• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Is using speed as a study aid doomed to fail?

Harambulus

Greenlighter
ive been stuck on a plateau for a loong long time and with progress being so painfully slow im wondering if im ever gonna reach my goals.

ive only used speed recreationally really in the past but now im thinking that the intense focus could be an elixir to shoot me through my sticking points.

Ive been thinking how speed could be for me like what steroids are for bodybuilders.

Converse to recreational use which is easily written off as just a binge (but likewise id feel guilty that id just spent the whole night -literally- jacking off), the trouble with this is i wonder, if it WAS successful then that is going to have placed a strong positive anchour to me wanting to use it again in the future is it not thus being more dependent on it?

My rational is that id use it just to reach the next level and the fruits of my labour would keep me motivated to continue without it. If i was seeing reuslts from what im doing now i wouldnt want anything but because its such a grind and ive been knocked back so much i have had my motivation sapped wondering if i can do it at all alot of the time. I just feel I havent got the willpower to put effort in due to this mountain of negative feedback.

The main issue is ive felt stuck for so long with only knockbacks that i am losing motivation and hope while putting the hours in sober. My current situation has really been sapping my willpower to the core. With speed i recall it transforming even the most mundane tasks into a semi orgasmic frolic as i revel in the most menial of chores like they have some super intrinsic meaning to me like i am a perfectly functioning cog in the machine.

So the two negative eventualities ive been thinking are- Stay in misery with no clear sight of ever reaching success. -or- Swapping misery for addiction.

Third way is i escape addiction and achieve my goals, but as i say its a risk and im already brimming with stress such that i hate taking risks these days so been very dubious about doing it but at the same time the misery of failure has been forcing me to look at otehr options in a 'by any means necessary (within reason)' type of way

So im interested to hear ppls personal experiences of using speed or other similar study aids expressly to help them achieve better results and how that affects their relationship with the substance good/bad?

ie have you been able to use it in specific situations to get a job done and not have to rely on it again or were you more apt to use it again when in a pinch. see if its used just to get to the new level can it just be jettisoned off and forgotten about -like how when using a rocket to enter space- that is what gives you the initial boost to leave the atmosphere then you can just dump it once you get your own momentum in space or did does it not work like that?

Also when your leg is broken you use crutches to get you back on your feet and building up the strength of your bones then you dump the crutches once your leg is strong again.

Last edited:
Personally for me the only time I take speed ( which is Adderall for me) is when I plan to spend the entire day at my University's library. It helps me study literally from dusk till dawn. I don't really like how it makes me feel, I hate not being able to eat all day so I make a huge breakfast before I take it. I could never be addicted to it, the only thing I enjoy is the ability to study. I think if you can control your usage then it is an amazing tool for students, just be careful because I know a lot of people do get addicted to it. Just my .02.

Using amps and meth functionally will be your destruction. Thats why it has the massive recurrance rate. Trying to stop shit thats useful to your life or you need to function is almost impossible. This is a turning point decision. Dont cross that line.

And yes i know how useful it can be, its a struggle not to make use of it but thats how i still have usage kept to weekends and under control.

but thats the thing its kind of a paradox in my mind in that i hate doing anything that isnt functional these days, ie no recreational activity. and i guess achieving my goals IS my recreation- when im winnign. ive tried doing stuff just ;for fun; but it pisses me off and i feel like im wasting my time and my life so i just want to wrok again and my sights are these days just set on ways i can better increase performance. toruble is when i dont achieve my goals (ie all the time) and i have cut out all non goal based activity i am plunged into chasms of despair.

So in that vein why not take it functionally if it is useful. of course addiction is the answer. but addiction is using something in spite of it being detrimental to your life right?

i guess the main question is whether there is room between using nothing and all out addiction in terms of using a substance functionally. i think to myself ppl use alcohol to be social and use coffee to focus etc. i fucking hate both of those and am t-total otherwise so it feels 'unfair' that they have these things to lean on while i am left with cold harsh reality and not given anything back for my 'pristine abstinence' except seemingly unending misery. so i think now if im gonna take something might as well be something which i like and is useful to me to get me ahead.

