• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how to stop using IV heroin??

123sleep

Greenlighter
hey everyone i'm d , addict. I would never think I would be on this site to ask about addiction advice but firgured everyone here probably knows a thing or two about it....Anyway i've been going through a lot lately. I had 70 days clean and relapsed for a night and now have 12 days clean. I keep seeing my friends go back out and end up in jails or dying. Frankly, i'm scared..I know the odds are WAY against me. I just found out I have hep C from sharing needles...and prison ain't a nice place from what I hear. if anyone has ANY advice on how they kicked heroin and stayed clean PLEASE share your experience. thank you

It all depends on why you were doing drugs in the first place, it seems you already know how bad it can get for you if you don't stop, but that hasn't stopped you relapsing, so maybe there's deeper issues you have that keep pulling you back to drugs. It's very important to remember that you did manage 70 days clean, that's a long time, so you did really well and there's nothing from stopping you doing it again. Do you go to NA meetings, and if so did you find it helpful? I've been a few times and definitely helps put things in perspective, I haven't got as far as practicing the 12 steps yet, but I hear it's helped a lot of people stay clean. There's also CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which helps change thought patterns that keep bringing you back to drugs, I haven't been able to get in anywhere to try this yet, but I hear it's very effective from people who have. Then there's going into rehab, that works well for people who are surrounded by drugs where they live, as it can keep you away from the problem long enough to clear your head and re-assess your life, but it won't work if you don't want to be there, so think hard before you choose that option. Also I found IV saline solution helps stop the needle craving if that's a big problem for you. I can't recommend one way over another as everyone is different, plus I haven't managed to get clean and stay that way for more than a month, so whilst I have lots of experience at getting off heroin I have little experience at staying clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, support groups can be very useful at staying clean. Worth trying out. Its also very helpful if you have a partner with whom you can talk about it. But mainly I think you have to get a very clear picture of what youre doing with your life. Everyone "knows" the problems, the sh*t theyre getting themselves into, etc.. But few understand it. Its more of a passing thought. Heh, recently I watched some somewhat random(for this discussion) fighting countdown video and a guy said something about the definition of hell and it stuck with me. "Hell is when you die and you are faced with yourself that could have been". It kind of struck a nerve.

Heroin just blows your life. So much loss, fake anger, scr*wed relationships, numerous bad decisions. Everytime you feel like doing it just once more, think about where it will lead. Its just so much negative sh*t for that short time of that fake comfort.
Like the neg. emotions that make you crave it so the comfy feeling of H will pass in a flash. Dont let them control you. Emotions, happy, sad, depressed arent you. Its more like weather and youre a house, sadly most of us always try to follow the weather and keep with it when its nice but its impossible. The more you realize it, let it go and just watch it as it comes and passes, the less it effects you. And also a general advice that works for most people is to keep busy. Find things you like to do and do them. If have too much time to think you usually rationalize your way into doing it just once again.

Go to a methadone or Suboxone clinic/doctor. This is really necessary if you keep relapsing and feel you can't do it yourself after multiple attempts to stay clean, in my opinion at least.

Best of luck man, I'm sure this is going to be rough for you, but you can do it.

The thing is (I'm sure you already know this) that you have absolutely 100% got to want to quit. It's what's kept me using for so long - sure the sick days are gruesome and having to go to work ill is seriously shit, but I know dam well I'm not ready to put the pin down yet. The fact you've stayed clean for a substantial amount of time in the past, is without doubt, a huge achievement. Why don't you think about a maintenance script as C.H posted above... that way there wouldn't be much point using on top. I've been on both bupe and methadone scripts, and personally methadone took care of cravings for me unlike bupe.
Addiction sure is a bastard. It can easily consume one. But don't be frightened of something you have every means of taking control of. It's about changing the way you think more than anything. I know we tend to say 'fuck it' a lot when we are sick.. but are you even experiencing dope sickness? Clean for 12 days? It's almost like you are scared of what MIGHT happen as opposed to being in the depths of an all consuming addiction...

Well either way, I wish you luck - you certainly aren't alone. You can get over this and will if you really want to.

Tell your friends and family. This was the difference between relapsing (for the umteenth time) and finally getting sober. Hopefully for good.

Good luck to you sir!

The answer for me was I needed to find another lifestyle healthy and more interesting than being a dope fiend and I had to keep physical distance away from friends still into using. The life that worked for me involved a lot of yoga and meditation and I managed to get over a decade free of compulsive drug use before that life imploded as a result of the corruption of my guru being exposed concurrent with multiple personal losses and tragedies.
Those thirteen years were the best of my life regardless of the delusive elements that were central to my existence then.
There are amazing and inexplicable experiences possible which require absolute abstinence from psychoactive substances and frankly blow drugs away. Those states of consciousness require sustained, dedicated, sincere efforts to attain, and are more than worth the effort if you can give it. Doing it without some sort of community/support seem unlikely though. It is for me at least.
Good luck with your efforts and know life can be quite remarkable without drugs, it is not innately boring.