Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif [/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif [/img]

• Total voters

Righty1776

Bluelighter
Just wanted to know what anybody thought about this. I just got back from it and i thought it was pretty good. Probably wouldn't watch it again though. Just one of those flicks u only need to see once.

I saw it last night. I thought it was a great movie, but i agree that it's one that i'll only see once. Daniel Day Lewis was fuckin great, and i didn't even mind Leonardo this time. The sets were awsome. The thing i liked the most was that it wasn't a "hollywood-ized" version of history. It was historically accurate without all the bullshit you see in other movies. The shot that had the most impact on me was when you see the new immigrants coming off the boat, the soldiers getting back on the boats to go to war, then the coffins coming back from the war all at the same time. brilliant. only complaint was that it was slow and tedious at some parts in the middle. 4 out of 5 stars.

This was a big disappointment. Yes, Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant, but Leo and Cameron were awful. Despite the fact that the film cost $100 million, it only used a handful of shoddy sets.
The writing was trite, and some scenes (like the one praised above) made me laugh at how obvious and elementary school level they were.
I was hoping for something highbrow, but the movie pandered to idiots. There were memory flashbacks every five mintues or so, so that morons wouldn't forget which characters were which.
Also, 16 years pass by and everything/one looks exactly the same? A knife is buried for 16 years and doesn't rust?
They could have cut an hour of bloated waste easily. It was rather pointless, the plot was too slow to develop and WAY to predictable.
The token woman & Black person were offensive.
And worst of all, the scene at the end with the World Trade Center was ridiculous and disgusting.

Daniel Day Lewis was very good. Thats about all the good I can muster about this garbage dump. First off, I hate this movie for the same reasons I hated Gladiator. Simple revenge plots blow and DiCaprio was not the right actor for that part. Really what was the point of the film? It really struggled with making that clear. It poorly focused on several issues: (revenge, immigration, civil war, racism).
I almost became physically ill from the gratuitous violence and all the racial sluring in the film. That's actually a plus though. If a film can almost bring me to vomitous, at least its doing something.
Trancendance~ I don't think I've ever agreed with one of your posts more :) Spot on.
And worst of all, the scene at the end with the World Trade Center was ridiculous and disgusting
for real wtf was that **thumbs down**
[ 21 February 2003: Message edited by: cravNbeets ]

Martin Scorsese is definately one of my favourite directors of all time. The character developement in the film is amazing, though he takes his time in this area it really pays off in the end.
Daniel Day Lewis should most DEFINATELY recieve an OSCAR for this performance, as I really was STUNNED and now believe him to be one of the best actors in the world easily!
What can I say, 2 thumbs up! Daniel Day Lewis definately the highlight, overall a good movie!

100 million isn't that much when you're building all of your sets from scratch.

Scorcese is the man, but personally I think he needs to stick with Italians. Oh, wait, Diaz...DiCaprio??? = (

Originally posted by Trancendance:
And worst of all, the scene at the end with the World Trade Center was ridiculous and disgusting.
i'm interested in your choice of words and to hear you expand on that - why do you think it was "disgusting"?
thanks for your comments
alasdair

i guess one man's "Morally repugnant, a gratuitous exploitation of the victims, etc." is another's cinematic tribute, homage, etc.?
alasdair

i personally really enjoyed this film. didn't find it boring or trite or anything.
2 thumbs up from me. daniel day lewis... gold.
CB.

Awesome movie!

I just finished watching it 10 minutes ago. I thought Leo Dicaprio played an excellent part, as did Daniel Day Lewis (probably better than Leo). I wish the story would've just stuck with the boy trying to avenge his fathers death, that alone would have made a cool plot. But I suppose the whole government breaking things up shows one "gangs" superiority over another.

Good movie, definitely recommended. It's long, be warned- 167 minutes.

...a gratuitous exploitation of the victims

I don't think they put that in to disgust people and offend victims... more a chance to show the history of the city. It was done tactfully - just a couple of seconds of the buildings... they could have done it so much worse.

It's been almost two years now... it's time to stop getting offended everytime someone mentions it.

Nexus One said:
It's been almost two years now... it's time to stop getting offended everytime someone mentions it.

i agree. it happened. pretending it somehow didn't happen does the entire issue a disservice.

alasdair

What are you talking about? That was the best bit of an absolutely crap movie. I love the NY skyline especially before 9/11. Seriously there was a lot of eye candy in the movie that kept me watching especially Diaz, but that was about it.

I only saw this recently, and I have to say, there's very little to recomment it... the sets are artificial and badly lit... it makes them look like a stage set. It's shot on much too hi-res film... a little graininess would have lent more authenticity to it. The acting is reasonable, but when put up against a giant like Day Lewis, very few actors will shine. Both DiCaprio and Diaz are good actors (Diaz, more so) but beside Day Lewis, they look like amateurs. Much of the story/script is glorified and cheesey... too much hero/revenge bollox and not enough petty criminality.

Amazing how Scorsese is capable of genius like Goodfellas, and yet can make something like this with so many holes.

NecroTrance said:
Scorcese is the man, but personally I think he needs to stick with Italians. Oh, wait, Diaz...DiCaprio??? = (

Cameron Diaz is hispanic I thought????

rented last night, haven't seen yet, will edit this with comments when i do