Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Matrix: Reloaded living up to original?

josh125a

Bluelighter
Seeing as how the plot of the original was so blatantly based on the life of Jesus, (and if anyone didn't notice that, I don't know how you missed it) how do they plan on having the plot of the sequels live up to what many Westerners consider "the greatest story ever told." The first movie wrapped it up pretty well, as far as the biblical allegory goes. Neo was tempted, saved, deceived, executed, and resurrected. Story's over. How can they continue with many of the same characters and not continue the allegory that the first film was so obviously dependent on? Of course, that's not to say the film was totally dependent on that or wouldn't have held its own without it, but it seems to me that the sequels are gonna have to have some really incredible story lines to live up to the veiled religion of the first. I certainly don't want The Matrix to turn into a cookie-cutter action series carried only by bizarre special effects....

Last edited by a moderator:
what about the book of mormon? :)
We could use that for reloaded, or just write some more bible. Jesus: reloaded.

hell yeah...good point....just write some more bible! that thing's so old anyway....we need to revamp it a little....CATHOLICISM: WOW! and let's not forget the Buddy Christ....

*blinks at the thought of George Carlin in a Matrix movie written and directed by Kevin Smith*

the matrix had NOTHING to do with religion! i dont see how u could get that. neo as christ? uh huh, sure, whatever u say buddy, uh huh yeah right.

the matrix had NOTHING to do with religion! i dont see how u could get that. neo as christ? uh huh, sure, whatever u say buddy, uh huh yeah right.
omg sunEdlyte, did you not see the movie? or was your head just up your ass as usual? well, as i sincerely hope you were just being sarcastic, i'll break it down for you anyways....
neo represents christ. he's even referred to as that by choi and dajour (sp?) in the beginning..."you're my saviour man, my own personal jesus christ" neo's coming to save the world was prophecied years ago, just as in the bible with jesus, with the people enslaved in the matrix representing the jews and the machines as the roman empire...neo is then tempted to deny his people (and eventual followers) by agent smith, which, in that regard, represents satan, who tried to tempt jesus...neo is then set free, dropped into water, and brought back out (i.e. baptized) by morpheus, who can be seen as john the baptist, who did the same for jesus...neo is then betrayed to the romans by one of his own, cypher, who obviously represents judas...neo is then executed by the empire...then he's resurrected when Trinity (the father, the son, the holy ghost) says that she loves him...and in the end he flies up into the sky, even shaped like a cross....
so either you're being sarcastic, which doesn't translate well as script, or you're a complete moron...from your other posts, i'll place my bets on the latter....

^^^^true but not that much having to do with jesus...mostly just letters from the apostles to various locations and fire and brimstone prophecy...not really much of storyline as depicted in the gospels...and on a side note, i saw the trailer for reloaded last night and it looks pretty damn awesome...i doubt they'll revert back to the allegory though...but that's cool with me....

Even if the Matrix is bible based, I would look at it as more of the second coming... and who's to say that in the second coming that Christ wouldn't decide to stick around and kick a little ass before going back to heaven? It's a whole new world, completely different from biblical times... that calls for a new and improved "savior" now doesn't it?
No matter if people look at it as biblical based... I'm still going to see the movie.
Or, you could just stop reading so much into movies and just try to enjoy it for what it is, packaged entertainment.

i'm appalled at your assumption that because i saw what was glaringly obvious to anyone paying attention means i didn't enjoy the movie...to say that i'm "reading too much into it" by merely pointing out the blatant biblical allusions present in the film, is a bit naive...i enjoyed it immensely, as i'm sure i will the sequels whether they're allegorical or not...and just because you decide to turn your brain off at the mere scent of "packaged entertainment" doesn't mean the rest of the world does...next you people will try and tell me that the wizard of oz was a book for kids.....hmm, a bit dim, but i expect that from most people...

Originally posted by josh125a:
to say that i'm "reading too much into it" by merely pointing out the blatant biblical allusions present in the film, is a bit naive...
There are times to get deep, and times to just sit back and be entertained... that's all I'm saying. Enjoy. :)

^^^^hehe, interesting considering the 3rd one is gonna be called Matrix: Revolutions...
[ 26 May 2002: Message edited by: josh125a ]

Originally posted by Web:

There are times to get deep, and times to just sit back and be entertained... that's all I'm saying. Enjoy. :)

Exactly, That's why they create movies like "Dude, Where's my car."
I love it when people consider themselves movie buffs but can't see the blatant. (no offense to anyone, just a general statement. I know lots of people that like think they are the shit and also think that "o" was an original story, they are even that dumb)

I just saw a trailer for this and I thought they showed a bit too much.

I'm almost salivating for the eyecandy right now.

Jesus Christ, man! I mean....whatever..

I think Josh brings up an interesting point. I never really viewed the Matrix as a religious homage but i do think that whatever allusions the movie makes to Jesus' life (or whatever religion u believe in) is purely coincidental. I have yet to read an article surrounding the Matrix trilogy where the producers, directors, actors have said anything to the fact that the films were geared toward delivering religious messages. But if so, i have several questions:

1. So does this make the Oracle God?

2. Does the Last Supper take place in the ship when Mouse is talking about what chicken tastes like?

3. Do u think Jesus ate the red pill or the blue one?

I did not see the connection when I saw the Matrix (more than once), and I consider myself VERY intelligent (like, scary smart). But as an atheist I try to think as little of the bible as possible, so that may be the explanation.

