• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does Ritalin calm down users without ADD?

terlem

Greenlighter
Does everyone without ADD/ADHD not get calmed down with Ritalin? So getting calmed down would be proof you had it? I saw this around and wondering if its a myth, thanks.

Really varies person to person depending on unique personality and body chemistry. There is no such thing as ADD or ADHD, I can tell you cuz I've been diagnosed with both many times. There are merely people who cannot cope with being stuck in boxes (school,work) their whole life. And this is a spectrum, drawing a line somewhere IMHO is just arbitrary.

Anyways Ritalin, adderrall, all that crap makes me extremely tense but destroys personality much like anti depressants. Many people who have no problem concentrating but take it anyway can get hyper or tense/boring.

There is no such thing as ADD or ADHD

Do you really believe that this is true?

To the OP, no Ritalin wouldn't calm a person without ADD. (Obviously they wouldn't have any of the other symptoms it is prescribed for either).

Does everyone without ADD/ADHD not get calmed down with Ritalin? So getting calmed down would be proof you had it? I saw this around and wondering if its a myth, thanks.
This is dose dependent, my friend. Many neurological claims have been made to try and explain this.

The most common I have heard is that those with ADD/ADHD have a deficiency of dopamine activity and require medication to be "normal", however with excess intake they become scatterbrained.

Really varies person to person depending on unique personality and body chemistry. There is no such thing as ADD or ADHD,

I could take a survey of everyone and if, let's say, 70% of the population share the characteristic of "focus" and 30% lack the characteristic, the 30% is ADD/ADHD. Most likely there will be a neurological explanation for their difference. In this case there are books written:

http://www.bookpump.com/dps/pdf-b/1121563b.pdf

To prove ADD/ADHD does exist.

If the entire world were to be paranoid schitzofrenic except 5 people, then would paranoid schitzofenia exist as normality or as a defect? =D

Last edited:
This is dose dependent, my friend. Many neurological claims have been made to try and explain this.

The most common I have heard is that those with ADD/ADHD have a deficiency of dopamine activity and require medication to be "normal", however with excess intake they become scatterbrained.

I could take a survey of everyone and if, let's say, 70% of the population share the characteristic of "focus" and 30% lack the characteristic, the 30% is ADD/ADHD. Most likely there will be a neurological explanation for their difference. In this case there are books written:

http://www.bookpump.com/dps/pdf-b/1121563b.pdf

To prove ADD/ADHD does exist.

If the entire world were to be paranoid schitzofrenic except 5 people, then would paranoid schitzofenia exist as normality or as a defect? =D

So your saying if someone has it then they would be calmed but with excess they would revert back to scattered/unfocused thoughts. But for someone without ADD/ADHD, is there any dosage that could make them calm?

Last edited:
I have ADD and ritalin does not make me calm, neither does amphetamine.

I found methylphenidate to not work as well as amphetamine for ADD. I think it is really subjective tho'. If you are going to 'abuse' either one, don't expect to not become stimulated to a certain degree.

So your saying if someone has it then they would be calmed but with excess they would revert back to scattered/unfocused thoughts. But for someone without ADD/ADHD, is there any dosage that could make them calm?

The dosing curve resembles this:
(Left is low dose)(Right is High dose)

Far left: Tired, brain fog, no motivation, depressed
Left: Awake, motivated
Middle: Calm, focused, logical and active.
Right: Excited, irritable, and nervous
Far Right: Panicking, scatter brained, over stimulated and jittery

Ritalin doesn't necessarily calm people with ADHD, and if it makes you feel calm it does not necessarily mean you have ADHD. It's more complicated and individual than that.

I don't have ADD and no stimulants (besides maybe MDMA?) make me calm. All give me energy and jitters.

From what I've heard, Ritalin and other Methylphenidate products are (of the ADD/ADHD meds) of the more 'tweaky' compared to the amphetamines (Adderall, Dexadrine, Vyvanse, Desoxyn), so I would imagine that even for some people with ADD/ADHD, Ritalin might be a bit 'edgy' feeling.

Also, I've been diagnosed with ADD and while I do find stimulants like Dextroamphetamine do 'calm me down', it's not like I feel sedated by any means, or am effected by amps like others are by benzo's. It's more like I become more focused-my mind races less, therefor I am not as easily distracted, more motivated and my need to fidget around or pace around in circles is diminished. With those improvements, I can obviously function a lot more productively. However, I've noticed different amphetamines are more stimulating than others. Straight up Dextroamphetamine and Lisdexamphetamine (Vyvanse-a prodrug for D-amp) can almost be too smooth at times. In fact, the few times I injected crystal meth, I ended up nodding out after 90 minutes or so...While the Levoamphetamine is nasty for sure, it sometimes gives a much needed kick (at the right dose) which can keep me from falling asleep. It's weird to feel that stimulation/sedation at the same time.

However, if I take an excessive dose of say, Adderall, I will definitely feel stimulated and agitated. There are also certain stimulants that I think will make anyone tweak the fuck out (like MDPV or IV cocaine).

Okay so Ritalin and other ADD/ADHD meds won't always calm down someone with ADD/ADHD, but most the time will.
But for someone without ADD/ADHD, is calmness impossible from Ritalin and other ADD/ADHD medication? Also heard of people without the disorder using it to enhance studying which could possibly mean no it's actually likely.

Seen shreddedlettuce post say yes, would like for more to confirm since can be many different things said out there.

Last edited:
Methylphenidate is a stimulant and personally i don't think it calms people with ADD ADHD so much as makes them able to concentrate and focus. Regardless of if someone had ADD or ADHD it is still a stimulant, and will still raise BP/ heart rate etc.

Ritalin are UPPERS my love... i.e. NOT downers so NOT to be relied upon if what you want is to be calmed down :O some people don't get they're more like crystal meth than Valium. Sure, there are dose dependent effects but the continuum does not generally include "more calm" for neurotypical people. Some do, in the same way some people get agitated with higher doses of benzos- known as paradoxical effect- but this is not the most likely scenario so if you want calm or sleep you ought to find something more appropriate.

Too many people end up wired or up all night when they want relaxation or a sleep because they make this mistake.
Oh, and ADHD does exist btw.

methylphenidate is a stimulant and personally i don't think it calms people with add adhd so much as makes them able to concentrate and focus. Regardless of if someone had add or adhd it is still a stimulant, and will still raise bp/ heart rate etc.

qft +1