• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone ever had sucess with topamax for benzo/opiate addiction?

truvision

Bluelighter
I recently just had a little relapse with opiates, although for me no relapse seems to be LITTLE any longer. Because of my past abuse with opiates the paws are pretty bad even after a short period of use.My doc just prescribed me topamax for the cravings for opiates. At first I told her NO WAY, cause Ive taken it in the past and it seemed like I remembered that it depressed me.I think that the intent is to block the dopamine pleasure chemical from being as intense when we use.These drugs are NOT smart however, and dont know how to specifically target the dopamine rush you get from using alone.In my experience, the ones that work this way only seem to depress us when we do ANYTHING that is pleasurable so Im not gonna use it for that since Id rather handle the cravings on my own.

Then I did some research on Topamax and found that it is also used for opiate and benzo withdrawals. Because Im about to go through opiate withdrawals again soon,I thought it might be useful just for that alone. Im also on baclofen right now and wanted to get off of that at some point as well and thought maybe it could help if it also works with benzos cause baclofens a close runner up to benzos.I know that baclofen is actually good for opiate withdrawals as well, but I really dont wanna raise the amount that Im taking with that since Ive already found that if I take more baclofen for even one day its hard for me to then lower the amount and I fear that getting off the Baclofen is gonna really suck even more than the opiates.

Due to the side effects I cant take many other meds for withdrawal that have really worked for me in the past (such as neurontin and Lyrica) so I am thinking of only using the dopamax hhe at the very least for the five days of opiate withdrawal.

My question is, has anyone ever used this as a withdrawal aid and do you think I could just take it for the 5 days of the worst of my withdrawals and then quit? I really dont want to add or become dependent on another drug which seems to happen fairly easily for me but I think Im gonna need all the help I can get. Thanks, I know this is kinda a boring subject and drug but any experiences or knowledge about this drug are very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Apparently Topiramate is also used in clinical trials to treat PTSD. Very interesting, I haven't heard a lot about this drug before.

If your doctor recommended it out for you, I'd try it out. If it doesn't work, or you experience negative side effects, let them know immediately by calling them. If you can't reach them, call the pharmacist.

Hey, thats pretty cool and makes me feel a bit better about taking it so thanks for letting me know that.Yea, you know because of the suppression of dopamine it actually is supposed to then raise gaba in the brain so that might actually be useful during withdrawal and in cases such as PTSD. I read one study that said it was even more effective than clonidine for withdrawal so I called my doctor back and said Id try it. I just dont want anything making me wanna blow my brains out even more than Ill already feel like during withdrawal( not really being serious there but you know what I mean). Im not one of these chemistry/ pharmacology wizkids but I do know we have different types of dopamine in the brain and perhaps the type that it suppresses druing withdrawal and stress might actually useful for these types of situations.I think Im gonna give it a go at least for withdrawal and Ill report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Hey, thats pretty cool and makes me feel a bit better about taking it so thanks for letting me know that.Yea, you know because of the suppression of dopamine it actually is supposed to then raise gaba in the brain so that might actually be useful during withdrawal and in cases such as PTSD. I read one study that said it was even more effective than clonidine for withdrawal so I called my doctor back and said Id try it. I just dont want anything making me wanna blow my brains out even more than Ill already feel like during withdrawal( not really being serious there but you know what I mean). Im not one of these chemistry/ pharmacology wizkids but I do know we have different types of dopamine in the brain and perhaps the type that it suppresses druing withdrawal and stress might actually useful for these types of situations.I think Im gonna give it a go at least for withdrawal and Ill report back and let everyone know how it goes.

There's about 1 in 500 people who report suicidal ideation as a severe side effect, meaning they shouldn't take the drug anymore when this happens.

For most people, it won't cause this from my understanding. I got this statistic from this drug's wikipedia page.

You can always try a much smaller dosage at first, so that if you do have any bad reactions or side effects, it won't be too bad for you. :)

And if it doesn't work for you, the fact that you tried it as your doctor recommended will show your doctor that you are trying, and that is really what counts.

