• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Memory Loss with Xanax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

96chanz

Bluelighter
So I take Xanax Daily pretty much for panic attacks, and Social anxiety. I'm just all around a jumpy and nervous person. Anyways.. I've been on Xanax for 9 months now and I've noticed that when I'm talking my friends and they mention something we did the previous night, or weeks ago, I just can't remember. It's so frustrating. I have to take them or else ambulance and hospital here we come. I'll even be doing something And forget what I was about to do. That happens alot multiple times a day. It's just kinda depressing that I'm missing out on shit I mean I know I don't have a memory problem I'm only 16. It's just worrying me. Has anyone else experienced memory loss while taking Benzos? I need advice. Don't really know what to do.

I have the same problem but it's caused by Ativan, which is also a benzo. It happened to me when I was on Xanax though too. I know what you mean about the panic attacks and I totally know what you mean about the memory loss. talk to your doctor or check this med out on your own, its called Citicoline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicoline
Good luck! I know how shitty it is to forget everything. I haven't tried this med yet but I'm going to ask my doc about it soon. Let me know how it goes!
PS: if you don't want to try medication (i know it doesnt say much about treating memory loss caused by meds but i couldnt find anything else and it really cant hurt!), but if you want to try the natural way, eat lots of walnuts, omega 3, blue berries, flax seed, whole wheat, tomatoes, vitamins, black currant, pumpkin seeds and leafy greens. See if you can get a benzo or anti anxiety with less effects on your memory. Also maybe take pictures throughout the day of anything important or log it in your phone or a notebook ie appointments, dates with friends, etc.

Last edited:
OP what's your daily dose?

Do you think you could possibly reduce how much Xanax your taking? Maybe that will help with the memory loss. I know it will probably be tough to do so. You should also consider talking to your doctor who's prescribing you these about this issue.

^that's what i was going to suggest. perhaps lowering your dosage won't inhibit your retention/memory loss as much as you're currently experiencing.

16 is awfully young to be on xanax, though, i don't doubt you may need it if your doctor is cool with prescribing it.

As someone who has serious anxiety/panic issues, I can relate to your problem, OP. Now, out of the more commonly prescribed benzos, xanax has the most memory impairment in my experience. Though when I was on a steady, therapeutic dose and had grown tolerant to it, the memory issues were not very seroius. It was only a problem when taking more than necessary. So to combat this, I suggest attempting to lower your dose. Alternatively, speak with your physician regarding possibly changing the benzo from xanax, to somethign else. Klonopin has worked quite well for me, and it impairs my memory much less. The longer half life is also a benefit, where 2x daily dosing keeps my anxiety at a stable level for the entire day. Xanax is too short acting in my opinion, for general anxiety disorder. It is much better for quelling sudden and intense panic attacks.

Memory loss is a very common side effect of benzos. Different benzos and different doses will have different likelihoods of causing amnesia, and of course everyone is different, but amnesia is definitely a known side effect of benzos (sometimes it is even a deliberate effect, when used for things like surgery). Alprazolam (Xanax) is often associated with anterograde amnesia (short-term memory loss for events that occur after taking the drug). There have been good studies on this, it happens to many people even in "normal" therapeutic doses. It is also possible that alprazolam can cause retrograde amnesia (loss of memories from before you took the drug), but study results are less clear - there have been a few animal studies that found it to cause retrograde amnesia.

I have definitely experienced memory loss from benzos myself, even in low doses of "weaker" benzos.

As for advice, you could try lowering your dose, switching to a different benzo or to a non-benzo drug, and I would highly recommend you also try some non-drug treatments for your anxiety as taking benzos every day is merely masking it and not getting at the root of the problem.

Memory loss is a very common side effect of benzos. Different benzos and different doses will have different likelihoods of causing amnesia, and of course everyone is different, but amnesia is definitely a known side effect of benzos (sometimes it is even a deliberate effect, when used for things like surgery). Alprazolam (Xanax) is often associated with anterograde amnesia (short-term memory loss for events that occur after taking the drug). There have been good studies on this, it happens to many people even in "normal" therapeutic doses. It is also possible that alprazolam can cause retrograde amnesia (loss of memories from before you took the drug), but study results are less clear - there have been a few animal studies that found it to cause retrograde amnesia.

I have definitely experienced memory loss from benzos myself, even in low doses of "weaker" benzos.

As for advice, you could try lowering your dose, switching to a different benzo or to a non-benzo drug, and I would highly recommend you also try some non-drug treatments for your anxiety as taking benzos every day is merely masking it and not getting at the root of the problem.

