Failure to appear for a traffic ticket

antEater

Bluelighter
Okay, here's my story. I'm located in Irvine, Orange County, CA, USA.
On 6/3/02, I received a traffic ticket for crossing a double yellow line. It said to appear before the judge before 7/3 if I wanted to protest. Well, I was going to but I got lazy. So I figured that they would send me a packet saying what to do if you're not going to show up there.
Along comes 7/24, and I receive a postcard saying that because I didn't appear and I didn't pay my "bail" on time, the new bail is 450$ and I have some sort of misdemeanor or something.
My question is, if I go in front of the judge and say that I never received the packet telling me what to do if I didn't appear, and I tell him I can pay whatever the old "bail" was, which I'm assuming is like 100$-150$ at that moment, would it be reasonable to assume that he would let me off the hook with the lower fine?

No. Your ticket gives you instructions on what you have to do. I doubt you'll get any slack, but what have you got to loose (besides the court fee)?
Try talking to the traffic court and see.
[ 26 July 2002: Message edited by: Exx_head ]

That's the thing (and I may have to double-check), but the ticket says you can show up to the court to fight the ticket, or if not, there's nothing indicated on the ticket. They mail you a packet. And I can say that I never recieved the packet.

The ticket should have your court date on it along with an explanation of what happens when you miss a court date. The law does not accept ignorance of the law as an excuse.

also, they will just say 'why didn't you call and ask?'. it's not their fault you were lazy.

Go to the traffic court, make acourt date, appear at the court date. Just tell the judge the truth, unless you've got a horrible record traffic judges will usually reduce the fine or outright dismiss your first FTA. BTW, get it taken care of quickly, because the DMV will get hold of the FTA soon and your licence will be suspended.

are you sure it didnt say appear in court or mail in payment? usually if you mail in payment you arent expected in court.

Just to put some closure on this...
Went to the courthouse on Monday, got in to see the judge, plead guilty, he reduced the fine back down to the original fine and we were done. An hour or two out of my life, but it's taken care of.
Thanks for the advice everyone :)