Thats funny you said that because I think I can kinda get on doctors nerves sometimes because I always seem to think I know better than they do.8) I just started with this doctor and I really like her so I dont want to give her that impression. Your right Ill start low and if it doesnt work I can always try something else. By the way I love your screen name!

Well ive actually read a few reports of it being used and surprisingly they actually said it was pretty effective, but as far as it being a true comfort med like Neurontin or Lyrica during withdrawals, your right I dont expect that AT ALL. Ill report back and let you know though, cuz hey Im kinda deperate!(-;

Hi,

Unfortunately, this topic isn't really appropriate discussion for The Dark Side, but would fit perfectly in Basic Drug Disusion. I'd suggest reading the TDS-specific forum guidelines for clarification on what is generally discussed, and what generally isn't, here :)

And so, as promised...
TDS ---> BDD

Happy holidays, my friend :D

~ Vaya

Sorry Vaya, I thought since it was gonna be used for opiate addiction it might be right to post here but I apologize as I was a little confused as to where to post. I guess I shouldnt have breezed past the guideline as Im sure far too many do hha.

bagochina- for me and many others Lyrica and Neurontin GREATLY reduced the pain of opiate withdrawal and have found them to both be two of the most soothing meds to the nervous system and for paws.Then again everyones different so what one med does for one most def might not do for another. You all have a happy holiday as well!

I'm prescribed this drug for migraines. I can't comment on it for addiction, but the drug itself is very good. The only side effects I've experienced is drowsiness, mild weight loss, lack of appetite & dry mouth. I'm on 150mg.

I'm interested in your experiences with it for addiction! Keep us updated :) I wish you success.

Sorry Vaya, I thought since it was gonna be used for opiate addiction it might be right to post here but I apologize as I was a little confused as to where to post. I guess I shouldnt have breezed past the guideline as Im sure far too many do hha.

's all good, mang :) This was really more of a drug substitute/taper thread rather than discussing the actual addiction underlying it.

Good luck to you!

I'm prescribed this drug for migraines. I can't comment on it for addiction, but the drug itself is very good. The only side effects I've experienced is drowsiness, mild weight loss, lack of appetite & dry mouth. I'm on 150mg.

I'm interested in your experiences with it for addiction! Keep us updated :) I wish you success.

bingo! i to (and my little sister) are prescribed topamax for reoccuring migraines and it works to the tee. as for your opiate w/d get some subs.

topamax for w/d? thats a new one

i wouldnt exactly call lyrica or neurontin, comfort detox meds. lol

Actually Lyrica is in my experience is the best thing ( besides more opiates ;-) ) to take in withdrawal, it helps sleep, rls, chills, even helps the apathy and fatigue a bit. It takes alot of lyrica ( 400-800mg the first day..... more each subsequent day ) but i'd take it over a benzo.

This is the first i'm hearing of this so please keep us posted on how well this works.

ive heard from numerous people that lyrica is good for opiate w/ds and maybe if thats all you had you could even get by with just that or even gabapentin.

Lyrica is one of the best withdrawal aids I've ever encountered in my experiences. It almost nullifies the whole experience, as long as I'm on it!

hthr- Hey WEIGHT LOSS now thats a side effect I can live with, Im about average weight but I think I could live with about ten pounds!=D

Vaya-That was my experience as well. Lyrica and Neurontin almost made it TOO EASY. The withdrawals were a total CAKEWALK for me while on both of those meds. Oh and btw, I see now, this is def more of a taper/ substitute thread.

Neurontin and Lyrica BOTH has saved my A MANY a times. The thing that totally sucks though is that I cant take neither one of them anymore!:X The Neurontin sets my head on fire and inflames my hair follicles and hair just starts falling out right away after taking it and believe it or not, the Lyrica actually caused me to have a complete mental breakdown! You know how on the commercial they say "tell you doctor if you have mental or mood changes" well that was me.My doc said its actually more common than you might think and at least in my case he thinks thats what caused it.

If anyone happens to read any of my other posts on here youd probably say to yourself "man this girl REALLY doesnt react well to drugs of any kind and should just give it up already!"

Thing is, Id rather NOT lose my hair or have a mental breakdown if I dont have too on top of the withdrawal if you know what I mean, hhe

Topamaxes uses for withdrawal are kinda unknown and like I said, I dont expect it to work even close to my two faves but who knows it just may work so its worth a try.With my history of med reactions,If I can tolerate it and its succesful for my withdrawals I suspect it could very well be useful for many others. I do realize however, that the most OBVIOUS long-term solution for opiate withdrawals is not to use opiates right?? But yea, I seem to never learn and we all know how that goes8) however,I plan on this one being the time that I get off the sauce ONCE AND FOR ALL. Ill keep you all posted and let you know how it goes!

Last edited:
Hi- this is my first time actually writing a post, I've always looked on the site for info but never signed up till now so here goes,
I just started using Topamax 50mg @ bedtime a week ago as a replacement for Lyrica which I'm weaning off of. Lyrica HAS Given Me WORST WITHDRAWL symptoms than any opiates ever have. So i don't suggest using Lyrica for more than say a week to help withdrawl from opiates or you will end up having withdrawl from Lyrica as well.
Also wanted to speak on the hair loss comments- If you do a little research Topamax is at the top of the list of having hair loss as a side effect along with the weight loss, I don't mind the weight loss but I'm making sure to take large amounts of Biotin (basically hair skin & nail supplements) to help reverse the hair loss impact. The lyrica did help with the nerve pain but after being on it over 7 years the side effects of gaining 80+lbs, hair loss, brain fog, and the worst of the bunch was severe swelling of my hands and especially my feet! (About every other month I couldn't walk for at least 7-8 days bc my feet were so swollen that they felt and6 looked like they were going to burst.
From my research it DOES however show that lyrica is supposed to help with opiate withdrawl but I'm still on opiates so idk if that would be true for me but I'm going to hold onto a weeks worth for just in case I have to stop opiates. And other research shows that Topamax is supposed to be a good alternative to those who can not tolerate Lyrica for nerve pain. I can't comment on that yet since it's only been a week so far on the Topamax and I definately haven't reached the top MG amount that the Dr wants me on to substitute in for the Lyrica, can say that I was on Lyrica 150mg 3x/day And now just on 50mg/per day and it is HELL!!! If I knew how bad getting of of Lyrica was I would never have gotten on it in the first place...just being 100% honest and I really really needed it so that says A LOT! SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU YOU TAKE, BC EVEN SOMETHING THAT IS JUST BEING used as a a "harmless" withdrawl agent may be and up being something even harder to withdraw from itself, but everyone reacts differently to everything so GOOD LUCK overall :) it may be a god send for you!!!!

I cant believe we live in a world where people post the words "Relapse" and "Abuse" instead of living in a world where anyone can have any drug they want any time. How Foul and vile and torturous this reality is, where Authoritarian-Based Sociopathic Policy Setters make it so drugs are banned and make it so someone with a mental illness has to choose from a small list of medications that dont work at all instead of be abel to have anything they want

When even if they did get anything they want, with the very best drugs, a person with dysphoric depression would STILL be worse than the average person having a bad day, STILL. And yet they are banned where the person cant be prescribed demoral and fycompa, where the person cant be prescribed anything they need to reduce constant suffering since birth.

the people who make this policy so do not care, so long as its not them being destroyed or their family being destroyed its ok for others to be destroyed. They all feel euphoria all of the time naturally and can work and do things and function well. Who would THEY like it if THEY were afflicted by dysphoria, anxiety and such and someone else they never met set policy so they can only have medications that do not work at all?? How would they like it if their darkness & evil was reversed back onto them?

A person is more damaged from being a genetic dysphoric depressive than if they were abused as a child 500 times, yet the person cant have any medication they want and they are going to be programmed with PsyOps disinfo like "Abuse" and "Relapse"??