I also was taking Zoloft 50 MG but that shit made me a zoombie. I took it for 8 weeks and nothing. No Anxiety relieft or anything. also I'm allergic to all the other anti depressents similar to Zoloft. and I take 1MG 3 times a day as needed. sometimes I don't take 3 i might only take 2. On a bad day I'll take my full dose. but never more than I'm suppose too. I've been on it for a long time now so I'm tolerant to it. I'll talk to my doctor about it but Benzo's seem to be the only thing to help for my anxiety and panic attacks :/ idk.

Xanax should not cause memory loss or amnesia in therapeutic doses. Maybe the fact that you are only 16 is what makes it have a stronger effect on you. Either that or your doses are too high, either way, you'll eventually get tolerant to the amnesia and it will go away.

and what's your dose? as in milligrams consumed per day and at what frequency?

I'm assuming your doctor is prescribing these to you (maybe not) But this is not good either way. I've had xanax blackouts stupidly because I took way too much combined with alcohol. I've forgotten events: people would ask me remember when you drove me to .... What? No recollection. Days I cannot remember and it's frightening. You're just in the beginning stages and I'm glad you realize it's problematic.

So I take Xanax Daily pretty much for panic attacks, and Social anxiety. I'm just all around a jumpy and nervous person. Anyways.. I've been on Xanax for 9 months now and I've noticed that when I'm talking my friends and they mention something we did the previous night, or weeks ago, I just can't remember. It's so frustrating. I have to take them or else ambulance and hospital here we come. I'll even be doing something And forget what I was about to do. That happens alot multiple times a day. It's just kinda depressing that I'm missing out on shit I mean I know I don't have a memory problem I'm only 16. It's just worrying me. Has anyone else experienced memory loss while taking Benzos? I need advice. Don't really know what to do.

STOP taking them for you own good. I started at 17 and have been addicted mentally and/or physically since. Your only 16.. its normal to be worried and nervous or anxious at that age. Especially if you are an anxious person ito begin with. the key is to learn to deal with it with out anti-depressants or benzos. I to have you anxiety problems, im 25 now and it has gotten 100000 times better as i age. its not gone but i can deal now. If you end up getting off of them them and then down the road start again only take them for TOPS 2-3 weeks to avoid w/d. Your body starts to get dependant around week 3.

My advice.

1. talk to you doctor.
2. plan a taper
3. complete a taper
4. never look back or touch a benzo again

the W/d is the most awful thing i have ever had happened to me. I have done it 3 times. im lucky i havent had a seizure and died

Edit sorry i never answerd ur memory question. Yes my memory is shit, i forget what im doing 10 seconds after i think to do it. At times i can never remeber what it was i was going to say. Then again i mix in a shit load of weed. But yes benzos fuck up ur memory and im sure its worse at 16 when ur brain is developing still

Last edited:
STOP taking them for you own good. I started at 17 and have been addicted mentally and/or physically since. Your only 16.. its normal to be worried and nervous or anxious at that age. Especially if you are an anxious person ito begin with. the key is to learn to deal with it with out anti-depressants or benzos. I to have you anxiety problems, im 25 now and it has gotten 100000 times better as i age. its not gone but i can deal now. If you end up getting off of them them and then down the road start again only take them for TOPS 2-3 weeks to avoid w/d. Your body starts to get dependant around week 3.

My advice.

1. talk to you doctor.
2. plan a taper
3. complete a taper
4. never look back or touch a benzo again

the W/d is the most awful thing i have ever had happened to me. I have done it 3 times. im lucky i havent had a seizure and died

Edit sorry i never answerd ur memory question. Yes my memory is shit, i forget what im doing 10 seconds after i think to do it. At times i can never remeber what it was i was going to say. Then again i mix in a shit load of weed. But yes benzos fuck up ur memory and im sure its worse at 16 when ur brain is developing still

I went to the psyciatrist today for my refill. We talked and I told her about my memory problems. she says that is a side effect. But with how sever my anxiety is I can't get off them or taper off. It's not like I take them for an addiction. I had my first panic attack back in April. Thought I was having a heart attack. Even the ambulance did. Blood pressure 190/110 pulse 115 (this is all on paper and record so it's how i remember the spicefic stuff) Ever since then my anxiety, social anxiety and panic attacks have been severe. As far as you say addicted. I may be but I take them how i am suppose too. there is no alternative except litterally going to the hosptial for 3 days like I do everytime when i have a severe one. You just don't understand how bad they are. Also people are like Mann you should just smoke some weed for it. what the fuck thats a joke when I smoked weed for it once I left in an ambulance and nearly got in trouble because obviously its illegal. My anxiety is so severe. I can't consume Caffeine, Sugared drinks, Ever smoke cigarettes, No stimulants what so ever. My pain medicine Lortab Even Gets me nervous sometimes. I know I'm only 16 and have alot of problems for my age, but it's easy for you to say to taper down. that would be a disaster. No reason for me to taper down when I'm taking them how im supposed to and only 1MG at a time? Also My panic attacks are so severe I have Clonidine its for emergency high blood pressure recovery. when ever i have a bad panic attack i have to take one of them and it lowers my pulse and blood pressure. If you don't agree with what my pysciatrist gives me than you should become one just saying. She's experienced and I've been seeing her for counseling to which has really helped. not to mention I'm homeschooled because of my anxiety disorder. Yes, Our Goal (My Psysciatrist and I) is to get me off benzos and be anxiety free but I'm not there yet. Thanks for your advice but that's not the answer.

