• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Cymbalta warning

Foreigner

Bluelighter
Just thought I'd share this bit of info with the community.

A friend of mine has been taking a newer SNRI called Cymbalta (duloxetine) to manage her depression and mental alertness levels. It's new enough that the patent is still valid and there's no generic version out yet.

A few months ago she started having gradually more severe joint pain and inflammation, jaundice, along with blurry vision and hair loss. She went to the doctor and had bloodwork done, and she tested positive for the autoimmune disease Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). The doctor was about to prescribe her immune suppressants but my friend held off and went home to do more research.

It turns out that one of the rare side effects of Cymbalta is lupus, and most doctors aren't even aware of it yet as it's not on the popular list of side effects and it's buried a bit deeper in the pharmacy manual literature. Once my friend quit Cymbalta her lupus went away but it took about a month.

Does anyone else have information or experience with this they could share?

Yikes! :(

I'm sorry to hear that your friend went through that, but am glad that the Lupus wasn't permanent, and eventually went away when they quit taking Cymbalta.

It's reactions like these that make me wish pharm companies would list more side effects when promoting new drugs to doctors. That way the docs realize that it's the drug causing the problem and can react accordingly.

Wow that sucks ! ! Thanks for the warning, I was thinking about cymbalta for fibromyalgia but not anymore hahaha . I'm glad your friend is doing better though :)

I've been weaning myself off 60 mg Cymbalta. I used to take it daily. Got myself now to every three days.
It didn't help much for pain, just depression for me anyway.

i took cymbalta and it was the only anti depressant that did anything for me and i had no bad side effects with it and when it stopped working and i quit taking it i had no wds