That is a sweeping complaint as the reward of abstinence is good health personally but the fairness thing is mainly in relation to me feeling at a disadvantage since ppl are relying on all these substances while i feel like im behind the race.

i think what you say is a matter of perspective.

if i was getting results already i wouldnt want to use speed at all! so it defeats the purpose. i have had SOME results but they are pathetic and i feel ive exhausted myself trying to find ways to do it other than give up which is out of the question. its that or keep trundling along at this amoeba's pace and accept my bad lot in life as fortune's fool.

my lack of motivation is due to a lack of dopamine in my brain which comes from constant failure and being kicked while im down. so speed will 'even up the tables' allowing me to blast into the stratosphere for a short time and allow some productivity from a good vantage point.

i want to it them because i see less deserving cunts fly past me when i know they havent put in near as much effort as much and have just had more favourable external circumstances. dont give me that BULLSHIT of 'anyone who has success must have deserved it more than you and thus you are an inferior creature', that really boils my blood!

i put my general malaise towards life down to bad depression and i fit all the criteria wonderfully for the 'clinical' definition of depression but so what?! i mean i know im fucking depressed and i know im depressed because i am not achieving my goals. you get dopamine release for achieing things and likewise its sapped from your very bone marrow when you are rotting in the pits of failure so its just a vicious cycle- rich get richer poor get poorer bullshit unless there is some intervention somehow. so its a chicken or the egg. im sure the doctor would LOVE to prescribe me anti depressants as they will do it even if you sneeze at them however i hate the idea of being on some chemical indefinitely.

in this case im wanting to use speed in the same way they prescribe antidepressants, to get me out of a rut, but i want to use speed in a acute manner rather than be sum drugged up zombie the rest of my life like how the docs would want me. a quick in and out with something stronger which will give me a nitro charge im thinking is a lesser evil. maybe itll be a bigger evil but im terrified of the idea of them putting me on drugs for the 'foreseeable future' like some automaton in one flew over the cookoos nest.

my plan is to try speed route and if it fails then maybe after id tried that id try anti depressants with the doc but id ask them for a dopamine based one. i actually considered the latter to do instead of speed as it might be a safer bet but as i said i dont like this 'only START to see improvements in 6 weeks/months a year!!! if at all' bullshit. i dont like those odds while having some alien substance running riot in body. with speed i know its bad for me and would never have it in my body on a regular basis, so an in and out type deal. 'take the money and run'.

...i guess the main question is whether there is room between using nothing and all out addiction in terms of using a substance functionally. i think to myself ppl use alcohol to be social and use coffee to focus etc. i fucking hate both of those and am t-total otherwise so it feels 'unfair' that they have these things to lean on while i am left with cold harsh reality and not given anything back for my 'pristine abstinence' except seemingly unending misery. so i think now if im gonna take something might as well be something which i like and is useful to me to get me ahead.

That is a sweeping complaint as the reward of abstinence is good health personally but the fairness thing is mainly in relation to me feeling at a disadvantage since ppl are relying on all these substances while i feel like im behind the race.

It sounds to me like you have forgotten (or never learned) the true meaning (functionality) of social congregation. To gather with your peers, youths, and elders to converse in engaging conversations. We all need social interaction to help us feel "human," or "normal."

Also, please remember that your perception of others (specifically their use of caffeine and alcohol), is in fact, merely your perception, and quite possibly not their reality. In other words, you may not realize what an "advantage" you have being sober and paradoxically, what a disadvantage others, who use licit drugs have...

You should focus on what is true to yourself and not worry about your perceived disadvantages in comparison to others.

You should try to get into some group therapy to deal with your social misconceptions and biases.

Should you decide to use amphetamines to further your "progress," please seek the help of a licensed medical professional for drugs.

DO NOT use street drugs, i.e., meth, speek, crank, dope, shit, spank, tweak, stuff, etc....), or you will be spending the entire night, literally, without doubt, jacking off!!! :!

the main cause of my problems is my gernal misanthropy. i find 99.9% of ppl irritating so lived a sucluded existence.

my mother teaches ppl with autism and she says i ;shows signs' of it like aspergers or something which made sense when she said it. but again a useless diagnosis as it doesnt really help any does it. just another label.

likewise my 'symptoms' evapourate when i have feelgood chemicals floating in my brain so its a moot point.

the only real issue then is getting a steady supply of dopamine on tap. if you are in an unfortunate life situation where social ties are non existent then the issue only exasperates as humans love to shun the interloper due to our old evolutionary hierarchical horseshit. so i reckon one way to transcend our evolution and gain the upper hand is through chemical intervention.

Last edited:
Well, opiates have been use an antidepressant and have excellent introversive qualities to them...

Last edited:
this is no place for trolling my good man.

hmm modafinil seems like it might be a safer bet as it is also used as an anti depressant so could get it prescribed prob and has less abuse potential whilst also boosting my poor atrophied dopamine system.

