• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Potentiator - Cimetidine - Limitations?

diver

Bluelighter
Hey folks,
I've been using Tagamet / cimetadine as a potentiator lately and on the package it's recommended to do no more than 2tablets/day. But I've actually using more than the recommended dosage, typically.
I've been wondering what the side effects of cimetidine are and how much other people are taking / how often.

I've been using it with kratom and occasionally pills as well.

Also wondering whether cimetidine as a potentiator has any effect when the DOC is administered in ways besides orally.

It's fine if you use more than 2, I wouldbt recommend more than 1000mg a day

And taking tagamet daily is not good, it enhances estrogen activity, causes milk to spontaneously flow from breasts in women and causes man boobs, along with causing heartburn, ect.. when not taking cimitidine

Ive been taking 2 tablets pre my evening doses of etizolam and opiates for several weeks. At first i noticed a virtual doubling of effects. I cant stop taking it now though, as it would throw me straight into w/d, seeing as im in the process of tapering down off opis.

Havent noticed any adverse reactions. I have been getting occasional heartburn/indigestion but i put that down to guzzling carbonated water. :\

Are you a male? I used to take tagamet almost daily and I started to form moobs so I immediately stopped and started working out. I never take tagamet anymore really because I don't take anything that is metabolized through 3A4 besides bup and an inducer is what I want

Thanks for the replies. Man boobs huh? Estrogen... Too bad it doesn't increase testosterone.

So, is there any benefit to using tagamet or any other potentiator when administering my drug of choice in ways other than orally?

i did this for a few months with poppy seed tea. Doesn't make a bit of a difference and you have a risk of growing man tits from cimetidine not worth it lol

I've been using the tagamet for a few weeks. It seems to me like there is an effect when dosing orally. I'm just recently learning what the side effects are.
Still curious whether an oral dose of tagamet would have any potentiation effect if someone were taking their drug of choice in a different way. For example; If I were plugging fentanyl or using fent patches transdermally, and taking an oral dose of tagamet, how would that work?

yeah it should because it inhibits the enzyme that breaks down the drug in the system. FWIW i used ranitidine, a stronger cyp2dr inhibitor and it wasn't worth it.

take the oral dose first, then whatever drug you are going to do after.

tagamet (cimitidine) is the best OTC enzyme inhibitor, and if you use it here and there, side-effects are not common. i still use tagamet for potentiating klonopin and such...

I'd say that grape fruit juice is actually a better alternative to tagamet

Only problem is its a bitch to get not only the best kind (white vs red) but also find the best brand (ocean spray). Whereas tagamet is right there in the store no matter what.

I took tagamet daily for YEARS. I regret doing it. No real long term effects but still cant be good that I did that. When I learned about the estrogen thing I flipped a shit.

tagamet (cimitidine) is the best OTC enzyme inhibitor, and if you use it here and there, side-effects are not common. i still use tagamet for potentiating klonopin and such...

ranitidine is a stronger one.

for 3A4 or 2D6? where is your source?

maybe i was not clear, cimitidine is the most powerful OTC inhibitor of cytochrome 450 3A4 enzyme. however, grapefruit is stronger inhibitor than cimitidine, and grapefruit juice is highly variable levels of bergamottin (found in Grapefruits, this substance is the 3A4 inhibitor), and the juice has low levels of bergamottin. to get optimal results with GFJ, the user drinks multiple cups of GFJ. on the other hand, if you eat the actual grapefruit raw, has higher levels of bergamottin.

the reason tagamet is effficient is because you can easily take 3-5 pills and get good inhibition, while with GFJ and grapefruits, you have to eat more to get the same effect. IMO if you have raw graepfruits, use that over tagamet, and IME raw grapefruits work well at inhibiting the enzymes and potentiating/elongating the durations and effects.

Last edited:
for 3A4 or 2D6? where is your source?

maybe i was not clear, cimitidine is the most powerful OTC inhibitor of cytochrome 450 3A4 enzyme. however, grapefruit is stronger inhibitor than cimitidine, and grapefruit juice is highly variable levels of bergamottin (found in Grapefruits, this substance is the 3A4 inhibitor), and the juice has low levels of bergamottin. to get optimal results with GFJ, the user drinks multiple cups of GFJ. on the other hand, if you eat the actual grapefruit raw, has higher levels of bergamottin.

the reason tagamet is effficient is because you can easily take 3-5 pills and get good inhibition, while with GFJ and grapefruits, you have to eat more to get the same effect. IMO if you have raw graepfruits, use that over tagamet, and IME raw grapefruits work well at inhibiting the enzymes and potentiating/elongating the durations and effects.

3-5 pills! I've been taking 1/2 pill and noticing a difference. Not sure I want to get into it that deep, I might not be able to quit. Might try it once.

GFJ is great stuff but it reached the point where I was spending too much, the stuff isn't cheap. GFJ feels so much healthier.

Thanks for the info. This old dog loves learning new tricks!

sorry it's for 2d6, i guess we are potentiating different things here lol i used 2d6 inhibition to hope to slow down the break down of morphine and friends.

i am using it to inhibit CYP2D6 (Cytochrome P450 2D6) which i believe boosts both opiates and etizolam. I take 2 tablets every day ideally 20-30 minutes before my treats. Sometimes just a few minutes before. Poppy pod tea and AH7921 take ages to kick in when taken orally.

I have just read this from the abstract of a scientific study " In addition, the metabolic activities of diazepam, clotiazepam, and etizolam in human liver microsomes were inhibited by 2.5 microM ketoconazole, a CYP3A4 inhibitor, by 97.5%, 65.1%, and 83.5%, respectively"

Also just read " cimeitadine [tagamet] pardon the spelling. It cuts down on the amount of acid your stomach puts out,keeping the drug longer in your system"

I'm sure i also read that cyp2d6 is also significantly involved in causing grapefruit/cimetidine to boost opiates/etizolam but I cant find the links for that right now.

A totally different question about cimetidine. Does anyone else get a strange small sealed plastic tube, containing weird black and white crystals in their tubs of cimetidine. What the hell are these things, and what do they do ? :?

Last edited: