• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe warning to those on suboxone and methadone maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

down508

Bluelighter
Hey sorry if this isn't allowed, but I figured its important enough that people should be aware. I recently moved back with my parents, one of the advantages being free food. I'm on suboxone for the past 14 months, I like my doctor and look forward to seeing him every month. I've never failed a drug test the entire time I've gone there. anyways so I went to see him on Thursday, and he informed me I failed the test for opiates/morphine. I asked him to do the test again since I haven't touched opiates since I started taking suboxone. he said he would send it out but regardless of the test he trusts me and my word holds more weight than the test.

so I get out and tell my mom what happened, and ask her to take me to a lab to get my own confirmation test done. so I get a gcms test done for opiates and today I got the results. I had over 1000 nanograms per ml and came back positive with the cutoff at 2000. While pondering what could have caused this with my mother she reminded me that I have been eating a lot of bagels since I moved in, most of which were poppy seed. I'd heard that this could happen but never experienced it. I ate 2 the day before and one that morning. so I did some research, obviously testing companies claim its impossible, but less biased sources say that if the cutoff is 300 it is very likely this will happen, but at 2000 very unlikely this is supposedly the reason why the cutoff was raised to 2000 in recent years.

so if you are on methadone or suboxone don't make the same mistake I did and eat poppy seed bagels the day before or of the appointment, if I hadn't been going for so long I could have been kicked out of my clinic for eating baked goods. if I was still on probation I could ne sent to prison. I read most commercial bakeries wash their seeds, but low and behold these bagels were from a mom and pop small bakery.

this raises another question, can one extract significant amounts of morphine from poppy seeds? There just be a good amount in there to cause a 1000+ ug/ml positive test.

anyways, how should I convince my doctor that this is the case? There's nothing worst then people looking at you like you are lying when you're not. what should I do?

Bluelight doesn't allow drug testing questions. In fact, the cut off limits were increased to avoid false positives such as this. I highly doubt a poppy seed bagel is the reason you failed. I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.