Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Pick one scene or image that you feel represents cinematic genious!

Krandle

Bluelighter
You know when your watching something and one scene or image just blows you away, pulls you in or just plain sets your thoughts on fire!!!!
Lets hear 'em...
What Movie?
What Scene?
What Director/Actor (depending on who you feel made the most impact)
What did it do for you?
Movie: Full Metal Jacket
Image: Throughout the second half of the movie,Jokers peace pin is slowly eclipsed as his experience with the war increases. In the last seen, as the sniper is shot, a shadow moves across the pin fully covering the emblem. (His faith in humanity is gone)
Director: Kubrick
What it did for me:I'm not sure, but I just think it was brilliant

Originally posted by Krandle:
You know when your watching something and one scene or image just blows you away, pulls you in or just plain sets your thoughts on fire!!!!
Lets hear 'em...
What Movie?
What Scene?
What Director/Actor (depending on who you feel made the most impact)
What did it do for you?
Movie: Full Metal Jacket
Image: Throughout the second half of the movie,Jokers peace pin is slowly eclipsed as his experience with the war increases. In the last seen, as the sniper is shot, a shadow moves across the pin fully covering the emblem. (His faith in humanity is gone)
Director: Kubrick
What it did for me:I'm not sure, but I just think it was brilliant

I was seriously going to say the same thing when I read the topic title. That's hell of weird.

the second vignette in kurosawa's dreams (the peach orchard) is perhaps the most beautiful moment ever captured on film.

Movie: Fight Club
Image: "Jack" (or "narrator" depending on who you talk to) is beating the holy hell out of "Pretty Boy" Jared Leto. His gives his monologue about his feelings of rejection and how he wants so much to destroy something beautiful ("I wanted to open up the valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'd never see...I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't fuck to save it's species. I wanted to breathe smoke."). The violence is bad enough, but the reactions on the faces of the people watching in slow-mo are what makes the scene truly horrifying. And in it's own twisted way, beautiful. I truly think that Fight Club is an absolute cinematic masterpiece, and it was tough picking just one scene out of the movie when there are so many. I'd say a close second is the car crash scene.
Director: David Fichner
What it did for me: The movie as a whole opened my eyes to a way of existance that had already lurked inside of me, but was too afraid to peek out. An existance without boundries, without rules. And it helped me realize that enilightenment is the ablility to let that which truly does not matter, slide.

The slow overhead pan of the hotel room when the cops storm in at the end of Taxi driver. Slow, silent and terrible... back when graphic violence was rare. Martin Scorcese directs; cinematography by Michael Chapman.

Wow. I was about to pick a David Fincher movie too :) He's just that good eh?
Mine's by no means a life changing scene, just one that I think was an awe inspiring scene
Movie: Panic Room
Scene: The break in scene, where the camera moves around the house in one long take, going anywhere and everywhere Fincher wants to take it. Into a key-hole. Through the bannister. Through the kettle handle. Back up 3 storeys to the skylight, watching the burglars at every stop. I loved it.
Director: David Fincher
What it did for me: Made me grin my stoned little ass from ear to ear :)

Movie: Session 9
Scene: It didn't change my prospective on life or anything. It was just awesome cinamatography
scareychair.jpg

Director: Brad Anderson
What it did for me: Just put so many thoughts and words into my head from on single shot. It put so many different senarios and different situation in my mind. Just a damn good shot.
[ 05 June 2002: Message edited by: cossack ]

I hate to mention such a well known, new film, but I'm having the damndest time thinking of anything else. This scene really grabbed me by the balls in a way I can't compare to anything else. I think I'll come back with a *best by cinematography* later in the thread
Film: Requiem For A Dream
Scene: Country Jailhouse/ "requiem"
Director/Actor: Darren Aronofsky directing jared leto and the Wayens boy
What did it do for you? It made me leave a theatre uterly without words, shaking and stumbling, unable to rationalize what I just saw, for the first time in my life. When I got back to my dorm room, I called my mother to tell her I loved her. Then Icalled my friends and told them to FIND a theater that was still running the film. As the film looks as though it's lost its horizontal hold, and is about to slide off, as the guys both scream about their withdrawl pains, and as their voices are garbled in audio noise, I had my ego blown away without the use of a psychedelic.

right on to atlas for choosing a scene from requiem for a dream... that's where mine comes from too, but mine is a different scene.
Movie: Requiem For a Dream
Image: when sara goldfarb walks out of the hospital with her hair chopped and her lips chapped looking like hell and you can just TELL that she went through some MAJOR problems, the look on her face leads you to believe she'd be better off dead, and her friends waiting for her at the table... they cry, then they hug while they look at her in her moment of despair, at her lowest low.
Director: Darren Aranofsky
What did it do for me: it gave me goosebumps and made all my hairs stand on end. kinda gave me chills.

This might be seen as too blatant or obvious for the more educated film buffs, but it sure worked for me:
Movie Schindler's List.
Scene The little girl with the red coat (in a black and white movie).
Director Steven Spielberg
What it did for me Focused my emotions on this one beautiful, innocent, and doomed child.

Movie: Blade Runner
Scene:"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
It's in the end of the film, when Roy Batty is Dying in the arms of Deckard. It shows a broken man, who's done everything he can (Even confronted and killed his own god.) But still cannot change what is to be.
Director: Ridley Scott
What it did for me:Showed that you should use your time wisely on this earth. You're only here for a limited time, and nothing you do will change that. So live, love, and cherish what you have seen and done, rather then squander it away looking towards things you haven't done.
(And thats only one scene from one of the greatest movies ever made :) )

Movie: Magnolia
Image: One of the final scenes....when it inexplicably rains bullfrogs.
Director: Paul thomas Anderson
What it did for me: I'll never forget it.
Damn!!! I'm sorry I have to pick one more!
Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
Image: When Andy puts on Mozarts 'Marriage of figaro' and the prisoners are mezmerized.
Director: Frank Darabont
What did it for me: Same as above, that song is etched in my memory.
[ 07 June 2002: Message edited by: easyfreak ]

gamecat:
that's exactly what i was going to say.

Movie?
Pi
Scene?
Power drill to the head.
Director/Actor
Darren Aronofsky, director
Sean Gullette, actor
What did it do for you?
It made me wonder if I were ever to go insane, would I have the stones to free myself in a similar way?
---
Movie?
Half-baked
Scene?
When Kenny walks out of the convience store and asks the horse, "Hey girl, you hungry?", and a big black chick who's walking by yells at him, "FUCK YOU, NIGGA!"
Director
Tamra Davis, director
Harland Williams, actor
What did it do for you?
That line just came out of leftfield. You know Kenny's just talking to the horse, but out of nowhere this big black chick calls this skinny white guy a nigga. Too funny.
[ 07 June 2002: Message edited by: Furnace ]

^^^^
Hey there furnace, I was going to say Pi too!! Well here we go.
I love that movie
Pi
Scene?
when he is on the bench staring up to the trees and the birds. He does alot of thinking and thinks he gets it, but throws it away..
Director/Actor
Darren Aronofsky, director
Sean Gullette, actor
What did it do for you?
I love just sitting outside and thinking. When you finally figure it out, it is a totally different feeling. I knew exactly what his emotions were

Originally posted by Furnace:
Scene?
When Kenny walks out of the convience store and asks the horse, "Hey girl, you hungry?", and a big black chick who's walking by yells at him, "FUCK YOU, NIGGA!"

Funny sstory, Furnace...I have this compulsion now where if anyone says, "Are ya hungry girl?" I have to say, "Fuck you niggah!" My friends know this and they'll ask me that at the most inopportune moments, like when we're walking through a crowd of black people in downtown Denver. :(

This is my favorite V&PA thread in recent memory, so I want it kept fresh. Hopefully, a new enrty will spur on more of you guys to post some fine scenes.
For my second, I'm drawing from The Big Lebowski. I've arrived here after shaming myslef for picking two recent films, when I should be delving back into Eisenstien and Uzo. However, the Cohen Bros. movies are very accessible, and very entertaining. Besides, this is the only scene I'm ready to bestow my "greatest scene" seal to. Here goes nothing:
What Movie? The Big Lebowski
What Scene? The Jesus scene
What director/actor? Joel and Ethan Cohen directing, john Turturo acting, and Roger Deakins acting as cinematographer
What did it do for you?
It totally blew me away to see John Turturo bowl that strick to a spanish version of Hotel California. As soon as the chorus starts, the camera reels around Jesus quickly, then pans slowly over the dude, walter, and donny. That shot in particular has an excellent spaghetti western feel to it. Jesus' declaration to Walter about his gun is powerful as hell. Then to top it all off, we get the flashback or Jesus going door to door telling his neighbors that hes a pederast: "Whats a pederast, Walter? Shut the fuck up Donny."
Every shot, every frame goes together brilliantly. I watch it again and again, and I still can't find anything wrong...not a single thing. Costuming, acting, editing, cinematography, it all sings perfection; And although there's no real message or substance to it, it's awe inspiring and powerfull, in a bent, comic way.

What Movie?
Dead Man
What Scene?
The final scene
What Director/Actor
Jim Jarmusch (director and writer), I'd credit him more for the writing than the directing tho...
Johnny Depp - amazing as always
AND
Neil Young - The soundtrack is just him playing along with the film on an electric guitar and it fits perfectly.
What did it do for you?
Its one of those scenes where you've enjoyed an entire movie loads and THEN on the final scene you realise what it was actually all about. All the symbolism resolves and finally makes sense.
I can't really describe the scene because I don't want to spoil it for anybody, but if you've seen it, I'm sure you'll know what I mean. If you haven't seen it... GO GET IT :)

Movie: The Exorcist
Image: Max von Sydow is driven up to the house in a taxi, gets out and is eclipsed by the beam of light coming from the bedroom out onto the street.
Director: William Friedkin
What it did: Gave an errie but realistic view of good entering the domain of evil. Fucking perfect.
It's a famous scene, but there is no better.