• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Which speedball combo is risker? Cocaine/Heroin or Meth/Heroin?

Stimlover22

Bluelighter
I have a high meth tolerance, somewhat high cocaine tolerance and zero opiate tolerance but would like to try a small speedball combo once with my normal meth dose with a dab of heroin and put it in the vein. But is it riskier to use meth with this combo vs cocaine like i am assuming?

I'm no expert but it seems to me if you never really take opiates you probably shouldn't be doing a combo with heroin as far as harm reduction goes.

Well, they're both dangerous because the effects of the stimulant will mask the side effects of the depressant (heroin in your case) and the effects of the heroin will mask the effects of the stimulant.

Given that cocaine has a 1-2 hour duration of action (we're talking single dose here - shorter duration of action if you're going the IV route) and methamphetamine has a longer duration of action (again, depending on the ROA....but its still much longer than cocaine) - this is a tricky question.

If you were to mix heroin and methamphetamine at the same time...chances are the methamphetamine is going to be going strong when the heroin wears off. However, since you have a tolerance to stimulants...the duration could be shorter.

On the other hand, if you were to mix heroin and cocaine at the same time...chances are the heroin is going to last a bit longer than the cocaine.

As I mentioned before, the true danger of the speedball (and other "psuedo-speedballs") is that one drug counter-acts the side effects of the other drug, so many users end up taking more. A lot of speedball deaths (and overdoses) occur when the user consumes too much of a depressant (historically a "true speedball" is morphine and cocaine in the same needle - but since heroin is a morphine pro-drug...) because the stimulant is masking the fact that the user is actually overdosing on the depressant. Once the stimulant wears off, however, the overdose occurs. Contrary to popular belief, mixing uppers and downers (not just opiates and cocaine - I'm talking uppers and downers in general now) does not actually "pull your heart in two different directions".

Sorry this isn't just a cut-and-dry answer....

If you have no opiate tolerance, please don't inject heroin. That's a surefire way to overdose accidentally.

IMO it's more deserving of the term speedball though ;)

I'd prefer morphine/meth over the OG morphine/cocaine tho, $0.02.

Morphine/Cocaine was the original speedball. Heroin took morphine's place as morphines popularity waned and heroins rose.

^This. As I mentioned earlier, the OG speedball is morphine and cocaine in the same needle. But, as kokaino mentioned, heroin is far more popular now and has basically taken morphine's place. Of course, heroin is a morphine pro-drug so they're still pretty darn close in the grand scheme of things.

I would guess (and this is just a guess) that cocaine + heroin is more dangerous. There are two reasons for this.

Reason #1 is my understanding is that one reason the speedball is so dangerous is that the cocaine masks the effects of the heroin, so you do too much heroin, then the cocaine wears off, the heroin takes full effect and you go out. With meth being long acting, it will continue to work and keep you awake despite the presence of the heroin. Of course that doesn't make it any safer to do more heroin and it is quite possible to overdose even before the stimulant wears off because even being on a stimuilant wont prevent the respiratory depression from heroin.

Reason #2 Cocaine is generally a bit more dangerous to the users heart than methamphetamine.

Please if you are going to try this combo, be extremely careful. Even if you dont feel the heroin, DO NOT keep doing more because it is working, the effects are simply masked by the stim. And do not inject heroin unless you have a tolerance and know what youre doing. Injecting heroin for a first time or newbie user is a bad idea.