• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Abusing my prescription :S

Rabbitheart

Greenlighter
Hi, newbie here, so I'm sorry if I say something I shouldn't!
I'm a student who has chronic depression, ADHD and an eating disorder.
I was using coke quite a bit a while back but it's not exactly student budget friendly. So when I could no longer afford that habit, I began abusing my Ritalin, which I'm prescribed for my ADHD.
At first I just snorted my regular dose, but things escalated really fast, and just 3 months or so later I do it every single day, Often with alcohol, going through my months prescription in no time. I feel ill and can't function when I don't have it.
Has anyone else been addicted to Ritalin? How did you overcome it?
I hate this :(

God I really wish they wouldn't give out ritalin to people who take advantage of it like you.

I think you should tell your doctor you're abusing it because you obviously can't handle being prescribed stimulants like that, so hopefully he'll cut you off if he has any sense. But I think we both know that's unlikely to happen!

You might enjoy taking it now but in the future when you suffer serious health problems down the road like cardiovascular problems and risk death at an early age you'll wish you'd never fucked around with it in the first place. You might want to contact a substance misuse physician who can help you overcome your proclivity to abuse drugs in general.

Good luck mate, you'll need it! I mean that genuinely.

I've only taken Ritalin a few times but I've very much abused my benzo and opiate scripts in the past so I can still relate. What I did was I came forward to my doctor and told him the truth so that he'd stop prescribing them to me. I didn't want to do it, but I forced myself and trust me, I felt so proud to have managed it and that really helped me get clean off the benzos.
Another thing you could try is having someone (parent, friend...) keep your Ritalin for you an only give it to you when you need it so that you can't be abusing it on your own.

God I really wish they wouldn't give out ritalin to people who take advantage of it like you.

Wow, is the air thin up there on your high horse? Just to clarify, I've been on and off Ritalin since I was 8 years old, and it's always been incredibly helpful and positive for me. So I didn't just go 'Shit! Need a cheap alternative!' and run off to get a prescription with intent to 'take advantage' of it. It just happened.

TCM Vegas and Pagey, thanks for the advice! Yeah I think cutting off my prescription is the only way to go, as I live in a share house and have no one to give it to. I'll try and do it at my appointment next week! Thank you :)

I think cutting off my prescription is the only way to go, as I live in a share house and have no one to give it to. I'll try and do it at my appointment next week! Thank you :)

I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that you had arrived at this conclusion :)
I have rigorously abused prescriptions for Concerta/Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine and Desoxyn in the past.

I know that in my experience as an addict, manipulating myself and others into the conditions necessary for me to keep my poison rituals going was child's play and, for many years, was a no-brainer!

Removing the source of your self-destruction is the first and most important (and most difficult!) step you can take if you wish to free yourself from the bondage of the speed addiction. From there on out, your brain and body will find the respite necessary to appreciate and be grateful for the absence of that habit from your life.

I cannot wait for you to discover the wondrous world that lies ahead of you; I am proud of you, Rabbitheart!!

Continue to be well.

~ Vaya

Stop going to the doctor, that's the easiest way to stop getting the prescription filled is to not get one to fill.

Im pretty new to this site and i need some good advise. My wife and i abuse our scripts. We get opana ir 10s, oxycontin 60s, roxy 30s, perocet 10s, fentanyl patches, klonopin 1s and we do heroin occasionly and weed. friday, i got a package of whatman pvdf .02 um wheel filters in the mail. I dont remember ordering them. This scared me and ive decided that since we are in our mid 50s that its time to quit this crazy lifetyle. how do we go about quitting, tapering down and stopping this shit? We have been doing drugs all our lives and for the first time we are really scared. Any comments and advise would be appreciated!

Hi, newbie here, so I'm sorry if I say something I shouldn't!
I'm a student who has chronic depression, ADHD and an eating disorder.
I was using coke quite a bit a while back but it's not exactly student budget friendly. So when I could no longer afford that habit, I began abusing my Ritalin, which I'm prescribed for my ADHD.
At first I just snorted my regular dose, but things escalated really fast, and just 3 months or so later I do it every single day, Often with alcohol, going through my months prescription in no time. I feel ill and can't function when I don't have it.
Has anyone else been addicted to Ritalin? How did you overcome it?
I hate this :(

Yeah I've had a ritalin addiction. And dexamphetamine addiction. I used to snort so many pills i'd go a bit mental, but i'd be really good at maths and science - although my english papers would look like a dogs dinner. If you have been taking them a long time you probably need to taper down until you are using them for the right purpose and not to get a buzz.... I'm at Uni too and have used pretty much anything i can to get through my work, although often having the opposite effect - like going "oh wow i feel so good i might go down to the uni bar" instead of studying/going to class....just be aware of that.

Im pretty new to this site and i need some good advise. My wife and i abuse our scripts. We get opana ir 10s, oxycontin 60s, roxy 30s, perocet 10s, fentanyl patches, klonopin 1s and we do heroin occasionly and weed. friday, i got a package of whatman pvdf .02 um wheel filters in the mail. I dont remember ordering them. This scared me and ive decided that since we are in our mid 50s that its time to quit this crazy lifetyle. how do we go about quitting, tapering down and stopping this shit? We have been doing drugs all our lives and for the first time we are really scared. Any comments and advise would be appreciated!

Please consider posting this as its own thread so that we don't derail this thread from addressing the OP's issue.

Thanks,

~ Vaya

Wow, is the air thin up there on your high horse?

I'm not judging you, I just think it's really stupid for someone like you that uses their medication to get high to be given a powerful amphetamin-like drug.

Anyone that wants to pretend there isn't a massive problem with overprescribing Ritalin/Adderall to people supposedly suffering with ADHD is deluded. Every man and his dog has this disorder these days. I'm not saying it's bullshit but it definitely is massively over diagnosed. I just wish they didn't prescribe these drugs to people like you. You obviously would be better off without it. I'm no doctor but I would bet there's a good chance your doc would cut you off if he had all the facts. It's less your fault than it is of a system that obviously does not work.

Last edited:
Anyone that wants to pretend there isn't a massive problem with overprescribing Ritalin/Adderall to people supposedly suffering with ADHD is deluded. Every man and his dog has this disorder these days. I'm not saying it's bullshit but it definitely is massively over diagnosed. I just wish they didn't prescribe these drugs to people like you. You obviously would be better off without it.

Sounds like judgement to me! I was diagnosed at 7 and wasn't given meds til I was 8, after trying other methods like CBT. and as I said it was ALWAYS positive. I stopped getting in trouble at school and was a happier and less aggressive person. So yes, this disorder is real, I do have it, and It's pretty offensive for some total random to suggest I'm making it up to 'get high'. Yes it's over diagnosed, but that doesn't make it not real for people who do have it.

Sounds like judgement to me! I was diagnosed at 7 and wasn't given meds til I was 8, after trying other methods like CBT. and as I said it was ALWAYS positive. I stopped getting in trouble at school and was a happier and less aggressive person. So yes, this disorder is real, I do have it, and It's pretty offensive for some total random to suggest I'm making it up to 'get high'. Yes it's over diagnosed, but that doesn't make it not real for people who do have it.

You're obviously having a hard time understanding what I've said. I'm NOT saying you are making it up to get high.

And at the end of the day I don't think it really matters if you have ADHD or not. Drugs like Ritalin are obviously not appropriate for someone like you. Whether you have the disorder or not you made the conscious decision to try and get high off your medication and so you should be cut off.

edit: and you can't need it that badly for your ADHD if you're using it to get high because your student budget isn't enough to afford coke 8)

Last edited: