• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

"Mentally Ill and Addicts Smoke Way More"

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Adults experiencing mental illness or a substance use disorder account for nearly 40 percent of all cigarettes smoked

Adults aged 18 or older who experienced any mental illness or who have had a substance use disorder in the past year are more likely to smoke and to smoke more heavily than others according to a new report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).

According to the report, adults experiencing any mental illness or a substance use disorder in the past year represent 24.8 percent of the adult population, but that same group used 39.6 percent of all cigarettes smoked by adults.

In terms of rates of cigarette smoking, 38.3 percent of adults experiencing mental illness or substance use disorders were current smokers as opposed to 19.7 percent of those adults without these conditions. That means that the rate of current cigarette smoking among adults experiencing mental illness or substance use disorders is 94 percent higher than among adults without these disorders.

The report reveals that although people with substance use disorders and no mental disorder constitute only 4.9 percent of adults over age 18, they smoked 8.7 percent of all cigarettes. Similarly, although those who had experienced both mental illness and a substance use disorder represented only 3.8 percent of the population in the past year, they smoked 9.5 percent of all cigarettes.

The report defines any mental illness as any diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder other than a substance use disorder. The report defines a substance use disorder as dependence on or abuse of alcohol or illicit drugs.

“It has long been a public health priority to develop effective smoking prevention and cessation programs,” said SAMHSA Administrator Pamela S. Hyde. “This report highlights a clear disparity. It shows that people dealing with mental illness or substance abuse issues smoke more and are less likely to quit. We need to continue to strengthen efforts to figure out what works to reduce and prevent smoking for people with mental health conditions,” said Administrator Hyde.

To address the high rates of tobacco use among people with mental or substance use disorders, SAMHSA, in partnership with the Smoking Cessation Leadership Center (SCLC), has developed a portfolio of activities designed to promote tobacco cessation efforts in behavioral health care. SAMHSA and the SCLC launched the 100 Pioneers for Smoking Cessation Campaign, which provides support for mental health and substance abuse treatment facilities and organizations to undertake tobacco cessation efforts. This program has been expanded in conjunction with state Leadership Academies for Wellness and Smoking Cessation, whose goal is to reduce tobacco use among those with behavioral health needs. Participating states bring together policymakers and stakeholders (including leaders in tobacco control, mental health, substance abuse, public health, and consumers) to develop a collaborative action plan.

The report, Adults with Mental Illness or Substance Use Disorder Account for 40 Percent of All Cigarettes Smoked, is based on the findings of SAMHSA’s 2009-2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). NSDUH is the primary source of statistical information on the use of illegal drugs, alcohol, and tobacco by the civilian, noninstitutionalized population of the United States aged 12 years or older.

The full report can be viewed at: http://www.samhsa.gov/data/spotlight/Spot104-cigarettes-mental-illness-substance-use-disorder.pdf
http://www.samhsa.gov/newsroom/advisories/1303200023.aspx

I (someone with bad anxiety problems) smoked 73,000 cigarettes give or take in the last 8 years. I'd be interested to hear what a "normal" person (who doesn't have any serious mental problem or addiction etc) usually smokes. From the friends I've met who do or did smoke, they seem to smoke 1-5/day tops (unless it's a party, but even then like 10 tops if that rarely).

Plus nicotine is a very, or relatively speaking, socially acceptable medium for habitual use as a coping mechanism (and it seems to work well at that, assuming it's available and it doesn't hamper/kill you too much physically speaking)

well addiction is also people medicating themselves, it happens when people no longer trust 'the system' or their gps and who's to blame them, if you look up PTSD on Wiki it mentions this too.

I don't consider myself normal as I'm bipolar and for the past 4 years, I smoke a minimum of a pack a day. When I worked a regular job, I didn't smoke nearly as much. More recently working at the homeless shelter we had loads of mental health consumers. I think out of over 200 clients, only a small handful did not smoke cigarettes. So I tend to believe this study rings some truth.