---

i just had an emergency concoction of 2500 mg l tyrosine and a strong cup of coffee and already it is providing a much welcome relief. feels like my brain can breath better.

Try some natural remedies, like valerian root extract (liquid) or kava kava extract (liquid). They are sold at most natural food stores everywhere.

ive just finsihed trying that dogshit.

valerian, hops, l thenaing, kava kava, passionflower.

only kava (yes i got the fresh 'waka grade' shit) and l thenaine gave any sort of decent effect. kava gave an ok effect but for the price and ingesting a shitload of this muddy junk it only lasted like 30 mins to one hour so not worth my time. thenaine is decent tho and will prob stay in my herbal toolbox. only at doses of 800mg-1000mg have a found any sort of effect from it and im very sensitive to most things.

the otehr herbs are so weak it just isnt economical to gulp down this foul tasting garbage for such little effect.i buy 50 and 100 gram of the herbs and takes about a 1/3 to get any kind of effect, not to mention the preparation time and they make me piss alot. so unfortunately not a solution.

i tried 50htp and l tyorisne, and neither offer any kind decent relief. exercise, meditation blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Is using speed as a study aid doomed to fail?

imho, that isn't any more doomed to fail than anything else in life. If you use stims and you finish your degree or whatever, then it won't have been a failure.

You go on from school and get a job, and you find that speed makes the job a lot easier too.

Using speed as a work aid isn't necessarily doomed to fail. When I look at the rise of meth use, it seems like the more starbutts showed up on corner after corner, the more regular working people started using meth and the gov came out with the anti speed law. I was gonna google that and give you the link but I'm just gonna let it go, and you can read all about it if you want to look it up.

The "free market" of commerce and trade would have/should have predicted that getting everyone hooked on caffeine would cause the demand for a stronger stim. Caffeine tolerance is a bitch, and caffeine withdrawl is actually quite brutal. Massive migraine for some days... come on, that's a drug withdrawal.

starbutts lawyers would beg to differ, but i think the possibility exists for meth rise to branch off from caffeine rise for people who found caffeine to be fantastic for studying or just basically getting the job done, whatever it is, no matter what it is.

speed helps a lot of people do whatever soul crushing job they are lucky enough to have.

i believe that's why it is so popular and why the govs anti meth laws are merely markers of the cultural awakening to a preponderance of meth users.

At the end of the day you will justify proceeding in any way you need to. This idea of not being good enough as you are and needing other things to function will ensure you are a slave to life until you get over it. Good luck.

I don't really see it as doomed to fail, adderall is prescribed far too often in the US and is used daily by many that do not require it but believe they do, most of these people appear to do just fine.

Obviously not using speed would be a much wiser move and I doubt you have exhausted the alternatives to this a daily drug regime.

ye upon some further contemplation i thought it would be better to keep it to a recreational 'blow out' now and then if at all as creating a habit would be a bad idea vs. just taking a recreational dose a cpl times a year say.

If we are to continue this line of reasoning then, is not all drugs use (other than medical use) just a crutch since everyone COULD enjoy life without them if they wanted to- ive asked this before and like guy above say everyone will justify where they are at currently so i guess its pretty moot to discuss it.

---

like clockwork every 4 months i would get cravings for drugs and have given in to them for a few years but this time ive staved off a cpl of bouts and am at 6 months now. i thihnk this is good for me cos even if i do take the agian i can feel more empowered knowing that i CAN stop when i want to as before i would give myself paranoia thinking im addicted albeit only taking them sporadically but sitll it was like clockwork at the 4 month mark. Good to stop myself to reassure myself i can control it.

Whether i will take anyhting else agina in the foreseeable future remains to be seen. im still 'battling' inside my mind to decide if i should or not. i think i will wait a while longer so it isnt such an issue for me then see how i feel.

Last edited:
im going to give you the simple answer that will be true to 90% of every one and even more true if you already do it for recreational purpose and is regardless of what form of speed you use. cause once you even peak thru the rabbit whole its hard to turn back, i.e. divulge further into use.

its doomed to fail

Lol you can pick out the posts in this thread written by people tweaking :)

I'd say at first it helps a lot with focus and motivation and then after a while you are totally unmotivated without it, more so than before you took speed in the first place.

My grades went up a few letter grades after I quit using amphetamines to study. Your mileage may vary, but I know I will never take any kind of amphetamine to study ever again.