As someone who has serious anxiety/panic issues, I can relate to your problem, OP. Now, out of the more commonly prescribed benzos, xanax has the most memory impairment in my experience. Though when I was on a steady, therapeutic dose and had grown tolerant to it, the memory issues were not very seroius. It was only a problem when taking more than necessary. So to combat this, I suggest attempting to lower your dose. Alternatively, speak with your physician regarding possibly changing the benzo from xanax, to somethign else. Klonopin has worked quite well for me, and it impairs my memory much less. The longer half life is also a benefit, where 2x daily dosing keeps my anxiety at a stable level for the entire day. Xanax is too short acting in my opinion, for general anxiety disorder. It is much better for quelling sudden and intense panic attacks.

Although Klonopin Does last longer as you have said and has a longer half life unlike Xanax I experienced the same Memory problems when taking Klonopin. I took it for 2 months and My Psyciatrist decided to put me on Xanax which helped alot more. Idk what it is about klonopin. they take alot longer to kick in and also don't relief my panic attacks as much. I was prescribed 90 Klonopin 3 times a day but like I said she switched me. we tried multiple anti depressents. (Zoloft, Wellbutrin which im highly allergic too, celexa which im allergic to also, Cymbalta which did absolutely nothing for me, and the list could go on.) She wants to try Lexapro but my insurance refuses to cover it. It's over 200 dollars which my mom can't afford.

it's also important to remember...although most people don't..
that when someone like yourself has severe anxiety/panic issues..
the depression and anxiety themselves can cause memory impairment.
it's hard to focus on what's in front of you when you're consumed with
trying to keep your breathing normal.

i think what bdp said is a good alternative for you..
if the memory problems are a real issue..why not try
a longer acting benzo such as diazepam? (klonopin
did jack shit for me, too.)

there have been many times where i've been rx'd both a long-acting benzo
like diaz, to take daily..along with a shorter acting xanax or ativan..for an
add-on, as needed.
if your anxiety is so severe..it really doesn't make sense to have you
on xanax only, as your only means to combat daily issues. xanax generally
works for most..but if taken daily seems to lose potency quickly. another
reason to not rely on it alone.

anti-depressants are a joke for me, too.
good luck. :)

Last edited:
it's also important to remember...although most people don't..
that when someone like yourself has severe anxiety/panic issues..
the depression and anxiety themselves can cause memory impairment.
it's hard to focus on what's in front of you when you're consumed with
trying to keep your breathing normal.

i think what bdp said is a good alternative for you..
if the memory problems are a real issue..why not try
a longer acting benzo such as diazepam? (klonopin
did jack shit for me, too.)

there have been many times where i've been rx'd both a long-acting benzo
like diaz, to take daily..along with a shorter acting xanax or ativan..for an
add-on, as needed.
if your anxiety is so severe..it really doesn't make sense to have you
on xanax only, as your only means to combat daily issues. xanax generally
works for most..but if taken daily seems to lose potency quickly. another
reason to not rely on it alone.

anti-depressants are a joke for me, too.
good luck. :)

I agree with you on the not being able to focus with my anxiety and panic attacks because that is totally how I feel. And I never thought My Anxiety could be causing the memory loss. Thanks But Btw Diazepam and Ativan are to fucking weak of a benzo. I tried both before. Ativan 1MG and Diazepam 5MG Ativan helped more but after a few days I noticed it to be less potent. So Those 2 benzos are a joke. Xanax Is way better and I'd have to say Klonopin is better than those 2.

