• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long does it take to get Suboxone?

Phase0)))

Bluelighter
Well I have checked myself into a rehab program from my insurance. This is really the first time I actually decided on my own to go so I have a lot of hopes for myself.

However I am very sick right now. I have been withdrawing from Heroin and Methadone since Sunday. The rehab place I go to has a large Suboxone community, but it seems for me that it's actualyl very hard to get Suboxone.

My doc there prescribed me Clonidine, Bentyl, and Ibuprofen. None of them make the withdrawals easier, I have strong feelings going back to the methadone because I feel so fucking horrible.

Oh yeah and I was a heavy benzo user for about 3 years, quit cold turkey, and have had overwhelming anxiety. Been of them since March 25th, so it hasn't been long. But the doctors seem to not care about the bezno use. They say the withdrawals are over from them and that it's only lethal for the first 72 hours. I think that's some bullshit right there.

Anyways, I am the sickest I've ever been, the saddest I've ever been. Before I go for evaluation of Suboxone, apparently I have to completely detox.

So it's been 3 days, does it usually take this long for people to get on Suboxone? Sorry if this doesnt make sense, my brain is completely fried right now.

Should only take until you are in withdrawal. It sounds like the place you're going has specific rules, that you should be asking them since they can actually tell you when you can get on Suboxone.

Yeah that place def has their own way of doing things then. If you go see a doctor privately, you get on the suboxone immediately as soon as you are in withdrawal. He gives it to you right there in the room.

Benzo WD being psychically dangerous is true, but after 15 days the danger is passed. The WD symptoms you will experience at this point will mostly be rebound anxiety.

Like CH said, if you are sick you can readily start suboxone. I'm assuming you are going to the same done clinic to get on suboxone? It's really much easier to see a private doctor if that is possible. The prices of sub treatment at my local clinic was astronomical.

Benzo WD being psychically dangerous is true, but after 15 days the danger is passed. The WD symptoms you will experience at this point will mostly be rebound anxiety.

Like CH said, if you are sick you can readily start suboxone. I'm assuming you are going to the same done clinic to get on suboxone? It's really much easier to see a private doctor if that is possible. The prices of sub treatment at my local clinic was astronomical.

I wasn't going to a done clinic, I just got them off the streets. I'm assuming that I won't have to pay that much since no medication has had a copay above 5 dollars at Kaiser. Hopefully Suboxone will be the same.

Their excuse is that I will go into precipitated withdrawals if I take it too soon, but damn I don't know if suffering can get any worse at this point.

I wasn't going to a done clinic, I just got them off the streets. I'm assuming that I won't have to pay that much since no medication has had a copay above 5 dollars at Kaiser. Hopefully Suboxone will be the same.

Their excuse is that I will go into precipitated withdrawals if I take it too soon, but damn I don't know if suffering can get any worse at this point.

You will go into PW's if you take them too soon, that's why you need to wait until you are in moderate-severe withdrawal to take them, usually around 24 hours since your last opiate dose, but it could be sooner for some people or it could be later, everyones body is different.

If you are already really sick than it's fine to start taking them. How long has it been since you last used?

It sounds to me like they're stringing you along so they can say some shit like, "You've been off all drugs for three weeks! Good for you! We feel that Suboxone is no longer necessary!"

If you think a treatment center is actually gonna keep you, the patient, informed on what they're "treatment strategy" is....Ha, go to a few more rehabs...

As appalling as it may seem, a lot of these places will manipulate and lie to you, and at the end tell you, "It was all for your own good!"...."we knew that if we told you your cat died on the 11th day you were here, you'd probably relapse, so it was all for your own good!"....

It enrages me, the attitude some of these places have.....they'll tell you anything to keep you in treatment....It's horrifying...they're scumbags...worse than drug-addicts IMO!....Most fucked up thing, they think they're "saving lives"...

I had a misdemeanor charge pending while I was in rehab once....My counselor told me they were sending letters to the court to get the charge dropped....Come to find out, when I left rehab, they were actually sending letters to the court telling them to mandate me to more drug treatment....I hate these people with a passion and I hope they all die! Just my opinion, but the credibility these substance abuse professionals are given by the courts, employers, family members, it's just unbelievable...They're money-hungry, lying, scam artists!

Edit: Actually, sounds like your insurance company is dicking you around too! They figure that if you can detox without relapsing, you'll be fine without suboxone! They'll do anything not to have to pay for that shit! You have to be "clean from opiates" before they do an evaluation?! Bull-fucking shit! If you could hear the phone calls from the insurance provider to the facility you're in, you'd learn the truth! the facility doesn't give a fuck about you and wants to make as much money from you as possible! The insurance company wants to pay as little as possible to treat you and you're caught in the middle! I'd tell them you're gonna leave and relapse immediately if they don't give you suboxone!

