• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The New Stimulus Package: Overachievers are popping Adderall to get ahead.

Bluelight Crew
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn..._smart_pills_work_if_you_don_t_have_adhd.html

This morning, like every weekday morning, I showered, dressed, popped a cognitive-enhancement pill, and headed to the office. My brain drug of choice these days is Concerta, a long-acting form of the popular ADHD drug Ritalin. I’ve also taken Adderall in the past. As far as I can tell, one works about as well as the other. The drugs enable me to work more diligently and in longer spurts than I could otherwise. On any given day, they also drastically increase the chances that I will remember to do things like enter an appointment on my calendar, run an errand on the way home, and respond to emails in a timely fashion.

My habit is legal, because I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and I have a prescription. But in the past decade or so, psychostimulants like Adderall have exploded in popularity among people without a diagnosis or prescription. Studies indicate that as many as one in three students on major college campuses have used ADHD medications illicitly, most commonly as a study aid. The insatiable demand has led to shortages at pharmacies across the country.

The law draws a bright line between the use of Adderall by people with ADHD and by those without. For the former, it’s therapy. For the latter, it’s felony drug abuse, punishable by up to a month in jail.

The drug itself, however, does not draw the same bright line. And neither do a growing number of high-achieving, non-ADHD users who see it as the perfect cognitive-enhancement drug—a way to work more, sleep less, and get a better handle on their busy lives.

In today's competitive economy, some might label that cheating, akin to athletes taking anabolic steroids to gain an unfair edge. Others might suspect that nonprescription Adderall users are only cheating themselves—that the drug won’t really help you if you don’t have ADHD, or that deleterious side effects will counteract any short-term advantages the drug may confer. Perhaps it will even turn out to be seriously harmful. If that’s true, the current frenzy might turn out to be short-lived. But what if it isn’t? What if the neuro-enhancement craze is just getting started?

Adderall is hardly the first prescription medication to find a black market among the tired and ambitious. As Joshua Foer noted in a Slate story in 2005, Jack Kerouac wrote On the Road while dosed up on Benzedrine, a stimulant that was once prescribed as a nasal decongestant. And for his series on human enhancement technologies 10 years ago, Slate’s David Plotz experimented with Provigil, an alertness drug typically prescribed as treatment for narcolepsy. (More on that below.)

But the prevalence of ADHD—about one in 10 children in the United States meet the diagnostic criteria, according to a recent survey—and the popularity of Ritalin and Adderall for treatment mean that they are far more widely available than other types of brain drugs. That’s especially so because inexpert doctors have a hard time distinguishing a patient who has ADHD from one who’s faking the symptoms to get a fix.

cont. http://www.slate.com/articles/techn..._smart_pills_work_if_you_don_t_have_adhd.html

I think there is a little bit a problem here. It is an easy disorder to fake yet its a schedule 2 substance, meaning there is an incentive to commit an easy crime to get out of being charged for another (very serious) crime.

I think they should downgrade methylphenidate and amphetamine to a lower schedule (reducing incentive to lie), or at least downgrade methylphenidate because so many find it non-recreational, then prescription habits should change to prescribing methylphenidate as much as possible before amphetamine. However, there should also be a push to prescribe alternatives, including wellbutrin and strattera before methylphenidate. Furthermore, psychiatrists should always recommend supplements and try to prescribe low-dose anti-psychotics and/or propanolol or similar medications to mitigate both neurotoxicity and tolerance and most importantly the rewarding effects. Finally, procedures to cut off addicts should be more strictly enforced if they are reasonably suspected of abusing their medication (though I am in favor of substituting amphetamine for meth in chronic addicts).

Let me also say that I am in favor of prescribing stimulants to those without ADD (though I have symptoms) if they are responsible in their use for work and/or have other mental disorders that can be helped with such a medication.

This isn't a game.

I think there is a little bit a problem here. It is an easy disorder to fake yet its a schedule 2 substance, meaning there is an incentive to commit an easy crime to get out of being charged for another (very serious) crime.

At what point does lying to a psychiatrist go from being a symptom to being a crime?

Not disagreeing with you; just curious.

I think lines are really hard to define, especially in psychology and (a little bit less so) psychiatry, given its still more of an art than a science.

A symptom of what though? Of another disorder?

It kinda pisses me off how some people fake their symptoms to get prescribed shit. Some people actually do need those meds

ive said it before but i think its something good to think about. Just for a second think about how much of our economy is propped up by stimulant use. How many sky scrappers and bridges have been built. How much money and policy has been made. But then that makes me come to the conclusion...why have we created a society in which it is pretty much a necessity for people to use stimulants just to keep up and make ends meat. I would wager to say that america especially would not have as many medical problems per capita if people were encouraged to work at their own speed, where productivity comes after sleep and food. I dunno maybe im a dreamer.

Yes, and stimulants can stifle creativity.

I heard South Americas culture is generally much more lax.

Last edited:
ADD/ADHD or not, it's a performance enhancer. Imagine if steroids were prescribed like ADHD/ADD meds. Like oh, you're slightly weaker than average? Here have some drugs to make you 'normal'. Well I'm off to get some plastic surgery cause I'm an ugly fucker #BeWhoYouWantToBeNotWhoYou'reBorn.... That being said ADD/ADHD meds should be legal (18+).

Sports aren't nearly so necessary to the continued well being of our society as productive minds are.