• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Movies to watch with the sound off

chrissie

Bluelight Crew
What movies stand alone well without sound?
Im having a party and would like to project things on the wall...
So what movies are visually outstanding on their own

well this may be a gay choice :) but i always liked crouching tiger, hidden dragon for that.. plus it has subtitles if ya want em. i just love the scenery in that movie..

I don't know if it's even available in America but the Super Furry Animals album 'Rings Around The World' was released over here in the UK on DVD as well as on CD. They basically gave 13 directors £5000 each to make a video for each of the tracks.
There's abstract animation, photo montage, live action, character animation and computer animation to name but a few... it's amazing to watch with the sound or without.
Other movies... um... I always remember the time I saw Apocalypse Now projected behind a band I saw in a pub a few years ago. Cliche maybe but it's fucking cool when your off your face watching the Ride of the Valkyres bit.
More:
Evil Dead 2 (just to watch reactions :D )
Akira (or other Anime..)
Amelie (all peaceful n' green and whatnot...)
Monsters Inc (pwreety cwolours!)
It all depends on the sort of party really... :)

mmm....fantasia? you could even just turn the music down a bit, if you'd like.
and ummm.....a space oddyssey?

i friend of mine doscivere dthat Moby's 'I like to score' album makes a fine alternative soundtrack for 'Koyaanisqatsi'
just start the CD as the red letters appear on the screen.
alasdair
(this is not Oz+Dark Side...)

'5 Summer Stories' has a nice 70's North Shore surfing / skating vibe. You know, handstands on skateboards with afros going around pylons, old skool pipeline footage of bowl-cutted 70's soul-surfers in halcyon celluloid grain. Country style bikinis. Overall, it makes a good side conversation piece.

yup, Koyaanisqatsi or Baraka would be nice, as you don't need the music to go with it...however the music is pretty chill itself and wouldn't interfere
:)

You'd be crazy not to put on Saturday Night Fever.... and if you were feeling very very clever you could time the background music to come on at the right time for the "AH AH AH AH STAYIN ALIVE STAYIN ALIVE!!"
Hmm. That was a joke btw...
When I went to see The Dandy Warhols in London, they had scenes out of Easy Rider on their projectors in the show. Just the shots of them driving down the roads on their bikes. Looked very cool. But the best suggestion I can think of, if you can get it is "Head", the Monkees movie. Its not like the episodes, its a crazy psychedelic film full of complete random scenes and they look amazing! Doesn't matter if you don't have the sound, because the film doesn't make any sense anyway :)

Hmm, I don't know if they would gel exactly with the chill-vibe, but I think some good visual films are:
Monkeybone
What Dreams May Come
The Cell
Waking Life
Also those nature/oceanography type IMAX movies. If you can find "The Living Sea," that's the best one, but "Africa: The Serengeti" and "Cosmic Voyage" are great too.
And to add to L/O's idea, you could also go with "The Endless Summer."
Assuming you are going to chop out the boring parts, I think any of those would work really.
I have seen you post threads about this in Music too, please let us know how it turns out!! I have been avidly following your progress. :)

Any movie with Meg Ryan or Adam Sandler is better with the sound off so as not to be subjected to their awful voices...then again no movie with either of them in it is worth seeing in the first place. Yes, I know PT Anderson directed "Punch Drunk Love", & shame on him for giving credibility to a no talent, baby talking pudwack like Sandler.

Oh, & "Titan A.E." may have a totally lame story & really bad voice characterizations, BUT the animation is cool & it actually works better with the soundtrack off & other music (especially trance) on. The last few times I've rolled at home I put the DVD on my big screen TV & blasted either Digweed or Dave Ralph mixes out my stereo & it was great!
[ 22 October 2002: Message edited by: cydonorb ]