View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

"unclean" acid trip report & questions

berkenstine

Greenlighter
I'm quite an experienced user of psychedelics. Quite. I've been sold many things that were supposed to be acid, I've been sold 100% genuine clean acid, I've been sold quite a few blotters that I had to accept the fact that I had no idea what I just took.

Bitterness is obviously the best way to tell, but one time I had a blotter that tasted clean. Just like white paper.

I took 2 hits via the old sublingualification, felt first effects in 45 minutes. No food in stomach, no caffeine, just got done with a productive day in class and a great workout, so the body load and anxiety of this trip should not exist.

My trips usually consist of an uncomfortable edgy come-up followed by an almost instantaneous relieving drop from jitteryness into complete tranquility and peace. And depending on my dose, psychedelia.

This time was worse. About after I dosed I felt like I had just eaten a whole bottle of adderall. As far as my mental state, I was far beyond edgy, trying to remain hopeful about my night but every time I saw my reflection I looked like I was in severe pain. As much as I tried to pep myself up, my friends noticed that I wasn't feeling too well. The body load had moved beyond the hot-cold, foot tapping, and occasional shivering. I was now twitching, feeling like my heart was about to explode, feeling pains in fingers and toes.

The duration was normal of real lsd, but instead of dropping into bliss, my pain and anxiety gradually numbed itself out. Throughout the night I kept getting harsh stabbing and throbbing pains in my side, I felt like some organ was about to burst or fail.

The visuals made it unmistakable that what I had taken was lsd, but I've never had this kind of reaction. It was actually somewhat enjoyable with weed and friends, but I didn't buy from this connect again.

All of my friends agreed it was lsd, at the time I argued this, but after a few hours of the trip I was convinced they were right.

I always thought that synthesizing lsd required so much education, time, money, and resources that it would be next to impossible to make an unclean batch. Why would anyone go through the trouble the make bad acid? Is it even possible for someone who isn't a professional chemist to even get close to synthing lsd?

The information I most desire is this: are the effects of miniscule amounts of ergoline chemicals in an impure batch of lsd toxic enough to be noticed? toxic enough to kill/ injure you? What are the chances of someone making imperfect lsd? How harsh on the body is d-lsd-tartate?

There's no such thing as clean and unclean acid. It's either LSD or its not.

You had an uncomfortable trip. It happens. It's a myth that LSD can't lead to jitters and anxiety.

Last edited:
Yes, it's related to set and setting. Any other ergoloids wouldn't be active at levels on blotter paper. Moreover, strange physical side effects are well-known with LSD.

Just because you haven't had a bad trip before, doesn't mean you won't. Write it off as alearning experience.

Are there absolutely no RCs that might be sold as "LSD" that wouldn't have a strong bitter taste? Like I know there are a number of RCs sold as "LSD", some of which can fit on normal-looking blotter in active doses - I have seen photos of tested samples. I would speculate that it's possible that dosages of up to 10mg or more might be able to fit on fairly average-size cardstock blotter. Do all of these have a noticeably bitter or otherwise strong (chemical etc) taste? Obviously we can't know what the OP took, but I am wondering if it's fair to say that it has to be LSD and can only be due to set and setting.

As for the possibility of LSD containing contaminants due to things like poor synthesis or degredation, I don't think you can say that an active quantity couldn't possibly get onto a blotter, who knows what amateur LSD cooks are up to and just because the active dose of LSD is miniscule doesn't mean that they aren't using liquid that contains a small amount of LSD and larger amounts of other crap, right? I dunno, it's hard to find good detailed analysis of LSD samples from recent times that would indicate whether or not it was possible for something sold as "LSD" to contain enough impurities that they could have an effect, aside from when it's a completely different drug being sold as "LSD". And it's hard to even find out the properties of potential impurities, different isomers, etc. I can only find vague outdated info, like research described by Siva Sankar back in 1975 that found that of 515 samples, 44% contained LSD with two or more contaminants, or were mixtures of intermediate chemicals resulting from a failed synthesis of LSD. sekio are you confident that such contaminants can't do anything?

On the subject of bitterness, even though many people like to say real LSD is completely tasteless, I have always found LSD to have a lingering metallic, very slightly bitter taste for me, so I think the bitterness taste test is not a great one, unless you have something that is a very bitter taste then you can assume it may not be LSD. Which is what I thought the OP meant, just that intense bitterness (which wasn't present) is a common indication that something is amiss, not that it's actually the best test for LSD. Tasting it as a test is not a good idea IMO because you are going to be getting whatever it is in your mouth and ingesting it if you taste it. It's impossible to know for certain whether or not you have LSD, let alone the potency of your LSD or if it contains anything other than LSD without sending it to a good lab (which probably isn't very easy at all for most people, especially if you wanted to know how pure it was). The Ehrlich reagent test should generally give a good indication as to the presence of LSD or other indoles (but can't differentiate), which is limited but much better than nothing.