I agree with you on the not being able to focus with my anxiety and panic attacks because that is totally how I feel. And I never thought My Anxiety could be causing the memory loss. Thanks But Btw Diazepam and Ativan are to fucking weak of a benzo. I tried both before. Ativan 1MG and Diazepam 5MG Ativan helped more but after a few days I noticed it to be less potent. So Those 2 benzos are a joke. Xanax Is way better and I'd have to say Klonopin is better than those 2.

i <3 diazepam.

it's not as quick acting or potent and therefore nowhere near
as valuable during an acute panic episode..
it's much better used as a tool to lower general daily
anxiety.
but of course, you and your dr. are going to know what's best for you.
and what works for us, generally only works for us.

good luck, op.

xanax can cause amnesia. Zolpidem can SERIOUSLY cause amnesia especially in patients with little or no tolerance to the medication. Be careful with both of these when it comes to driving or doing things that you will need to remember the next day.

if i take just enough xanax to lower my anxiety i don't get much memory loss but one bar more than that and i black out and end up blacked out until my xanax runs out cause i keep taking it cause i don't think i'm fucked up when i really am

Errm... yes lol. Xanax and any benzo for that matter are known to make you forget what you did while you were on them, especially if you took a moderate-high dose (where you basically black out and become a zombie lol)

if i take just enough xanax to lower my anxiety i don't get much memory loss but one bar more than that and i black out and end up blacked out until my xanax runs out cause i keep taking it cause i don't think i'm fucked up when i really am

Yea, completely fucking weird how when you are blacked out, you feel fine. Like, in that moment you know what you are doing and are still pretty "sober" and just keep on popping them. You are like a zombie, your brain shuts of remembering anything you do, and you go into auto pilot feeling like you are in control lol. Then you wake up the next day realizing all your benzos are gone [someone must have stole em or you lost em ;) ]and don't remember a thing you did lol.

A lil story my dad is prescribed 1mg xanax twice a day i have occasional anxiety stress problems sometime to the point of my hands shaking so bad from nervousness i cant write well one day a few months ago i got a couple it was here in missouri my home state i have experiance with opiates but not benzos however iv always had a natural tolerance to prescriptions and we had a snow and ice storm well earlier that day i popped the 2 mg and iv always enjoyed the almost saint like paitience benzos give like your moving in slo mo and you just dont care how long it takes to rebuild a carb or put in some new rings and pistons im a mechanic btw well anywho i was felling wonderfull for several hours nothing could pi** me off later that night of course ice ice and snow snow and more of it i had to take the 6 mile trip to my guy to yet my opiates im driving down a usually undeserted highway in my 2001 24v 4wd lifted cummins single cab 6 speed manual MY BABY so getting there was not a problem at all here was the problem it was night time day was over and im cruising down the road at 20 mph in a 60 lol listening to the turbo from the stacks on the bed just feeling amazing well next thing i know i wake up my head on the steering wheel believe this or not a mile farther down the road this happened 4 times before i got there passed out at the steering wheel now how i was driving on ice at 20 mph and drove almost 3/4the way there unconciouss i do not know anyways got there got the goods and headed back one again same deal well anyhow i managed to stay concious another couple hours idk how after i got home anyways finally went to bed after taking my DOC witch was a waste cause i was allready gone on xanax anyways i slept like it was goin outta style like the illegalization of sleep was being signed into law the next day lol i woke up and hadnt the slightest memory of anything from previous day didnt even know how i got my DOC from 6 miles from home on snow and ice as the day went on and the effects finally left the system i could regain very small flash memories of what had happened on that trip i could close my eyes ajd remember wat i saw my surroundings and of course passing out and waking up mostly all i remember is icy road as time went on i was finally able to recall most tye trip there and back but couldnt recall any other aspects of that day cant remember wat went dowb when i got to my buddies or any convos or anything from that day all i remember is the trip ice and i vaguely remember goin to the pawn shop earlier that days that is it long story short and the moral benzos are extremely dangerous and definatly Cause memory loss i wouldnt say forgetting persay but it detaches your brain from the events going on and your body is kind of on auto pilot you can still drive walk talk even carry on convos but its like memory is turned off just please be carefull with those xanax they can be a wonderfull drug but taken in excess even slight excess can be deadly not just from the drug but well reread my roadtrip story lol anything could have happened i was very very lucky probably wouldnt have cared if i had wrecked my truck at the time cause honestly xanax is the best f*** it all pill u can get just be smart and carefull the moral is if your having memory loss cut back your dose my dad has zero problems because he takes the proper dose for his body i can take a xanax 1mg and have zero issues but add another .5 mg or another 1mg maybe even as lil as .25 more mg can make a massive difference please everyone be safe benzos can be beneficial to health they can even be a good occasional afternoon fun but they are deadly and not just the pill i could have wrecked and died or done something stupid i normally wouldnt have done and have no memory of it in closing be safe much love to my blue light sisters and brothers much love ,opkiller 91

wow dude thats a crazy story ^
I'm also impressed because I don't think there was one period in that whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.