• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help with Methadone!!! Please reply!!

Alikat

Bluelighter
I've been an IV heroin addict for a few years... Last October I got on a methadone program. I moved across country to do this. At first it was going great... Then loneliness crept in and so did relapse. Now I feel so trapped by these"liquid handcuffs" that it's as confining as doin dope. I'm really wanting to get off but fearing relapse. Also what is the best way to kick methadone? Cold turkey? Or Taper? I take 60mg daily and have been on for about 7 months.... Any advice???!?! Please??!? I haven't had much luck with getting responses ! I don't know many people here n have very few people to talk to about my addiction n would really appreciate feedback! Thanks :)

never been hooked on methadone but i hear w/ds are some of the worst. taper or its gonna be hell.

someone else can help you better but if it was me id taper down to like 5 mgs and then hop on subs but only do them short term.

You should definitely taper down. I forgot the usual protocol but I think it's something like dropping 10mg a week, then 5mg a week once you get to 20mg.

never been hooked on methadone but i hear w/ds are some of the worst. taper or its gonna be hell.

someone else can help you better but if it was me id taper down to like 5 mgs and then hop on subs but only do them short term.

The problem with switching to subs is that you have to wait 3 days or so since your last dose of methadone before taking the suboxone, due to the long half-life of methadone making precipitated withdrawals a very real possibility. That's why people will usually switch to a short acting opioid for a week or two between stopping the methadone and starting the suboxone, so in a lot of cases it's not worth it to switch over.

Wow, definitely do not just stop taking Methadone at your dose. You'll be in utter hell. Taper down, definitely.

I would definetly taper down. Maybe 10mg every two days till you reach 30mg and then you could go down 5mg every second day till zero. Thats how my mate did it. Just stop taking it will be worse and longer then quitting Heroin!

You should definitely taper down. I forgot the usual protocol but I think it's something like dropping 10mg a week, then 5mg a week once you get to 20mg.

The problem with switching to subs is that you have to wait 3 days or so since your last dose of methadone before taking the suboxone, due to the long half-life of methadone making precipitated withdrawals a very real possibility. That's why people will usually switch to a short acting opioid for a week or two between stopping the methadone and starting the suboxone, so in a lot of cases it's not worth it to switch over.
i forgot about precipitated withdraw, that would be miserable. 3 days would be horrible even if you could hop on subs after.

JUmp right off, I jumped on way more than that and made it, talk to your doctor about clonidine and a drug for restless leg syndrome, but before you do this you should set up a support network and identify and address the reason you still desire to use.. you can do it.. I know because I did, and if I can ANYONE can<3

before you do this you should set up a support network and identify and address the reason you still desire to use..

This is important. You need to make major changes to the way you think and to your life if you want to succeed in getting off methadone, regardless of whether you decide to taper it or stop abruptly with the use of non-opioid meds.

As someone who went the "extremely slow gradual taper" route I can't recommend that, it really just prolonged the suffering and put my mind and body under stress for a long time, which I think has done me some damage, BUT I was on methadone for a very long time, and some people are able to taper with less pain and withdrawals than I had so YMMV. But I also wouldn't advise just going from 60mg/day to zero either. You need to find the best plan for you as an individual and I can't stress enough how important the psychological stuff is: finding some kind of help or support system, working on the reasons you used heroin, learning how to cope with anxiety, depression, pain, cravings and withdrawal symptoms without feeling like you HAVE to use something to make it go away, etc. Work on this ASAP and don't sit around on methadone for a decade thinking this shit will fix itself :)

Taper for sure. Do it at a comfortable rate but not so slow u draw it out unnecesarily. I'm on mmt also and hate how I can't go anywhere w/out planning for it. I'm going to taper so I can get on bupe. But that's b/c I'm not ready to get off maintanance opi's. If youu are that's great. If u just want more freedom, think about getting on bupe. I was on it for 3 years b4 I relapsed and wish I had gone back on it instead of mmt now

Thank you for all the help!!!! I did go 3 days without dosing due to poor travel plans n it was miserable but I have a feeling the worst had yet to come :( my bf is very pro cold turkey n hates that I got on the MMT . But withdrawal scares me so much. I detoxes cold turkey from heroin, hated it n ran right back to using. What gets me the worst is the joylessness I feel after w/d. Nothing smells , taste, or feels good . Leads me back to H everytime. Any advice on this?? I'm for sure gonna keep up the counseling, right now I do group 5 times a week. I'm glad I got some back up on the tapering idea! Thanks everyone !!!

What gets me the worst is the joylessness I feel after w/d. Nothing smells , taste, or feels good . Leads me back to H everytime. Any advice on this?? I'm for sure gonna keep up the counseling, right now I do group 5 times a week. I'm glad I got some back up on the tapering idea! Thanks everyone !!!

You just have to give it time. You didn't get addicted overnight so you aren't going to get better overnight. People often expect to be all better two weeks after quitting a 2 year habit, but it takes time for your brain to get used to operating without the drugs in there.