Why would anyone go through the trouble the make bad or fake acid? Because it is profitable.

There's no such thing as clean and unclean acid. It's either LSD or its not.

You had an uncomfortable trip. It happens. It's a myth that LSD can lead to jitters and anxiety.

see everybody says this but I've had 'lavender acid' that glows orange under a blacklight not the normal blue-white and its a speedyer trip with much faster moving visuals

Not everyone is equally sensitive to bitter tastes, and ink could play a role, it is subjective - the bitterness scale may be a bit 1-dimensional (though I think that being able to taste bitterness depends on the morphology of taste protein receptors - which is genetic - and whether certain bitter compounds can fit in them, but how many bitter compounds are there and how many forms of taste proteins? I believe this is the main cause for differences in food appreciation apart from acquired taste). Anyway I think that is nothing to go on.

Bad tasting LSD in my experience is rather soapy. I have had different batches that tasted awful in that same soapy way, but 'unclean' effects were not really consistent with the soapy tasting LSD. Though the unclean effects were IMO consistent with certain batches. I have an LSD batch that I have little doubts about to be unclean and unfavorable. I don't take it anymore.
Normally I do not respond to rumors about batches with certain prints but I was at the time led to believe that these might be non-LSD ergoloid blotters so that ruins this example. However in general I would find it hard to let go of the belief that some batches have high tendency to produce unclean effects, and those effects seem too physically straining to me to remain in the placebo realm (but I would not suppose that I could actually step entirely out of the placebo realm without double blind testing ;) )
LSD in general can feel metallic or produce other sensations in the mouth.

I don't dismiss the possibility that synthesis impurities may have similar potency for side-effects as LSD, because I am not so sure if LSD's potency as a psychedelic makes it impossible for unspecified ergoloids to have potency in the dosage range for these side-effects, by themselves or by modulation of some action on the nerves from LSD.
We know that people get these bad physical effects at low quantities of ergoloids, by that I mean that even if you assume that it is caused by LSD you acknowledge the fact that there is an ergoloid that can do this. Assuming that it has to be LSD seems to mean assuming that the effects observed are secondary to whatever LSD does in it's broad pharmacological actions. I just don't know that we have enough information to conclude this.

Last edited:
LSD has no taste. As solipsis said you can develop a metallic taste in your mouth. A bitter taste is either from it being laid in alcohol, the ink from a blotter picture, or a different chemical.

LSD having no taste is I think a myth. The quantity is just very small. I think this has been refuted by Shulgin or some other psy/chem authority figure.

At least this is something: http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=2111

DMT Nexus said:
I recall Sasha Shulgin saying that his assistant tasted crystalline Sandoz acid directly, and it was bitter, not tasteless.

Last edited:
LSD having no taste is I think a myth. The quantity is just very small. I think this has been refuted by Shulgin or some other psy/chem authority figure.

I (literally - my room is a mess!) unburied my copy of PIHKAL and in it he says:

One periodically hears some lecturer holding forth on the subject of psychedelic drugs, and you may hear him give voice to that old rubric that LSD is an odorless, colorless and tasteless drug. Don't believe it. Odorless yes, and colorless when completely pure, yes, but tasteless, no. It is slightly bitter.

After re-reading my post I realized it was a little bit frantic and nonsensical. I had been smoking and I had to run out the door before I could look at it. Sorry haha :/

I have never bought an Ehrlich test, I take a risk. Any drug with an amphetamine skeleton is bitter. Nbome's could be active in doses that we probably couldn't even taste, but they have to be complexed with hpbcd to be absorbed, so they always taste quite bitter. Bromo Dragonfly and the DOx's are pretty bulky compounds in comparison, they are always extremely bitter in my experience. There are many more chemicals that could fit on a regular sized blotter, but I haven't come across any of them knowingly. I do not avoid these drugs, I am open to experiencing whatever might be on the blotter, as stupid as that may sound. I won't be using any psychedelic drugs for a while though xD

And yes, blotter paper can be a little bitter from random stuff like alcohol and ink, when I say bitter I mean there is a larger quantity of some kind of extremely bitter chemical. I usually experience a slight tingle on my tongue from real acid as well. That quote about shulgin is interesting. There must be an awesome story behind that.

