• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How much can you raise your opiate tolerance in one day of heavy use?

burn out

Bluelighter
So here's the deal. I had a $120 a day heroin habit and I wanted to get clean but suboxone doesn't do it for me when my habit is that large. So I decided to do a direct heroin taper and then switch to suboxone at the end, which at that stage becomes as a magical cure for virtually all symptoms allowing me to make a very smooth and non painful transition off opiates. A direct heroin taper can actually be quite a good way to get clean, it can just be difficult to find the discipline to pull it off a lot of the time.

Only about 1 in 6 of my attempts to taper off heroin is successful but I managed to succeed this time in getting down from the $120 I was doing down to about $15 a day, at which point I figured I was ready to switch to subs. Then yesterday, something very bad happened to me and I got extremely depressed and decided to get insanely high to escape from the negative feelings I was experiencing. I used about $80 worth of heroin yesterday and saved a little for this morning, which I barely felt. Does that mean my tolerance has gone back up? Can I still make a painless or near painless switch to suboxone now or do I need to re-taper down again? Remember, I only used for one day, thee shots over 8 hours.

It probably didn't raise your tolerance back up completely, but it definitely would have a little. When you've been using steady, it only really take one day of moderate-heavy use to jack your tolerance up. I give you a lot of credit for being able to taper down on dope at all. It's not easy.