I'm not trying to be an asshole...but what you're saying makes no sense....It's a perfect example of why the health-care system in the US is so fucked up!

Last edited:
i had the same problem as you at a rehab from not getting subaxone coming off heroin n dones, they said they wouldnt give me subs cause i used methadone the day before i was admitted n they said id go into instant withdraw (which is bs cuz iv taken subs 18hrs after taking dones or heroin n never went into instant wd). so i assumed they would give it to me a day or two later n nope. even though i was still having hellish wd symptoms for over a week... but they give subs to a vicodin addict who only was using 50-100mg a day n she said she didnt want it cuz she knew it wouldnt b bad wd. im never goin to rehab again after this experience, ill detox on my own so i can atleast be comfortable... jus keep your head up eveen though its hard. one love

With methadone I belive you have to wait like 72 hours before starting Sub, due to methadone taking longer to get out of your system than most other opiates.

I have been to 5 rehabs inpatient, so I totally get what BluesHues is talking about. The first one was terrible and practically forced me to go to the second one. The second one was "supposed" to be for 3 months "extended care", but once I arrived I learned that they did everything they could to make the move permanent. The standard stay inpatient was 12-24 months! And they pushed it as 3 and acted all surprised that we were "misinformed." Their goal was to cut off the patients from their family by strictly prohibiting any sort of communication (And they asked the parents weekly to make sure they were not in contact). Talking to parents was treated almost as severely as relapsing, and one of the punishments was forced homelessness for a set period of time.... I remember sneaking people food in the middle of the night who were "kicked out" for a week or 2. Guess they got tired of the dumpster menu or were unsuccessful panhandlers.. But almost no one was local, so they had no one else to go to. Meanwhile, they had weekly phone sessions with the parents and their goal was to convince the parents that their children needed to start their own new life in that state, and to stay there permanently.

The fucked up thing was that this second place was dual purpose: addiction and behavioral/defiant personality disorders. The thing is, they NEVER mentioned that..... and they were recently bought by the company that owned the first rehab... so they just funneled everyone there regardless of any secondary personality disorders, yet the treatment plan and philosophy was based on a defiant personality disorder...

I was just a simple addict. LOL

It wasn't helping me as I wasn't ready to get clean (got pulled in rehab very very shortly after discovering oxycontin, so I was still at that phase where it was all fun....) , and luckily my pops was wise enough to see their greed and pulled me out of there after 4 months. And man did I get SHIT for it from the-rapists. They actually called a 2 hour "meeting" with me in the hot seat. They went around taking turns scolding me in front of 200 people while I sat there quietly.

This was around 7 years ago and many of my friends from that place are still down there as their parents were swayed to break off contact for good. Or maybe only temporarily like a decade.

The last rehab I went to was free, (or how ever much up to 3,500 a month one could afford). It was mostly funded by donations and work that we patients did with a thrift store and furniture/miscellaneous collection operation. There was always a waiting list, so they were more than happy to encourage those who weren't serious about getting clean to leave, so that someone who wanted it more could take their bed. The people there cared, and all went through the program as well. More than half the staff were actually patients whom they trusted, and I even got a job after only 5 months driving and running a 26' truck to help with the thrift store and pick ups. And it was a wonderful wonderful place. I stayed for 10 months and they had to suggest it was time to move on with my life because I liked it so much LOL. Been clean ever since :) (well, other than a little mary jane now and then heh).

Sorry for the rant. But I hear yah....rehabs are so hit and miss. Same with their intentions and priorities.

Goddamn, those are some stories that just enrage me when reading them! And I can relate so well to them! God I'm so fucking sick, I think I will go to a private doctor to get subs if these fuckers pull some other shit from their bag to excuse themselves for being greedy as fuck. I guess I'll try to act not so sick, maybe take some Seroquel to calm my shaking body down, (it's sad seeing as how they give Subs to people who only used a little while and look/act totally normal, while someone who is shaking and sweating has to "wait more time" and don't give a rats ass and won't eve prescribe me flexeril or some shit) and make it seem like I'm not withdrawing so bad.

Ahh what days have we come to when you have to put on a facade to doctors in order to treat you properly? There is something seriously wrong with this countries ideas of business ethics, especially when it crosses over into the goddamn field of MEDICINE! Sorry, but this makes my blood boil!

There's a place I know that doesn't take insurance, but cash only. It costs a bill for a suboxone script..
I've never been to rehab, and I was planning on checking in to one, but not after reading that.

^ JunkieDays, there are some great rehabs out there, like the last one I mentioned. Due diligence man, and caveat emptor.