• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does the pain ever end? How can I stop thinking about opiates?

King-Anubis

Bluelighter
Hey everyone!

Just a quick rundown of my rather mild encounter with opiates: At first it was co-codamol 30/500 for a couple of weeks, then I moved onto percocets 5/512. I never got onto the really high doses, it was more for pain relief then anything. Whilst on opiates I'd also take anti-inflamatories such as ibuprofen and aspirin (which lead to that unfortunate hospitalisation incident) to add to the perceived pain relief. When not on opiates I'd use paracetamol instead.

Anyway, A week after being put on aripiprazole (just over a week ago) I decided to get out while I still could and threw away all my opiates. The next day was hell, but in comparison to some it seemed quite mild. Two days ago I took my last dose of nicotine (after a week binge) and OTC painkillers (after 'tapering' down to try and reduce the mental need) but now my whole body aches. I'm beyond restless, have huge amounts of anxiety, blurred vision, feel extremely weak (this might just be my vitamin D and folic acid deficiencies I've recently found out about) and am just generally struggling to keep going. All I can think about is opiates, and I'm wondering if it'll ever end. My legs in particular have this bizarre sensation that bugs me permanently. I'm terrified that this is what's 'normal' and opiates have made me think otherwise. Do anyone have any experience with this? Thank you :)

EDIT: I should say, these day's I just take quetiapine every few hours and sleep as much as I can to try and get rid of the pain.

It ends :) I quit a massive habit about bit more than a month ago. Expect your body to feel like crap for a while. And your emotions may be all over the place as well. I have found exercise to be the most beneficial by far in my recovery - i just went to the gym and although i am lacking in energy i forced myself to run for 20 mins. Also if you have a local sauna or steam-room, this does wonders. I used valium during my detox and that helped but it has now just added another thing to withdraw from so avoid it if you can. Another drug that helps is clonidine, you can check it out on the internet and ask your doctor about it.

Also there is supplements such as phenylalinine, tyrosine, Vitamin B-5, citicholine, l-pyroglutamate, acetyl-l-carnitine and melatonin to help with brain returning to normal function... See:

http://www.restoreunity.org/brain_regeneration_in_heroin_addiction.htm

I know you didn't mention heroin but in general most full agonist opiates have the same mechanism of action.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply :) I've found that exercise does help a little too so i've been walking everywhere I can - got me to know London much better too. I'll ask my doctor about clonidine when I next see them, although that could be a week or so, so it might not be worth starting.

I'm going to go out and by some of those supplements too, and see if they'll help. Thanks for letting me know about them :)

Yup, those are the physical withdrawals unfortunately. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and you'll be done with them in a few days. Something stupid and simple that really helps for me is taking nice long baths to just calm myself and my body down...it actually makes a surprising difference. Pamper yourself for a few days and just know it'll be over soon :)
As for the psychological withdrawals, as aussie said exercising is extremely helpful - just keep yourself as busy as possible so that your mind stays off drugs.

I was hooked on hydrocodone for four months (massive doses) and I decided to quit because my tolerance got way too high...I went cold turkey and after a few days of extreme discomfort, I felt better. I forced myself to walk everyday, and that really helped.

The pain does go away eventually. So do the cravings. And like Pagey said, long baths really help...the hot water soaks those annoying muscle cramps away. I would stay in the bath for hours.

Also, I found that drinking lots of grape juice and eating organic vegetable soothe the body.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better knowing that it'll end eventually. I do wish I could have a bath, but there's only showers here at university halls unfortunately :( As for grape juice... I've been eating grapes by the kilo since stopping! :D That and orange juice. Not sure if its doing anything but I'm certainly miles healthier now then I was then :) Again, thanks everyone.

Hey everyone!

Just a quick rundown of my rather mild encounter with opiates: At first it was co-codamol 30/500 for a couple of weeks, then I moved onto percocets 5/512. I never got onto the really high doses, it was more for pain relief then anything. Whilst on opiates I'd also take anti-inflamatories such as ibuprofen and aspirin (which lead to that unfortunate hospitalisation incident) to add to the perceived pain relief. When not on opiates I'd use paracetamol instead.

Anyway, A week after being put on aripiprazole (just over a week ago) I decided to get out while I still could and threw away all my opiates. The next day was hell, but in comparison to some it seemed quite mild. Two days ago I took my last dose of nicotine (after a week binge) and OTC painkillers (after 'tapering' down to try and reduce the mental need) but now my whole body aches. I'm beyond restless, have huge amounts of anxiety, blurred vision, feel extremely weak (this might just be my vitamin D and folic acid deficiencies I've recently found out about) and am just generally struggling to keep going. All I can think about is opiates, and I'm wondering if it'll ever end. My legs in particular have this bizarre sensation that bugs me permanently. I'm terrified that this is what's 'normal' and opiates have made me think otherwise. Do anyone have any experience with this? Thank you :)

EDIT: I should say, these day's I just take quetiapine every few hours and sleep as much as I can to try and get rid of the pain.

Tbh I do not think the pain of being a addict and the want for drugs every goes away. I have been clean from stims ( but nothing else) for 5 years and as MDMA was my DOC i miss the fuck out of it. All i can think about is the bliss of a roll. Day in day out. Its actually gotten worse as times past not better.

im sure this is not the answer you wanted but im blunt. For you it may be easier. Best of luck

If what you mean "pain" is physical one, it will stop in 7-30 day, no matter codeine to heroin, it is the same, but what is coming after the physical pain, you might find out what is like to be in hell.