• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Would adding Cola to watered down cough syrup make it taste any better?

Jenma

Greenlighter
Hi, I would like to know if adding cough syrup to water down cough syrup make it taste any better? Let me explain...

So I have some VILE cough syrup with DXM only that I procured in order to have a somewhat fun trip for school, since I do it often and it actually helps me concentrate on work for some reason and hasn't screwed me over yet, as well as just have a LOT of fun. I put the 8 oz's of Pineapple flavored Cough syrup into a spotless, empty 57 oz orange juice bottle, then added 10 oz of water to it in order for it to be diluted and not taste as badly. I think it worked pretty well, but it still tastes pretty damn nasty, even when it's watered down. What I want to know, is if I put about 20 oz's of Coca/Cola into the watered down cough syrup mix, would it make it taste any better what so ever or at least help to mask the vile taste a bit? I'm not really looking to taste the most delicious drink in the entire world, just something to further dilute the HORRIBLE taste and smell. I also don't mind if it's kind of nasty and flat, just as long as the cough Syrup doesn't overpower the soda taste by too much. I also don't mind at all drinking a lot of liquid.

TL;DR: Would adding a butt load of soda to some already watered down syrup help me down that nasty bitch at all? :?

Last edited by a moderator:
My whole deal with DXM syrups is that you're better off just slamming it instead of mixing. There's so much syrup that its hard to get it diluted down to an acceptable level without just making the whole thing huge and nasty.

I honestly don't mind if it tastes like some nasty, watered down, flat, vaguely cola tasting solution, I just can't chug the syrup straight because I'll end up just puking it about 10 minutes later before it's absorbed, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Basically you will end up with soda that tastes like cough syrup. Dont be that guy!

You could always try mixing a small amount to test it out to see if it would be better.
You can test a bunch of other things as well. Maybe try some milk, non alcoholic beer, water (to test the placebo effect in a taste situation) or another of the same type of cough syrup (to try and cancel out the taste but hopefully not the effects, its a chance that can go either way).

Start with the amount you want to take and then test small amounts with different combinations. Get creative, you could even try the traditional sugar idea often used in medicine for kids, but who knows if salt or even condiments like mayonnaise or Tabasco might work

I would even consider conceptual combinations like cough syrup with something that makes you cough like the Tabasco mentioned above. Sometimes opposites attract and synergize in strange ways but thats prob taking it a bit far, soz im wierd sometimes.

What I love about foods and taste is that you never know if something is gonna work. I once figured out that condensed milk and lettuce and is amazing, and a new taste, nothing like just the two combined. A new creation taste sensation. Aim for that type of result.

The advantage of this strategy is that after you have tested a few combinations you will happily find that you have consumed your needed dose without realizing it as well as learned about some new and totally unique taste combinations for future potential use. Hows that for time well spent? Got your dose, had fun, learnt new things, tasted things never before created by another human. In its own way its akin to discovering a new species of animal. Your are the first!

Certainly making the situation much more rewarding then simply chugging down like suggested above, pftft. Why miss the opportunty to create an interesting and totally unique experience with rewarding results out of something previously perceived as unpleasant and preferably avoided or rushed through as fast as possible. Life is what you make it i guess.

Would you rather aspire to be somebody who introduces to the world your new cough syrup pizza dish and as a result usher in a new unique dining out concept called the Pharmarant which combines foods with unique tasting chemicals and medication based flavors and spices, taking the world by storm and making you rich and famous in the process?

Or continue to drink cola flavored cough syrup like everybody else?

Its your choice.

With straight DXM syrup, either the IR hydrobromide that you find in "long acting cough relief," or the XR polystrirex you find in Delsym, I use a measuring cup to measure out 10-15mL, then fill the rest of the measuring cup with water.

That last step really helps "water down" ( ;) ) the taste, as does filling your mouth with water, slamming the syrup cup, then chasing it with some more water.

You, my friend, are truly a genius. I'm going to try a small amount of cola syrup now, and then go ahead and try with the multitude of juices I have. I really have to thank you for that, I never thought of using anything but sprite or cola because I thought it was taboo or generally bad, but you're right, it's better to try a multitude of different things and see than just try one thing.

Basically you will end up with soda that tastes like cough syrup. Dont be that guy!

You could always try mixing a small amount to test it out to see if it would be better.
You can test a bunch of other things as well. Maybe try some milk, non alcoholic beer, water (to test the placebo effect in a taste situation) or another of the same type of cough syrup (to try and cancel out the taste but hopefully not the effects, its a chance that can go either way).

Start with the amount you want to take and then test small amounts with different combinations. Get creative, you could even try the traditional sugar idea often used in medicine for kids, but who knows if salt or even condiments like mayonnaise or Tabasco might work

I would even consider conceptual combinations like cough syrup with something that makes you cough like the Tabasco mentioned above. Sometimes opposites attract and synergize in strange ways but thats prob taking it a bit far, soz im wierd sometimes.

What I love about foods and taste is that you never know if something is gonna work. I once figured out that condensed milk and lettuce and is amazing, and a new taste, nothing like just the two combined. A new creation taste sensation. Aim for that type of result.

The advantage of this strategy is that after you have tested a few combinations you will happily find that you have consumed your needed dose without realizing it as well as learned about some new and totally unique taste combinations for future potential use. Hows that for time well spent? Got your dose, had fun, learnt new things, tasted things never before created by another human. In its own way its akin to discovering a new species of animal. Your are the first!

Certainly making the situation much more rewarding then simply chugging down like suggested above, pftft. Why miss the opportunty to create an interesting and totally unique experience with rewarding results out of something previously perceived as unpleasant and preferably avoided or rushed through as fast as possible. Life is what you make it i guess.

Would you rather aspire to be somebody who introduces to the world your new cough syrup pizza dish and as a result usher in a new unique dining out concept called the Pharmarant which combines foods with unique tasting chemicals and medication based flavors and spices, taking the world by storm and making you rich and famous in the process?

Or continue to drink cola flavored cough syrup like everybody else?

Its your choice.

^^omg. <3^^

i think this may be, by far, my favorite post from BL/2012.

^I'll also try that, turns out I just found another old bottle that is barely gonna hit it's use by date way in the back of the medicine cabinet. Thank you all for your help with this. Does anyone have any different recipes to mix with nasty cough syrup to make it taste less vile?

^I'll also try that, turns out I just found another old bottle that is barely gonna hit it's use by date way in the back of the medicine cabinet. Thank you all for your help with this. Does anyone have any different recipes to mix with nasty cough syrup to make it taste less vile?

cranberry juice/pink lemonade.

they are my go-to chasers/mixers for any liquid medication.
i am a simple girl at heart. :)

I heard Cranberry Juice potentiates it too, something about inhibiting the body from metabolizing it, plus I LOVE pink lemonade, so that's just a bonus. Thank you for that mixture.

We don't use SWIM here actually. It's an eyesore to look at and doesn't actually protect you legally in any way. Please edit out those parts of your post and replace it with "I".

As far as what makes cough syrup taste better... no idea as I never had the inclination to down a bottle of it, hah. But I'm sure soda would help at least a little bit.

Plug your nose and slam it. I prefer cherratussin. You then then chase it with a soft drink.