• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Contalgin. morphine sulfate xr pills - anyone familiar with these and how to prep IV?

Cesare

Greenlighter
Contalgin (morphine sulfate) XR pills from Pfizer.

These are the most commonly used and readily available opiate where I come from. Easier to get and more commonly prescribed than oxycodone (which is very rare here). Also there is no H in my country.

Contalgin pills are available in 5 mg (brown), 10 mg (white), 30 mg (yellow), 60 mg (pink), 100 mg (red) and 200 mg (blue). SWIM only uses the 100 mg and 200 mg ones for IV.

If you have experience with these I would like to know how one prepares them for IV injection. If you don´t recognize this brand I´m going to give you detailed information on the pills ingredients and perhaps you know some other brand that are made in the same way? .. (is this maybe the same as MS Contin?)

Here are the details:

Contalgin 100 mg:
active ingredient: morphine sulfate 100 mg

pill core: hydroxyethylcellulose, cetostearyl alcohol, talcum, magnesium stearate.

pill coating: Opadry OY-L-36516 brown, lactose monohydrate, hypromellose, macrogolum 4000, titanium dioxide (E171), yellow iron oxide (E172), black iron oxide (E172)

Contalgin 200 mg:

active ingredient: morphine sulfate 200 mg

pill core : hydroxyethylcellulose, cetostearyl alcohol, talcum, magnesium stearate.

pill coating: Opadry 06B21168, hypromellose, macrogolum 400, titanium dioxide (E171), brilliant blue FCF (E133), quinoline yellow (E104)

Here is how SWIM prepares them:

Tools

- 5 ml syringes
- 26G needles
- cigarette filter
- saline solution
- clean sharp knife
- sterile damp cloth
- clean cooker
- 1 candle
- 1 glass of ice cold water.

* First shave the pill coating with a sharp clean knife and then after that one rubs the pill in a damp sterile cloth to get the last of the coating. Let it dry.
* For both the 100 and 200 mg SWIM uses 5-6 ml of luke warm water.
* SWIM then crushes and grinds the pill into a fine powder and puts it in the cooker.
* Then spray the 5-6 ml of water over the powder, stir well and let it sit and dissolve for ca. 5 min.
* and then light a candle and gently heat the solution. Placing the cooker not too close to the fire. SWIM uses hand for estimation. One wants it hot, not burning.
* While SWIM does this he stirs with the needle cap and crushes any white chunks that´s left.
* When the solution is getting pretty clear then remove the cooker from the candle and put in few drops of the saline solution (ca. 4-5 drops) and stir again.
* Then heat it very gentle for the final time and stir for a even more clear solution.
* Then let it sit and cool while SWIM prepares the cigarette filter. He´ll only uses a little more than half of the filter.
* Drop in the filter and suck it up the syringe.
* Put the capped needle on the syringe and put it in a glass of cold water to cool it down.
* If the solution is not clear enough when it has cooled down then SWIM filters it again.

Is this a sufficient enough method for an IV? I´ve had debates with other users on if it is better to heat the solution or not. SWIM tried both and find heating is much better for effect. What is the truth?
SWIM´s injection sites look clean and he has no problems (infections, collapsed veins, swellings)..but who knows maybe a few years down the road the damage comes to show. There are no micron filters available here but SWIM talked the needle exchange into ordering them but for now they are not an option.

Thanks for taking your time to read and hopefully you can help out. SWIM is still a newbie. He only started IV morphine some 4 months ago.

Last edited:
I'll move this to Other Drugs, as it's not really a basic question and OD are the experts on preparing opioid pills for IV.

Pretty sure the main things you'll be told is don't heat it and use a micron filter. If you strongly feel you need to heat it to get all the morphine freed from the inactives, then at least let it cool completely before filtering.

BDD -> OD