I really made the trip out to be worse than it was though. It was a usual mild lsd trip with the added feeling that I had poisoned myself. I even vomited at one point when we started to smoke some weed. Not usual.

I figured not much was known about those questions at the end, but thank alot for such awesome and extensive input. I love bluelight :)

I have to agree with Solipsis. I've had "LSD" that distinctly felt "unclean" to me and made me feel sick, it wasn't just a challenging trip.

Also my partner says LSD tastes like alum, which I thought was a surprisingly precise description - a sort of astringent slightly metallic taste (as opposed to a normal bitterness).

Mods. Can we centralise these kind of threads? They pop up every day with the same questions: is what I took LSD? Was my acid unclean? Did I take an 'RC'.

That's not what I asked.

The hits tasted clean, just like good acid tastes (kind of like licking a 9volt battery but to a lesser extent). And then I felt like I poisoned myself. That's my story, sorry if you didn't like it man.

I've experimented with most of the RCs that are commonly sold as acid, I'm not trying to identify the dang blotters.

Last edited:
That can happen with acid. It alters perception including that of body and health.

Basically what I'm saying is that you took acid and didn't have a great trip. That's the risk you take. The stuff doesn't come with a 'good trip guarantee', despite what some advocates might suggest.

I find it hilarious how little so many people here understand about how our minds work. If you take acid and have even a sliver of doubt that it is acid, that thought train can bring you into a bad or intense experience very quickly.

The bitterness of RC's such an nbomes is an excruciatingly powerful bitter taste that stays in your mouth for the duration of the trip. Drinking water makes you taste it more. If LSD is bitter it's either because of the solvent, or ink on the paper. Methanol has a bitter taste to it, but it goes away pretty rapidly.

It's all in your heads most of the time. THAT'S the power of acid.

Basically, not only is the following a myth:

LSD = Good, 'RC' = Bad

Clean vs. dirty acid is a myth too.

I find it hilarious how little so many people here understand about how our minds work. If you take acid and have even a sliver of doubt that it is acid, that thought train can bring you into a bad or intense experience very quickly.
I can't speak for the OP, but for me I don't think that was really the case. I'm very aware of the power of the mind and times when I felt like LSD might have been impure were not times where I was worrying it might not be real LSD or anything like that. I was very experienced with LSD and with being able to mentally handle intense things like someone dying while I was peaking on acid (this actually happened). The experiences that led me to question afterwards if the acid could have been impure in some way were not "bad trips".

Basically, not only is the following a myth:

LSD = Good, 'RC' = Bad

No one said that. But it's a fact that some RCs are sold as "LSD" and that they can have different effects from LSD.

Clean vs. dirty acid is a myth too.
Why are you so confident in that? LSD can have impurities. How do you know that those impurities can't possibly have physical and/or psychological effects?

^ The same way I can be sure that there isn't a small china teapot in orbit around mars - I can't. However nothing to my knowledge has ever be found that would explain the 'dirty acid' stories. It's just a way for people to explain away difficult trips rather than looking into their own heads.

How do you know that those impurities can't possibly have physical and/or psychological effects?

because the routes commonly used to synthesize lsd don't make side products that are anywhere near the activity of lsd.

chemically speaking, if you are making LSD from coupling lysergic acid and diethylamine, the possible chemicals you could end up with are this motley crew: (decreasing order of likelyhood)
D-LSD (and L isomer)
D-iso-LSD (and L isomer, essentially inactive, impurity from rearrangement of LSD)
D-lysergic acid (and L isomer, unreacted s.m.)
D-lysergic acid amide (LSA, D isomer active at ~1/10 LSD level, and isomers - L-LSA and D/L-iso-LSA, from poor quality diethylamine as s.m.)
D-lysergic acid ethyl amide (mono-ethyl-LSD, D isomer active at 1/2 to 1/5 LSD level, from poor quality diethylamine as s.m.)
Lumi-LSD/hydroxy-LSD (D-LSD plus UV light plus water) - also LSA and LSE isomers of this too.
2-chloro-LSD (D-LSD plus chlorine) - also LSA and LSE isomers.
ergopeptines (unreacted ergotamine etc from poor quality lysergic acid s.m.)
nor-LSD and other demethylated cmpds (low activity)

Many of these have been shown to be either practically inactive (L-LSD, lumi-LSD) or active at levels far below that of LSD (LSA). It's not like LSD synthesis can suddenly make some other superpotent hallucinogen.

I'll GCMS some blotters one day...