I used to chew a half a can of dip and smoke 8-10 cigs a day. Thats alot of nicotine. I am bipolar as well.

well addiction is also people medicating themselves, it happens when people no longer trust 'the system' or their gps and who's to blame them, if you look up PTSD on Wiki it mentions this too.

absolutely, that's kinda what I was getting at. but even on top of that, the trust thing aside, I have to say that cigs and opioids do a really really good job of making it super easy to control my anxiety as well as a number of other more pain/nerve related problems. but I just got to the point where I hated smoking. it's not like these people even did so much as to give me the stink eye, but it's hard when you're a heavy smoker to get close in any sense to a lot of people when they don't smoke whatsoever or lightly smoke.

iono, it got to the point where it felt like I was becoming a pariah largely because of the smoking. part of that undoubtedly was me believing I was and thus acting like one, but regardless of my reasons quitting has too many benefits to name. for instance, I used to skate a lot. like every day for min two hours. once I started smoking this became impossible. getting into shape is a great excuse to stop smoking :)

I'm excited all the less limiting coping mechanisms I'm exploring for my condition(s) in giving up nicotine (one thing I've learned, it really isn't just smoking, it's specifically the nicotine, as I've gone for long periods of time not smoking on the patch and yet I haven't improved this much so quickly and noticed so much changing). but I digress... wait, what was I talking about again?

I must be an exception then because I'm very depressed (as in don't want to live) and I don't smoke at all.

I must be an exception then because I'm very depressed (as in don't want to live) and I don't smoke at all.

Not at all! Most depressed and anxious people I know, or people with mental illness generally, most of them don't smoke. That said, I know a lot of people w/ mental illness(es) that smoke waaaaaay more than most of the people I know without them who smoke.

It's no firm and fast rule across the board, that's for sure. But also, I don't think they're arguing that if you have a mental illness you smoke. I don't even think they're arguing that you're more likely to smoke if you have a mental illness than if you didn't. Rather, they're arguing that, if you have a mental illness, and if you smoke, you probably smoke a lot more than the average person who smokes but doesn't have a mental illness.

p.s. smoking is probably the worst way to kill yourself... it's up there with over-eating. slow, agonizing death, if you ask me at least. your best off doing some activities that generate adrenaline and don't directly injure other people. iono, I really don't, depressions a bitch

Does that make sense? (genuine question as I'm very gullible and the internet is impersonal enough that I often miss certain social ques... or something like that)

That's fucking depressed. Post in the dark side.

YES! I should have suggested this. Plus it's more fun over there whenever I'm depressed... Like hearing about how fucked up everyone else is puts thing in perspective a little, and even if it doesn't, at least it's more interesting than reading these posts. If I didn't have so many problems with the "recovery industry" (not implying BL is in any way affiliated, just, well, it's neither here nor there atm) I'd probably spend more time in TDS like I did when I was a lurker way back when. Great forum1

Best. Advice. Ever.

p.s. smoking is probably the worst way to kill yourself... it's up there with over-eating. slow, agonizing death,)

True!! I'm an alcoholic with PTSD and have smoked at least 2 packs of Marlboro Reds since September 1978. Just had surgery for throat cancer. It's no fun.
My wife on the other hand is "normal" (no discernible mental health issues) and she still smokes but she has no more than 4 maybe 5 cigarettes a day.

After reading through and skimming through the posts above i'm inclined to believe that there may be some truth to this as well. Like the OP I also suffer with some quite severe anxiety issues and have had periods of depression for a long time now and i've had a 20 a day habit (give or take) for about 6 years.

^I've been seeing a lot of respectable studies and research this year about the connection and efficacy between treatment for serious mental patients and smoking/nicotine. Does seem like they're on to something.

Plus, I mean wtf is normal? Granted most people are not severely mentally ill, but I don't think I've ever met a normal person either. Different in degree, in other words, not in kind. We're all fucked up - mentally ill - normal - whatever you want to call it to some degree. Although, thinking about the shit I deal with and that so many other people deal with seems like that last statement is bs, I still cling to that belief (it's part of my glorious worldview after all).

I dated a girl who smokes 1 cig per day, no problem, although she doesn't seem to intend to quit (and has a hard time when she doesn't get her one smoke in as it's what makes her need too poop and who wants to give that up?!).

Nicotine has a lot of benefits I mean. Genuine benefits.