There is also the chance it was unintentional or coincidence. These are not the same thing. The author could have unintentionally used the Jesus story because it was in his subconscious. Or that could have had no effect and these comparisons are all pure coincidence.

Anyway, if you "boil down" the different kind of plot elements that can be in a story, there are not all that many. Betrayal. Temptation. Vindication. Etc. My point being that finding a biblical allegory in any work of fiction might be akin to a guide to astrological signs accurately describing you... I mean, EACH sign is always described with some vague positive stuff and negative stuff that EVERYONE sees in themselves to some degree, so they all sound true. Correlation without causation.

Similarly, if the story of Jesus had a lot of the classic stock elements of a good "hero" story, then you would naturally expect that many, most, perhaps even all good hero stories seem to be a Christ allegory... Correlation without causation. Let me test this theory by picking a random "hero" besides Jesus or Neo: Superman.

Hmmm... Okay, first off Superman was not born of a human woman (like Jesus and the Virgin birth). When not saving the world, he is meek and mild as Clark Kent, which plays into Jesus favoring meekness (saying the meek shall inherit the earth). Ummm... They both have x-ray vision, right? (I'm reaching here.) Okay, so maybe it is not so easy to find a Jesus allegory with every hero, or maybe I just don't know Superman well enough.

Regardless, I WILL say that even if Matrix 1 was a Jesus allegory, there is no reason that Matrix 2 or 3 must continue a biblical allegory. Because the allegory was brought to a satisfying conclusion, the writers to me now seem free to go in an entirely different direction.

Oh, last point: If it WAS a Jesus allegory, then "god" would be...who? I suppose the same being who gives the Oracle visions, huh? But not literally god, rather some being that could be introduced in the next movie or two... Maybe a computer subroutine added by a brilliant human back right when the human/computer war began, to try to work from within to save humans, such as by giving slight nudges here and there to help breed humans who can see through the matrix (i.e., Neo), and communicating with the rest of the "enlightened" humans through a chosen human (the Oracle).

If it were my story, and this is all just off the top of my head, the master computer would analyze what has happened that lead to the defeat of its minions in the first movie and will on reflection recognize that there must be a "traitor" in its own midst, so to speak, the pro-human subroutine (which we'll call Max). The master computer starts a systematic purge process which forces Max to move itself into the Matrix, where it takes human form. But in this place and form, it is vulnerable, and Neo must protect it and guide it to a place where it can re-enter the Matrix when the purge is complete.

But Max suggests the alternative that there is one connection between the main brain of the master computer and the Matrix where, if Max can reach that connection, Max could conceivably gain control of the master computer brain and set all humanity free.

It turns out, though, Max does not want to return. The decades of watching and trying to protect and free humans have given Max a love of humanity where he himself desires to be human (classic Pinocchio character) and in the Matrix he finds himself experiencing life as a human would and thinking he might even prefer to live forever in the Matrix rather than leave and merely watch humanity. So he is waffling on which side he is really on. And we feel bad for Max because he (she?) will be drawn as a sympathetic character.

Well, Neo leads Max through various obstacles, agents, etc. , with lots of cool effects and explosions. At the end, they get to the master computer connector node, only to find that the master computer has been expecting them and wanting them to come to it. None of the master computer's minions were able to defeat Neo, so it knew it had to do it itself. It knew that Neo could not harm it from inside the Matrix, nor could Neo himself use the node to get "into" the master computer since he was, after all, human and not a computer program. It also knew all about Max and, in fact, had added a monitoring subroutine to Max and, once they get into the node room, the master computer triggers that subroutine which further stops Max from entering the node.

But as the master computer pummels Neo, he realizes that while he cannot affect the computer, it's program not being in the Matrix, Max still IS in the Matrix, so Neo can delete the subroutine in Max that is holding him/her still. But the master computer sees this and sets in place a deletion routine that the node that will destroy the subroutine upon entry. Neo realizes that there is one solution. He absorbs Max into himself, thereby becoming part computer subroutine, so that the merged entity can enter the node. The Neo part keeps it from being deleted and it is able to battle and destroy the mastercomputer from the inside.

On reflection maybe that is all to similar to Tron. Dammit.

~psychoblast~

I always thought the only connection between religion and The Matrix was when Morpheus said, "It's the wool that's been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."

;)

I'm sure their are many layers of meaning in the movie the Matrix.

What I see the Matrix being based on is the post-modern philosophy book called Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Boudrillard. This isn't merely a guess on my end. Near the beginning of the movie Neo opens a desk drawer in his home to give a data disk to some young hacker types. When he opens the drawer the book is plainly visible. A not so sutble clue. The book is a marvelous, yet very heavy, philosophical examination of the 'real' and the 'hyper-real', of the 'simulation' and the 'simulation of the simulation'. Well, perhaps I shouldn't try and summarize this book in a couple of sentences as much of it went over my head. But, it totally fits in with the concepts of this movie.

Last edited: