• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol after 5-htp - safe?

griip

Greenlighter
Hello,

I tried googling but could not find any comprehensive answers, so I decided to try here. I've been taking 5-htp regularly for about 2 years now, 100mg per night to elevate my mood and as a sleep-aid. It has worked rather wonderfully for these purposes :) I've had breaks from it from a few days to one month now and then too, but have been taking it pretty regularly for the last 6 months. Today I was prescribed Tramadol for post-surgical pain in my right patella (broke it in an accident a week ago), and regarding it's SSRI/SNRI qualities I'm concerned about the possible risk of serotonin syndrome :? The last time I took 5-htp was last Sunday, about 12 pm, so is there still a risk and should I wait for a day or two, or is it safe to take a small dose (50 mg) of Tramadol now? This might be an overly cautious approach for many, but I've had an experience with a case of mild serotonin syndrome before (combined dxm with 5-htp - fucking stupid, I know) which was a hellish experience, so all input would be appreciated! :)

So your last dose of 5-htp was 100 mg 3½ days ago?
Then there shouldn't be any problems in taking the tramadol.

Yeah, I took 50 mgs of Tramal (the brand name where I live) in a water-soluble-pill form. At first I felt a bit nervous, but after it started kicking in the pain decreased comfortably yet I didn't feel drowsy or "slow" at all, as I've felt with other opiates, mostly codeine, actually rather energetic for a couple of hours :) Now feeling rather calm, redosed with another 50 mg just now :) Though I suppose this is not something that I should take before going to sleep as it doesn't really make you sleepy..