For me it's a coping mechanism that I don't feel like going into too deeply (it's not complicated).
For her it was the ability of one cigarette (especially if you only smoke once/day) to make her need to take a crap, an event no less significant than Christmas - or cause we're jewish, hanukkah or passover...
For others it's probably similar but different...

As I keep saying, nicotine and the act of smoking can be very, very therapeutic. Especially if you're addicted to them, aren't in a setting where people judge you for it and/or do not strongly associate each puff with death - a jewish boy has enough self-hatred in suburban america, trust me, he don't need that brought on by his previous inability to quit smoking... but I digress (again)

Living like a monk, reading a lot of great previously unknown lit, taking my bupe, having certain gabaergic drugs available for serious attacks/episodes where it flares up and getting a lot of outdoor time and exercise (plus the chantix at first of course) seems like it's gonna make it possible to finalllly stop smoking... Plus the right attitude toward cigarettes of course, as I genuinely hate when I smoke. The shitty emotional fallout of that aside, it does make not smoking, especially on the chantix a lot "easier"

For people who might look into chantix, just an fyi, if you have serious issues related to depression, anxiety, suicide, etc, you need to carefully monitor your meds. I had to lower the dose as, once it built up in my system, it seems to give me serious panic attacks in situations I'd never normally experience them. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who has issues with suicide. Depression, yea, cause that's another problem of my own, but man... I guess I should be happy with what I got, no? Of course there is always more...

Moral? There are a lot of positive AND a lot of negative things about smoking. Ultimately the bad, I think for most of us, tend to out weigh the good. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone, just generally... My rule of thumb is that the more "fucked up" your life is, the more likely you're apt to smoke more than people normally do (and get severely addicted to smoking/nicotine in the physical and mental senses).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a recovering addict. Most I smoked was 2.5-3 packs a day Newport 100s. Now that I'm clean I smoke between 1-2 packs daily.

I always couldn't help but think, although I do get the point, how funny it kinda was being deep in the formal recovery lifestyle and smoking so, so much more than I ever did, as well as drink coffee (I normally strongly dislike caffeine although I do appreciate a good coffee/espresso/cupa). Iono...

I guess my case is somewhat odd though, because I hated smoking. The more I smoked the more I hated smoking (and, alas, myself to a certain degree). I just couldn't control myself with smoking though. It was the definition of compulsion, in a way I never experienced with any drug other than nicotine (well, and maybe coke, but other than that one summer as a late teen I am not a coke fan, but I digress). So you can imagine how I feel now not smoking. Still can't believe I stopped, but frankly I wouldn't have been able to w/o the Chantix (I have gone for long periods not smoking but using the patch; for me it is a whole different world without any nicotine in my system, or it was at first).

I did the math the other day. In the 8-9 years I have been smoking, I smoked about 73,000 cigarettes for a total of about $21,000... ugh, not like I even thought about this past year one of smoking, so it wouldn't have made any difference thinking about it, but now a good bit into not smoking it's like, wow. W.O.W. wow. The crazy thing is, and I credit this largely to Chantix, that after getting over the hump and actually quitting, I don't think about cigarettes or smoking. Ever. No cravings (to speak of, strictly speaking, I do not crave cigarettes, although I certainly crave other things like relief from anxiety etc, although thankfully not heroin either but again I digress).

Not smoking has been such a therapeutic experience though. Health benefits aside, the "best" thing it's done for me is make me realize how significant my other issue(s) are. Namely, anxiety problems. Now that I realize this though I'm actually able, for the first time in my life it feels like, well at least since I started smoking, that I can actually begin to get these underlying/foundational issues addressed...

Chantix obviously affected me strongly and the side effects have been pronounced (namely worsening of anxiety/panic attacks/episodes, although it's hard to distinguish the anxiety I actually have with the indirect if no less severe anxiety of not being able to rely on the one main coping mechanism I established - and frankly the only real one - I have so far developed in adult life). I kinda worry that the effects I have from Chantix will be permanent, but realistically I don't think that'll happen. It's just gonna be a long (but much more successful and productive) road ahead....

I'm sure myself and everyone else recognizes the reality of these statistics anecdotally from our own personal experience.