the better. For me it came in waves. It helped to force myself to exercise, as has been mentioned. Best cure possible, eat rigt and exercise.