• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Tapering with suboxone from recent opiate use after long term Sub maintenance

iverson1st

Greenlighter
Ok first of all the title might be a little confusing but I will explain & I have also researched but havent really come up with anything specific to my question. Let me start with a little background. Im a 26 year old male, I started my opiate use (specifically oxy's & roxy's intranasal) at about the age of 19 & was on them continuously for about 5 years. In 2010 I decided I had enough of it & went to treatment to try to get my life back. Everything went well in treatment, I actually enjoyed being there because I really wanted to be successful. While in treatment I was put on suboxone for withdrawal, as many treatment centers do, & the doctor I saw while there recommended I continue the suboxone treatment once I left the 30 day impatient program. I followed his orders & once I got out I found a doctor in my area. Now I was already familiar with suboxone, as I had seen a doctor for a couple months back in 2007 & also went to another treatment center in that same year (at that time I was not ready to quit, I was just doing it to please my family). When I was at that treatment center I was on suboxone for detox for about 5 days. A day or two after I was out of detox & put into my group at that center I began to start feeling withdrawal symptoms again. I wasnt sure why because I thought that was the purpose of the suboxone but I didnt know enough about it to know it doesnt eliminate withdrawals completely. So for almost 2 more weeks I had the symptoms, although not as bad as coming off the opiates cold turkey, but still not the most comfortable thing either. The mental aspect didnt really play into my discomfort in that situation because at the time I thought the suboxone was going to 'cure' the withdrawals & that I should be fine. Nowdays I know the suboxone doesnt eliminate withdrawals completely so I know mentally I probably make it worse on myself because I know this. So once out of the second treatment center in 2010 I continued my suboxone with a local doctor & was on it until about last October, so about 2 years overall. During that time, about a year ago I relapsed for a couple months but was able to pull myself together & stop. I worked my way down to 1.5 to 2 mgs/day with the doctor I was seeing. Last November I relapsed again. This time I was using for almost 4 months, up until about 2 weeks ago. During that time I was using anywhere from 4 to 10 roxy 30's a day or 3 to 6 opana 15's when I could get my hands on them. I would say as an average, I was doing 7 Roxys a day or around 200mg/day. This was constant all throughout this 4 month binge, with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 days here or there when I didnt have any money so I just took the suboxone I had. I was still going to my sub doctor during this time, I just wasnt taking the subs & was failing drug tests left & right. After rescheduling appoinments constantly, about 3 weeks ago my suboxone doctor decided to discharge me. I used the opitates up until last week & I started back on suboxone with the intentions of getting into another doctor. I got myself into a lot of debt in this 4 month binge & I have no intention of relapsing again. After reading/hearing about the hells of getting off of suboxone after long term use (in my case 2 years) I have now decided I do not want to go to another doctor & I just want to use the suboxone to taper down. So my question is: during this 4 month binge, do you think that was enough time for the suboxone I had been on for two years to get out of my system? In other words, did I get my body off of the suboxone & back onto the oxycodone? Even though I put myself into a lot of debt during this time, I hope that this is the case because of the hells of long term suboxone use. My hope is that the suboxone got out of my system & I can now use some suboxone to taper down off of the oxycodone & do this as comfortably as possible, as I have a job & I cannot afford to miss ANY time, but I know I also cant function in full on, balls to the wall withdrawal. I just dont want to waste or throw away any more of my life or money on pills & just want to get off of everything as comfortably as possible. Ive taken suboxone since tuesday of last week. Starting at 6mg the first couple days, then moving down to 5mg & Im now at 4. Ive read somewhere not to take suboxone for more than about 20 days. So another question I have, if my body has in fact detoxed from the suboxone I had in my system while on my 4 month opiate binge, is the statement about not doing suboxone for more than about 20 days true? I just want to use it to detox, & I dont want to use it too long to get it back in my system & have withdrawals from it. I have access to suboxone so I can get what I need, as I need it. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some background information & detailed information on what Im trying to do because I am VERY serious about this & I want to be successful. Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Just decrease your dose by 1/2 every 3-4 days until you have reached .125mg and then stop.

^^

I didn't read your whole post as that massive block of words is a bit of an eyesore (might wanna consider breaking your posts up into paragraphs in the future. You'll get a better response), but this is good advice for any taper. It's an effective way to get off the bupe and still be fairly comfortable doing it.