• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Day #7 of morphine withdrawal, and I'm bored senseless.

Timber

Bluelighter
Its not like I don't have a ton of stuff to do either. I have all kinds of things that not only could be done, but many that need to be done, and today I'm struggling to summon the slightest bit of care or interest. That has never been my normal.

Other than my GI system still being unhappy, and a little bit of the hot/cold/hot/cold -- the worst of the worst is probably over. I wish I still had another couple days to lay around and not do much, but I can't completely do that today (3 things I have to do -- 5 hours or so of faking it for the world - 1 short class, 1 lab, and pick up my truck from the shop), and have to get back into a heavy grind in a day or two no matter what with school things. I cannot bend time; that decision is removed from me. Nor can I afford to delay decision for another date; that decision is also removed from me. This is my 3rd time trying to get off of this, and I don't want to repeat all of this again. The first attempt taught me what I needed (and didn't have), the second -- taught me the nerve pain in my spine isn't substantially any better on or off of it -- so why bother? Made the mistake of thinking it might help in a severe enough flare of spine pain. So no point in any of that. Its only effective purpose is to get high with, and I can't do that without getting dependent on it.

Probably wasn't the wisest idea trying to quit smoking cigarettes at the same time. Ironically I crave those more than anything else, and they are the lest useful & least enjoyable of habits. I figured if I was already going to feel lousy ...

I'm wondering how long this general feeling of malaise will last. Not with the withdrawal -- that will be over by day 10 or so, but the general feeling of apathy.

It took me 6 weeks to get over the complete loss of interest in all things related to life. But I also took Ibogaine which might have helped expedite my recovery.

How long was your habit?

Its been 11 years and some change, 10 years of that on high dose morphine, oxycodone, dilaudid, and a fair collection of other substances to go with it. Lot of my pain problems became a lot less with an experimental treatment; except they kept giving me the same amounts all of it... I went on a couple year binge of sorts. The types of pain that remain (for the most part) aren't terribly responsive to opioids. I never had any luck with the antidepressants being tolerable or even the anticonvulsants not making me feel like I was in a haze, and had dropped 30 IQ points. I've kind of resigned myself to high dose NSAIDS for the things they do work on, tylenol when needed, and grin and bare the other stuff.

6 weeks would be very bloody unhandy for the apathy phase of things, but I can live with it as long as I know there is some reasonable light at the end of the tunnel on it.

i can't quit using because i'm so bored and anxious i think it's normal for an opiate user

i went through that. It went away for me after about a month or so. Eventually everything becomes fascinating, the complete opposite of the apathy. That's one of the magical things about getting clean from opiates

After about a month things should start to look up for you.

I'm glad to hear the worst is over for you- that great! If you're bored, why not try doing something you enjoy? Maybe going food shopping to get healthy ingredients so you can make something nutritious for yourself? Also, if you're feeling up for exercise I suggest that also. Even if it is just walking because you have pain. A proper diet and exercise/being outdoors can work wonders.

You deserve to treat your body right after years of drug misuse. <3 You will be so thankful that you've gotten clean.

^Yeah, about a month sounds right for me too. It would usually take a fortnight for me to even start sleeping properly so I had that to get passed first but once I was sleeping and eating properly and piling on weight the energy levels went through the roof. I was bouncing about. Felt better than well for a while actually just kinda buzzing with the novelty of being clean and able to do things I wanted without having to worry about where my next fix was coming from. Timber, I was on heroin, daily habit for seven years. Things can improve very rapidly if you can just keep doing the right things and avoid any slips. Sounds like you won't struggle to fill your time at least which is no bad thing. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. Its nice to know there is some light ahead, even if my only motivation to do things at the moment is to avoid dealing with anyone else (which I feel even less like) in person (also not my normal).

I forced myself to biochemistry, forced myself through lab, and a few other tasks. Everything still feels odd about all of it.