• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I'm really worried and freaked out right now

XRufio84X

Greenlighter
I looked through the forums and didn't know where to post this but I do know that DXM can be a dissociative/hallucinogen. This is a night I was NOT prepared for. I'm NOT trying to get messed up just to get that out of the way. This is serious and I would really appreciate some kind advice/help :?. Nobody knows anything on other sites and everyone here seems pretty damn knowledgeable. So I've been on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) 200mg twice a day for a month now, which as far as I can tell by how it affects me and what I learned in Med School, is maybe a psychostimulant? Alright, so I've been researching Wellbutrin extensively learning the areas of the brain it effects and whatnot. So it's a norepinephrine dopamine reuptake Inhibitor (NDRI) I think, much like Adderall, Ritalin and even Cocaine. Please correct me if I'm wrong with all this. The Wellbutrin has really been helping me get my motivation back and helped me to stop wallowing in my depression (my little brother overdosed on Heroin last year.....) sigh', So here's my question after all that backround info...I have been very sick this week mainly coughing, mucus, you know all that drama. I'm freaked out because I didn't research the interaction with Wellbutrin and cold medicines. :eek:. So, I got cough medicine earlier (Only Dextromethorphan HBr) and an expectorant (Guaifenesin). I got them separately because I wanted to know which one I shouldn't take with Wellbutrin. Playing it safe because I've had a lot of unexpected painful results when I dont. That's why I didn't just buy the DXM/Guaifenesin combo. I just now took six 5ml tablespoons of only the cough suppressant an hour ago because I can't sleep. I'm friggin coughing so much. The only ingredient is the DXM liked I mentioned. It's been an hour and the cough finally stopped....BUT NOW I'M TRIPPING There is no way I should be where I'm at...this should NOT have me on borderline 3rd plateau, being 6"0 tall and 185 pounds...but I'm there. This is the most visual 3rd Plateau experience I've had....Ever, (I took DXM for fun back in highschool) and I barely took 100mg of the DXM. What the hell? So will I be okay? Psychosis? Serotonin Syndrome? What I'm worried about the most is having a seizure. Please anybody, I really hope this makes sense. I need some expertise and help here.

DXM and Wellbutrin shouldn't be mixed, it'll cause you to trip out and be anxious for a while. This is caused from an excess of norepinephrine causing hypertension, panic etc.

It probably won't kill you, just raise your blood pressure for a while. That said, 90mg (6x5 = 30ml @ 3mg/ml = 90mg) isn't a very big dose of DXM at all. Depending on your country a "tablespoon" may be 15ml - so you could in theory have ingested up to 270mg though. May want to check that.

Go have a glass of cold water and lay down. You'll be fine in a few hours. It's unlikely you'll have a seizure or suffer any permanent damage. You'll probably feel like shit for a day or so though.

For future refrence, dextromethrophan is not a sedative. In fact it's a sertonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It's mildly stimulating.
You probably want diphenhydramine if you want to knock yourself off.

Bupropion can potentiate DXM. Bupropion is an inhibitor of CYP2D6 enzyme activity and DXM is metabolized by this enzyme into one of its active metabolites, DXO. DXO is active and responsible for some of the effects of DXM, but I believe that it is weaker in some ways than DXM itself, although DXO is much more potent as an NMDA receptor antagonist (as well as inactive as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor). So if you take bupropion with DXM you would be getting more of the DXM and less of the DXO [source].
A drug interaction checker lists bupropion as increasing plasma levels of DXM and suggests taking a lower than usual dose of DXM.

Bupropion is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and releaser and a noncompetitive noncompetitive nicotinic receptor antagonist. It also indirectly enhances the firing of serotonergic neurons. DXM is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, among other things. So there may be some additional interaction in this regard, as norepinephrine would be increased taking both of the drugs together and serotonergic activity slightly enhanced (since there is more DXM, which is more serotonergic than DXO, and since bupropion indirectly enhances the firing of seortonergic neurons).

So my understanding is that serotonin syndrome or anything serious is not a worry and the bupropion basically just made the DXM stronger. Hope you feel better :)

sekio said:
For future refrence, dextromethrophan is not a sedative. In fact it's a sertonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It's mildly stimulating.
You probably want diphenhydramine if you want to knock yourself off.

In normal doses DXM can make you sleepy/drowsy though. Lots of people do use it for sleep. It can put me to sleep but personally I find it can be kind of like alcohol in that it doesn't tend to give a good quality or long sleep. One study (in children with coughs) found that neither diphenhydramine nor DXM improved sleep quality when compared with placebo, although both made some participants drowsy, and that insomnia was reported more frequently in those who were given DXM, and drowsiness was reported more frequently in those who were given diphenhydramine.

Swimmingdancer: I appreciate the information, It makes a lot more sense now, making me less confused and I'm calmer (not even close to normal though lol). Oh, and I have xanax for sleep. Or we're you saying that benadryl would intesify a robo trip?

Yes I think it should - I wasn't saying that before, just me and sekio were talking about using it for sleep in general, but Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is also a CYP2D6 inhibitor so presumably it would increase the amount of DXM and decrease the amount of DXO as well. It would be most pronounced if taken at the same time as or before the DXM, but I would avoid taking any Benadryl tonight. I'm not sure about the Xanax but didn't find any listed interaction with DXM on a drug checker.

Last edited: