• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Still on Suboxone, worried my kids will end up like me

JackiePeyton

Ex-Bluelighter
Here's the deal, been on suboxone for way too long, I guess it is going on 10 years. I wanted to be off before they were old enough to know what I was taking and my oldest can now read, so I just try not to take it around her. I am on 2 mg a day and kinda stuck there. Anyway, I know I can get there, but it is just taking forever. My worry is when I read about kids dying from overdoses and such. My girlfriend's son died of an OD around the time we were doing H as well. I never told her I was doing it then too, not like we were connected; but I had heard her son was taking drugs, it just wasn't the son who OD'd. Anyway, I digress. I see bad habits starting with regard to attitudes about medication. My only thought is to educate the kids about how to handle situations where drugs come up. Talk it through with them. Then if they want to do drugs, talk about why and what they want to do. I never had that growing up, it was just "don't do it or we'll kick your ass" then when I did some drinking they threw me out at 15 and moved to another stated without telling me. Luckily I had enough support to make it on my own. I want my kids to be happy and have a good life. I don't care if they smoke some pot, but I really would like it if they didn't do what I have. I don't think there is an answer to this, but as people who have been there, how do we raise our kids?

It sounds like your kids are still a few years off needing to be talked to seriously about drugs.

The best you could do at the moment would be to keep the subs out of their reach and if asked by a curious child, tell them it's your medicine and leave it at that.

If I had children I'd want to raise them with the knowledge that they are free to do drugs, but to let me know what they are doing in case something happens. I'd be open about what I have done and been through and hope that that knowledge would keep them from doing anything too stupid and reckless.

The title of your post pulled me in.
It seems like you are trying to be a good parent.
One thing that sucks about life is that sometimes no matter what we do, we have no control over what happens.

You can come from a broken home and end up with a habit.
You can come from a loving, caring home and end up with a habit.

Education is key, along with keeping the lines of communication open.
You can't control your kids future, but if you help give them the tools to succeed they will be one step closer to making better choices.

The title of your post pulled me in.
It seems like you are trying to be a good parent.
One thing that sucks about life is that sometimes no matter what we do, we have no control over what happens.

You can come from a broken home and end up with a habit.
You can come from a loving, caring home and end up with a habit.

Education is key, along with keeping the lines of communication open.
You can't control your kids future, but if you help give them the tools to succeed they will be one step closer to making better choices.

I agree with this- very well said.

Educate your children. Just because you're on suboxone does not mean they will grow up having to take the drug. Upbringing may or may not be a factor.

For example, I was brought up in the all-American family and have drug addiction issues. I have known people who have been raised in a house that was full of drugs/alcohol and have not developed any substance abuse issues.

You're doing a good job by being maintained at a low dosage, congratulations for being clean for so many years and having kids. :)

I wouldn't worry about anything else, and just take it one day at a time.